• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long term effects of UOC

Superlite27

As an out of stater, I have been watching the UOC movement in CA with avid curiosity. As all of you probably already know, the rest of the U.S. pretty much packs cocked and locked with one in the pipe. I think I can speak for the rest of the nation on wishing your entire state the best when it comes to loosening your draconian restrictions and giving California's law abiding gun owners the freedom they deserve.

I have encountered several videos of Californians firing from the holster while UOC'ing. I am highly impressed because I have noticed there are some freaks out there who can drop a mag as they draw, insert a magazine, rack the slide, and fire.......in an incredible blink of an eye! As an IDPA shooter, quick mag changes are a bonus, but I have honestly never seen the speed and quickness with which many California UOC'ers are putting their weapons into readiness.

So I have a question for those who UOC:

Do you think the long term effects of required UOC are beneficial, or detrimental to your proficiency as a firearms shooter? I am torn between two differing trains of thought. In my opinion, the long term effects of UOC is going to have one of two possible outcomes:

1) Having been required to perform the process of mag drop/load/rack in order to put their firearm into operation, California Open Carriers will become so proficient at this process, they will benefit by acquiring an adept level of proficiency with their firearms other state's rsidents will find hard to match.

2) Having been required to perform the process of mag drop/load/rack in order to put their firearm into operation, California Open Carriers will become so accustomed to this process, it will be hard to alter the muscle memory developed by this process, resulting in the tendency to drop (a loaded mag)/load (another loaded mag)/rack (an already chambered round) if loaded carry is ever adopted in California.

So what opinions do you Californians have on this? Do you think the outcome of UOC will turn out to increase your overall proficiency, or develop unwanted habits over the long run?

hgreen

As an out of stater, I have been watching the UOC movement in CA with avid curiosity. As all of you probably already know, the rest of the U.S. pretty much packs cocked and locked with one in the pipe. I think I can speak for the rest of the nation on wishing your entire state the best when it comes to loosening your draconian restrictions and giving California's law abiding gun owners the freedom they deserve.

I have encountered several videos of Californians firing from the holster while UOC'ing. I am highly impressed because I have noticed there are some freaks out there who can drop a mag as they draw, insert a magazine, rack the slide, and fire.......in an incredible blink of an eye! As an IDPA shooter, quick mag changes are a bonus, but I have honestly never seen the speed and quickness with which many California UOC'ers are putting their weapons into readiness.

So I have a question for those who UOC:

Do you think the long term effects of required UOC are beneficial, or detrimental to your proficiency as a firearms shooter? I am torn between two differing trains of thought. In my opinion, the long term effects of UOC is going to have one of two possible outcomes:

1) Having been required to perform the process of mag drop/load/rack in order to put their firearm into operation, California Open Carriers will become so proficient at this process, they will benefit by acquiring an adept level of proficiency with their firearms other state's rsidents will find hard to match.

2) Having been required to perform the process of mag drop/load/rack in order to put their firearm into operation, California Open Carriers will become so accustomed to this process, it will be hard to alter the muscle memory developed by this process, resulting in the tendency to drop (a loaded mag)/load (another loaded mag)/rack (an already chambered round) if loaded carry is ever adopted in California.

So what opinions do you Californians have on this? Do you think the outcome of UOC will turn out to increase your overall proficiency, or develop unwanted habits over the long run?

I would ask, how many times has someone who is open carrying (anywhere in the US) had to actually draw and fire their firearm for self-defense?

I think 99.999% of crime that would occur around someone is deterred if there is someone open carrying, mitigating the need to actually draw the firearm.

The unconstitutional restriction of being unloaded and allowing officers to VERIFY that the guns are unloaded should not even remotely be considered a good thing. If someone wants to be proficient drawing, dropping, racking, etc.. They will do that regardless of state mandates. Further, most OCers carry loaded concealed or loaded open at home so the "muscle memory" of drawing from UOC is mixed.

Born2Lose

UOC is simply put..better than nothing.
I think the muscle memory isn't an issue because if Kalifornia did go to LOC :rolleyes: i would carry my XD with full mag and one in the chamber.
Since there is no "safety" in the traditional sense on an XD i'd merely draw, aim, fire.

Decoligny

UOC is simply put..better than nothing.
I think the muscle memory isn't an issue because if Kalifornia did go to LOC :rolleyes: i would carry my XD with full mag and one in the chamber.
Since there is no "safety" in the traditional sense on an XD i'd merely draw, aim, fire.

When I practice at my out in the desert, I practice drawing with an empty magazine, dropping the magazine, inserting a full magazine, rack the slide, aim, fire till empty, reload. If you practice the way you would have to react in real life, then you are ready for when bad things happen and will react the way you practice.

If they passed a law today allowing Loaded Open Carry, the first thing I would do, is go to my practice spot and change my practice routine to draw, aim, fire till empty, reload. I would probably instinctively drop a few magazines at first, but I would continue this new routine until muscle memory was retaught and new instinctive reactions were firmly established.

Muscle memory is NOT permanent, it can be rewritten.