• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sb1250 ? - Regulation of firearms by state entities.

ocholsteroc

SB 1250 Firearms; regulation by state entities.
Jill Holtzman Vogel | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles another bill?Log inLIS Home- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Bills & ResolutionsMembersCommitteesMeetingsCalendarsCommunicationsMinutesStatisticsLobbyist-in-a-Box

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary as introduced:
Regulation of firearms by state entities. Prohibits any department, agency, or other entity of the Commonwealth from adopting or enforcing any rule, regulation, or policy regarding firearms or ammunition except for those rules, regulations, or policies expressly authorized by statute. Any rule, regulation, or policy adopted prior to July 1, 2011, without express statutory authority would be invalid. The prohibition would not apply to local, state, or regional correctional facilities or facilities operated by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.

"
says Mr. Van Cleave, "and that's why VCDL is backing Senator [Jill Holtzman] Vogel's bill" to preempt state agencies from banning gun carry anywhere in the Commonwealth.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Va. Gov. Bob Mcdonnell moves to enforce universal right to open carry - Washington DC gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-washington-dc/va-gov-bob-mcdonnell-moves-to-enforce-universal-right-to-open-carry#ixzz1BSGoZNqz"

Does this apply to schools?

nova

SB 1250 Firearms; regulation by state entities.
Jill Holtzman Vogel | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles another bill?Log inLIS Home- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Bills & ResolutionsMembersCommitteesMeetingsCalendarsCommunicationsMinutesStatisticsLobbyist-in-a-Box

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary as introduced:
Regulation of firearms by state entities. Prohibits any department, agency, or other entity of the Commonwealth from adopting or enforcing any rule, regulation, or policy regarding firearms or ammunition except for those rules, regulations, or policies expressly authorized by statute. Any rule, regulation, or policy adopted prior to July 1, 2011, without express statutory authority would be invalid. The prohibition would not apply to local, state, or regional correctional facilities or facilities operated by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.

"
says Mr. Van Cleave, "and that's why VCDL is backing Senator [Jill Holtzman] Vogel's bill" to preempt state agencies from banning gun carry anywhere in the Commonwealth.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Va. Gov. Bob Mcdonnell moves to enforce universal right to open carry - Washington DC gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...e-universal-right-to-open-carry#ixzz1BSGoZNqz"

Does this apply to schools?

Applies to public universities, which are state agencies. K-12 ban would not be affected.

nova

but what about local community colleges?

I don't think they're any different than public universities.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC.HTM#T0008

eta: just remembered that local community colleges are in the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).
eta2: The State Board for Community Colleges is the governing body of the Virginia Community College System. Appointed by the Governor for up to two four-year terms, the board’s 15 members meet six times a year to set policy for all of Virginia’s community colleges.

http://www.vccs.edu/WhoWeAre/StateBoard/tabid/100/Default.aspx

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thank you both :)

You might want to bookmark the site. The legislative Information tool is great for tracking bills.
VCDL has a tracking system online but only gun bills. Unfortunately, I have a couple hundred bills I'm following as well as committee meeting schedules, who is on the committees, Etc.

It's a useful site.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm stuck with Kaye Kory, Dick Saslaw, and Jim Moran as my representatives in the GA/HoR. I strongly doubt that anything I write or say would help convince any of them to support our side.

Sigh.

Know your enemy and he becomes your friend.

They're great to sit down with when you want to kill a bill.
Even Buzzards have a place in the world.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'm stuck with Kaye Kory, Dick Saslaw, and Jim Moran as my representatives in the GA/HoR. I strongly doubt that anything I write or say would help convince any of them to support our side.

Sigh.

My senator is George Barker. I broached the issue of universities when he came by my house, and he didn't seem too enthusiastic. I will write him anyway. He must make the choice to support the rights of those of his constituents who would choose to exercise them, or to act on the fears of those of his constituents who would deprive others of their rights.

While no constituent can force the hand of their representative, our input necessarily renders the representative's decision actions to be the result of a moral choice (even if the action is inaction). This burden at least, we can place on their heads, to live with as they are able, and to cope with in whatever reckoning or judgement they may anticipate in life or after death.

Repeater

Why is SB1250 being referred to the Rules Committee?

Senate Rules

Membership: Whipple (Chairman), Colgan, Saslaw, Houck, Miller, Y.B., Howell, Marsh, Lucas, Ticer, Puller, Locke, Wampler, Quayle, Norment, Edwards, Puckett, Newman

Meets: Upon Call of the Chair in Senate Room A

Why, the Democrats can call for a meeting on a whim and kill the bill.

ocholsteroc

Senate Rules

Membership: Whipple (Chairman), Colgan, Saslaw, Houck, Miller, Y.B., Howell, Marsh, Lucas, Ticer, Puller, Locke, Wampler, Quayle, Norment, Edwards, Puckett, Newman

Meets: Upon Call of the Chair in Senate Room A

Why, the Democrats can call for a meeting on a whim and kill the bill.

:confused:

VApatriot

We should close this thread and all discussion related to SB1250 so that the antis monitoring this board won't know what this bill really does. As it is, Phil is promoting SB1250 as a way to clear up inconsistencies in state park and forest regulations, and I think that we should try to keep it that way.