Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sb1250 ? - Regulation of firearms by state entities.

Post Sb1250 ? - Regulation of firearms by state entities.

SB 1250 Firearms; regulation by state entities.
    Jill Holtzman Vogel | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles another bill?Log inLIS Home- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Bills & ResolutionsMembersCommitteesMeetingsCalendarsCommu nicationsMinutesStatisticsLobbyist-in-a-Box

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary as introduced:
    Regulation of firearms by state entities. Prohibits any department, agency, or other entity of the Commonwealth from adopting or enforcing any rule, regulation, or policy regarding firearms or ammunition except for those rules, regulations, or policies expressly authorized by statute. Any rule, regulation, or policy adopted prior to July 1, 2011, without express statutory authority would be invalid. The prohibition would not apply to local, state, or regional correctional facilities or facilities operated by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.

"
    says Mr. Van Cleave, "and that's why VCDL is backing Senator [Jill Holtzman] Vogel's bill" to preempt state agencies from banning gun carry anywhere in the Commonwealth.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Va. Gov. Bob Mcdonnell moves to enforce universal right to open carry - Washington DC gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-washington-dc/va-gov-bob-mcdonnell-moves-to-enforce-universal-right-to-open-carry#ixzz1BSGoZNqz"

Does this apply to schools?
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    SB 1250 Firearms; regulation by state entities.
    Jill Holtzman Vogel | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles another bill?Log inLIS Home- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Bills & ResolutionsMembersCommitteesMeetingsCalendarsCommu nicationsMinutesStatisticsLobbyist-in-a-Box

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary as introduced:
    Regulation of firearms by state entities. Prohibits any department, agency, or other entity of the Commonwealth from adopting or enforcing any rule, regulation, or policy regarding firearms or ammunition except for those rules, regulations, or policies expressly authorized by statute. Any rule, regulation, or policy adopted prior to July 1, 2011, without express statutory authority would be invalid. The prohibition would not apply to local, state, or regional correctional facilities or facilities operated by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.

"
    says Mr. Van Cleave, "and that's why VCDL is backing Senator [Jill Holtzman] Vogel's bill" to preempt state agencies from banning gun carry anywhere in the Commonwealth.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Va. Gov. Bob Mcdonnell moves to enforce universal right to open carry - Washington DC gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...#ixzz1BSGoZNqz"

Does this apply to schools?
    Applies to public universities, which are state agencies. K-12 ban would not be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Applies to public universities, which are state agencies. K-12 ban would not be affected.
    but what about local community colleges?
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

but what about local community colleges?
    I don't think they're any different than public universities.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC.HTM#T0008

eta: just remembered that local community colleges are in the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).
    eta2: The State Board for Community Colleges is the governing body of the Virginia Community College System. Appointed by the Governor for up to two four-year terms, the board’s 15 members meet six times a year to set policy for all of Virginia’s community colleges.

http://www.vccs.edu/WhoWeAre/StateBo...0/Default.aspx
    Last edited by nova; 01-19-2011 at 12:38 AM.

I don't think they're any different than public universities.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC.HTM#T0008

eta: just remembered that local community colleges are in the Virginia Community College System (VCCS)...under the General Assembly.
    So in other words, if the bill pass, then carry = legal?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-19-2011 at 12:38 AM.

that's how I understand it, and several people I've talked to confirmed.
    Agreed.

"All state agencies" means ALL state agencies.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

nvm I found it.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-19-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Yay! This is my pet issue. What is being done to ensure the passage of this bill?

I will definitely write my representatives in its favor.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Yay! This is my pet issue. What is being done to ensure the passage of this bill?

I will definitely write my representatives in its favor.
    How do I find out who my representatives ? I would love to write to them.

Who's My Legislator?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Good idea. Gun rights activists should know who represents them

Go Here:
    http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Go Here:
    Thank you both :-)

Does me no good

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Go Here:
    I'm stuck with Kaye Kory, Dick Saslaw, and Jim Moran as my representatives in the GA/HoR. I strongly doubt that anything I write or say would help convince any of them to support our side.

Sigh.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Thank you both :-)
    You might want to bookmark the site. The legislative Information tool is great for tracking bills.
    VCDL has a tracking system online but only gun bills. Unfortunately, I have a couple hundred bills I'm following as well as committee meeting schedules, who is on the committees, Etc.

It's a useful site.

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    I'm stuck with Kaye Kory, Dick Saslaw, and Jim Moran as my representatives in the GA/HoR. I strongly doubt that anything I write or say would help convince any of them to support our side.

Sigh.
    Tell them what you think.

Sigh.
    Know your enemy and he becomes your friend.

They're great to sit down with when you want to kill a bill.
    Even Buzzards have a place in the world.

Sigh.
    My senator is George Barker. I broached the issue of universities when he came by my house, and he didn't seem too enthusiastic. I will write him anyway. He must make the choice to support the rights of those of his constituents who would choose to exercise them, or to act on the fears of those of his constituents who would deprive others of their rights.

While no constituent can force the hand of their representative, our input necessarily renders the representative's decision actions to be the result of a moral choice (even if the action is inaction). This burden at least, we can place on their heads, to live with as they are able, and to cope with in whatever reckoning or judgement they may anticipate in life or after death.

Why is SB1250 being referred to the Rules Committee?

Senate Rules

Membership: Whipple (Chairman), Colgan, Saslaw, Houck, Miller, Y.B., Howell, Marsh, Lucas, Ticer, Puller, Locke, Wampler, Quayle, Norment, Edwards, Puckett, Newman

Meets: Upon Call of the Chair in Senate Room A

Why, the Democrats can call for a meeting on a whim and kill the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post

Senate Rules

Membership: Whipple (Chairman), Colgan, Saslaw, Houck, Miller, Y.B., Howell, Marsh, Lucas, Ticer, Puller, Locke, Wampler, Quayle, Norment, Edwards, Puckett, Newman

Meets: Upon Call of the Chair in Senate Room A

Why, the Democrats can call for a meeting on a whim and kill the bill.

We should close this thread and all discussion related to SB1250 so that the antis monitoring this board won't know what this bill really does. As it is, Phil is promoting SB1250 as a way to clear up inconsistencies in state park and forest regulations, and I think that we should try to keep it that way.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    We should close this thread and all discussion related to SB1250 so that the antis monitoring this board won't know what this bill really does. As it is, Phil is promoting SB1250 as a way to clear up inconsistencies in state park and forest regulations, and I think that we should try to keep it that way.
    Yes good state parks and forests lock it

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Sigh.
    You and me both -- same reps. I made a major move toward freedom by moving from maryland to Virginia, only to end up in Moran's district... and now I find out that Kory and Saslaw are not much better ... BUT! I'm still in Virginia, and not the PRM!

I am trying to get my Legisaltors in Georgia to Adopt similiar Legislation.

So in other words, if the bill pass, then carry = legal?
    Even if this passes there are federal places where carry would still be subject to arbitrary and often unconstitutional sanction within the Commonwealth.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Carrying a gun should be like carrying a hammer. Not ever a crime unless you whack somebody upside the head with it...

TFred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast