• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H.R. 308 - To prohibit the transfer or possession of large capacity magazines

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
The worse part is that as it is written now we would have prove that we owned the mags before the ban. Without serialization or even receipts this bill is a jail sentence waiting to happen for millions of gun owners. I agree the is little chance of this passing but should the worst happen I'm thinking I will be putting my mags and attached firearms into a trust like an NFA trust, and said trust will be set up to include family, close friends and folks who haven't been born yet. Keeps the mags in circulation beyond my lifespan. Lawyers are sometimes very useful to keep around.

TFred

The worse part is that as it is written now we would have prove that we owned the mags before the ban. Without serialization or even receipts this bill is a jail sentence waiting to happen for millions of gun owners. I agree the is little chance of this passing but should the worst happen I'm thinking I will be putting my mags and attached firearms into a trust like an NFA trust, and said trust will be set up to include family, close friends and folks who haven't been born yet. Keeps the mags in circulation beyond my lifespan. Lawyers are sometimes very useful to keep around.
No doubt it's a horrible bill, and I don't think it stands a chance.

But wouldn't this section mean that any magazine not so marked would have to be assumed to be legal and grandfathered?

(d) Identification Markings- Section 923(i) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following: ‘A large capacity ammunition feeding device manufactured after the date of the enactment of this sentence shall be identified by a serial number that clearly shows that the device was manufactured after such date of enactment, and such other identification as the Attorney General may by regulation prescribe.’.​

TFred

nuc65

Activist Member
(d) Identification Markings- Section 923(i) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following: ‘A large capacity ammunition feeding device manufactured after the date of the enactment of this sentence shall be identified by a serial number that clearly shows that the device was manufactured after such date of enactment, and such other identification as the Attorney General may by regulation prescribe.’.​

TFred

I wonder about that, adding another serial number for tracking ads costs and burden to the manufacturer, consumer and taxpayer as new databases are created.

Thundar

Incorrect.

(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

‘(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to the possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed within the United States on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.​

Both transfer and possession are in clause (i). Clause (ii) exempts all "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" that predate the date of enactment from the entirety of clause (i), both possession and transfer limitations.

Clause 2 only exempts possession of existing magazines. There is no doubt. That is why the used posession and posessed in the same sentence. "...shall not apply to the possession ...lawfully possessed...before...."

Last edited: