• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oh, boy - Possible entrapment? An actual trap? Or just prank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been There

Negativity

Can't we all get along?!!

It's bad enough that gun haters are attacking us, but we don't need to be fighting amongst ourselves.

This forum is for personal experience and thoughts so others can learn and relate to these situations.

A forethought to a hind sight.
Lets pick our battles more thoughtfully!! :banghead:

Please Brothers!!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ok, here we are a couple of days later, so it's time here at 5am to address some of these issues:

Possibly an attempt to get you to call 911, thus inducing swatting

Could be. I wasn't familiar with the term until now. I think the unit near where I live was interesting, but dang, I live a block from the local division, so it's really not all that interesting.

Well, I tried.

Dang.

Reported to the Admin, eye95. Even in jest, I don't tolerate your brand of humor.

I think this needs to be investigated.

Have you started a paper trail with the Police?

What if the same caller had called 911 seven minutes earlier and reported that someone was coming to kill her?

It was a personal call, and given my level of service, there's nothing to show. I've a friend who works at Comcast, and he can't find anything, either.

For the harsh critics, lets keep in mind that he did think.

Caught off guard, his tendency was to accept the report at face value, as some of us might. When he saw the cop, he asked about 911. When the line went dead, rather than charge forward in a frantic panic to save his friend, he originated a call to who he thought had called him.

It all worked out.

There is a difference between critiquing and and harsh criticizism. Lets stick with the critique. This is how we learn--by sharing our experiences.

I thank you for your voice of reason, Citizen. :)

Tons. Thanks.

It was obviously a mobile phone. How many people does anyone here know that doesn't look to see who is calling? I know no one that doesn't. No way to post a link to verify and no way to disprove it either. Possible but not plausible.

Hiding caller ID is simple. Something like *67 in my neck of the woods (I think).

What entrapment, for what reason? What actual trap, for what resason?

I honestly don't know. Part of the reason I posted. Just to get some imput. This is new to me, too.

Sorry, 9, I call BS on this one.

Yeah, ok. I respect your right to do so.
Not saying it definitely is BS

Well, I was there. I know what it sounds like. Still, I was there. (sighs)

SIGguy229

...and what did you think you were going to do when you got there? So what...you have a gun and a holster. BFD. Were you going to whip out your CCW badge or put on your CCW sash and go in guns a'blazin?

Sounds like you need to think more and do less. You are not a cop. You are a citizen with a gun.

eye95

But...but...but...Guys, you have been specifically instructed to PM the OP with "anything further." You're in trouble now!

William Fisher

Lol.

As for OP, jumping up to "respond" was a terrible idea in the first place. You should have called the police. I mean what were you expecting to do if this was not a trick? Go in, shoot the bad guys and rescue you friend? You should have never left the house, you especially should not have grabbed your gun to head to a possible active shooter/ hostage scene. If there were other LEOs on sight and an actual hostage situation was taking place, you may have been mistaken for a threat.

What were you thinking?

--Edit-- Also, if you saw the LEO and you still thought there was a hostage situation inside, why wouldn't flag down the LEO or again call them in the first place.

Very good advice. I have to think though: 'How easy is it for a hostage to make a phone call, much less recieve one'. Going off half cocked with a handgun though is why many people don't want us armed in the first place.

since9

Campaign Veteran
After you answered, did the person call you by name, or what exactly did they say?

No, they didn't call me by name. I just assumed it was my friend, as it sounded like her and I was expecting her call.

I appreciate your comments, people. Thanks.

If they didn't call the OP by name, my money is on a wrong number.

Sounds reasonable to me.

bom1911

I used to have a phone number that was close to that of a local sports complex. People got confused all the time. Is your phone number similar to the police?

coorsleftfield

Open Carry is a right, and cannot be yanked. That sort of attitude makes me sick.

Open carry may be a right (although it's not in some states because you can't do it legally, thus it's not a right there).

But it's a "right" we can lose if gun owners do idiotic things, like grab their gun and "respond" to an incident like they are are a police officer. (instead of calling the police like a reasonable person would do)

eye95

Open carry may be a right (although it's not in some states because you can't do it legally, thus it's not a right there).

But it's a "right" we can lose if gun owners do idiotic things, like grab their gun and "respond" to an incident like they are are a police officer. (instead of calling the police like a reasonable person would do)

It is a right everywhere in this nation. Some governments try to abridge that right.

A right cannot be "lost" by the actions of others. Governments are physically able to oppress. Some do that as a way of controlling all in the vain attempt to stop a few. That does not mean that the actions they stop are not rights.

But, make no mistake, keeping and bearing arms is a RIGHT.

coorsleftfield

I agree with you in principal, but in practice, go open carry in a place like NYC and see if the court upholds your right to open carry. If it's truly a right, they should.

eye95

I agree with you in principal, but in practice, go open carry in a place like NYC and see if the court upholds your right to open carry. If it's truly a right, they should.

That they don't does not mean that it is truly a "right." They are just violating our rights.

When they abuse their power to abridge a right, it is all the more important that we continue to call it a right, lest the common thinking become that it is a privilege within the purview of government to restrict.

That is more or less what has already happened to the right to carry and what we are trying to undo. Let's don't play the government-authorized privilege game. Call it a right. When the State restricts it, call it a violated right.

Status
Not open for further replies.