• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 1395 Handgun; Class 1 misdeameanor for carrying while under the influence of alcoh

KBCraig

This is not a law to solve a problem, this is a hit on pretty much any open carrier.
Ditto. If anyone at the table has an alcoholic beverage (or even if a "cooperative" server delivers one to the table and it sits untouched), an unethical LEO could make an arrest for drinking while carrying.

Important note: while there is an "implied consent" to alcohol testing while driving, there is no such obligation while dining in public. An officer can make a case based on his observations, but you're under no obligation to assist him. Being offended, protesting, insisting on your rights, etc., will all look like someone behaving out of the norm (thus "impaired").

Again: Don't talk to the police!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe for you, maybe not for me, maybe not for the guy down the street.

Non-issue, needs to die.

Out of all the responses that address this so eloquently, This one puts it all in a nutshell.

Drinking is a personal issue, drunks are something else.
We can argue about drinking and carrying all day....but the Government needs to stay out of responsible drinking and let us decide that among ourselves.

And yes, it's a non issue.

Last edited:

mpd8488

I think most of us agree that carrying while drunk is a no-no, but what leads some to the conclusion that we should ban carrying after drinking any alcohol when there are so many other substances that can have adverse affects on cognitive abilities? Yes a drink or two will impair you somewhat, but so do many of the other things we do every day

What about the person who carries after suffering a debilitating back injury that requires her to take opiate based painkillers? Should she not be able to carry because those painkillers slow her down? What about folks who take allergy or cold medications? Many of those medications cause drowsiness. What about carrying while tired? Some studies have found that driving while tired is similar to driving after having a few drinks. In fact 56,000 car crashes are attributed to drowsiness each year (cite:http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4794514). If it is so dangerous for driving, isn't it just as bad for carrying?

Are any of those things any better or worse than having a beer while carrying?

Besides all that, if a drunken fool is open carrying, he can be cited for any number of offenses starting with public intoxication depending on what he/she is doing. Why add more laws? At the end of the day a misdemeanor does not revoke your right to carry openly anyways.

Last edited:

wylde007

I think most of us agree that carrying while drunk is a no-no
Drunk? Perhaps. But upon whose opinion? Yours? Mine?

It is no responsibility of ours to see a right legislated away for something we may consider taboo or improper.

Shall not be infringed. Period. There are no asterisks in the Bill of Rights as far as I am aware.

Red Dawg

But under VA law Class I Misde is up to 12 months and/or 2500 dollar fine. That kind of sucks. And I don't like the fact that is a discretionary law/statute. Who determines how far you can go?
Bad law...

mpd8488

Drunk? Perhaps. But upon whose opinion? Yours? Mine?

It is no responsibility of ours to see a right legislated away for something we may consider taboo or improper.

Shall not be infringed. Period. There are no asterisks in the Bill of Rights as far as I am aware.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. I was merely asking why is there such a controversy over drinking and carrying, but not over carrying while impaired in other ways? What makes alcohol so different?

For the record I have had a beer while carrying in a restaurant once and only once. It was Five Forks Cafe in Williamsburg. The server noticed my 1911 and asked whether it was legal. I informed her that since I was OCing, there was no law against it. She seemed a bit apprehensive at first, but that was the end of the discussion.

I choose not to do that any more, but I will stand behind anybody that believes that having a beer at a restaurant while OCing fits in perfectly with the mission of normalizing the sight of citizens carrying guns in their everyday lives.

wylde007

I choose not to do that any more, but I will stand behind anybody that believes that having a beer at a restaurant while OCing fits in perfectly with the mission of normalizing the sight of citizens carrying guns in their everyday lives.
Would you stand behind somebody who believes that there is absolutely no justifiable reason to infringe on the rights of others under the auspices of "safety"?

Many (most) laws are written as a way to quantify punishment for straying from some preconceived state of normalcy - an arbitrary and oft-times analogous perception of "decency".

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Would you stand behind somebody who believes that there is absolutely no justifiable reason to infringe on the rights of others under the auspices of "safety"?

Many (most) laws are written as a way to quantify punishment for straying from some preconceived state of normalcy - an arbitrary and oft-times analogous perception of "decency".

There are a lot of apples and oranges getting compared here.

I've said many times I don't want to be around someone drinking and carrying. That however..is my opinion, not law.

This thread started over a proposed law which I am absolutely against. The Government needs to butt out!

mpd8488

To answer you question, Yes I would. And I happen to hold that belief myself. You can't simply pick apart rights based on society's current definition of conforming behavior. Rights protect individuals that do unpopular things (in this discussion drinking while carrying), and anything less is an infringement.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. I was merely asking why is there such a controversy over drinking and carrying, but not over carrying while impaired in other ways? What makes alcohol so different?

In my mind, nothing. I think the standard should be "evidenced impairment", whatever the substance. But in the context of this thread, alcohol is special because alcohol is being singled out.

I would oppose this for any intoxicant. Blanket, black-and-white laws leave no room for the nuances of life. Which are where all the fun comes from!

FretlessMayhem

The wording

The wording of this (and i believe the current law regarding CC) always troubles me. In 2004 someone ended up shooting me due to poor gun safety. A .45 slug went through my foot destroying several bones. I can get around okay, but some days I have to take prescription painkillers to be able to walk. At any given time, if I were to be subjected to a drug screening, I could test positive for opioids.

I'm quite tolerant to them and they never impair my judgement by any means, but I always worry about what could potentially happen. The wording specifies illegal drugs, and I have a prescription. However, all it takes is the wrong cop on the wrong day...

celticredneck

I've finally figured out the whole LEO drinking and carrying while in the performance of their duty thing. They must undergo some sort of super secret special training in order to consume alcohol and not have it impair their judgment or impair their reaction time. If it works for drinking and driving, think of all of the lives it might save if they made this special training available, no mandatory for everyone in order to get a drivers license.

Note, I'm being sarcastic and I am not advocating driving under the influence or drinking while carrying. I don't. Heck, I don't even drink a beer during league bowling. I am uncoordinated enough without drinking.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
These penalties would be stacked!

So any person who carried a loaded gun, where concealed, or openly, into a restaurant which serves alcohol, and takes a sip, and, is convicted of even mere "public intoxication" (cl 4 misdemeanor with no requirement for any BAC level, just testomoney of police saying you appeared intoxicated) re any substance, even a legal prescription medicine for pain etc., would be guilty of 3 crimes with >3 penalties:

1 year imprisonment and fine for carrying the loaded gun while publicly intoxicated

6 month inprisonment and fine for taking a sip of wife's drink while in restaurant

Fine and night in jail to de-tox for being publicly intoxicated

5 Year loss of right to obtain a Virginia concealed handgun permit

Probably loss of, and a lifetime ban on obtaining, employment requiring a security clearance, or other job which requires a background check

FretlessMayhem

even a legal prescription medicine for pain etc.

Are you sure legal prescriptions would be included? From what I saw it said illegal drugs. As I said before, I am 100% taking a painkiller so I can walk in no way, shape, form, or fashion alters my judgement. And I can happily have my doctor, as well as the surgeon who operated on me to get the slug out come to court and state I have a valid medical need. It's not like I'm abusing a substance...

Repeater

Are you sure legal prescriptions would be included? From what I saw it said illegal drugs. As I said before, I am 100% taking a painkiller so I can walk in no way, shape, form, or fashion alters my judgement. And I can happily have my doctor, as well as the surgeon who operated on me to get the slug out come to court and state I have a valid medical need. It's not like I'm abusing a substance...

Perhaps Mike is referring to the Morrissey bill, which includes this vague language:

... or any other self-administered intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, ...

So does that include such meds as, what, Oxycodone?

There is a BIG difference between 'illegal' and 'illicit' -- do the gun-haters care?

FretlessMayhem

So does that include such meds as, what, Oxycodone?

There is a BIG difference between 'illegal' and 'illicit' -- do the gun-haters care?

In my case, I take Percocet on a semi-regular basis. Some days it's not so bad, but some days I can't walk. Typically after playing a rock show the night before, for instance.

I refuse to let having a disability stop me from having fun. If I have to take medicine occasionally, so be it.

t33j

Perhaps our representatives should be held to the same standard. No legislating under the influence of any substance. Wonder how much they'd like that.

CHILINVLN

So any person who carried a loaded gun, where concealed, or openly, into a restaurant which serves alcohol, and takes a sip, and, is convicted of even mere "public intoxication" (cl 4 misdemeanor with no requirement for any BAC level, just testomoney of police saying you appeared intoxicated) re any substance, even a legal prescription medicine for pain etc., would be guilty of 3 crimes with >3 penalties:

1 year imprisonment and fine for carrying the loaded gun while publicly intoxicated

6 month inprisonment and fine for taking a sip of wife's drink while in restaurant

Fine and night in jail to de-tox for being publicly intoxicated

5 Year loss of right to obtain a Virginia concealed handgun permit

Probably loss of, and a lifetime ban on obtaining, employment requiring a security clearance, or other job which requires a background check

This is the biggest fear I have with absolutely everything I do regarding my weapon, whether it's OC or CC.

Last edited:

Repeater

Perhaps our representatives should be held to the same standard. No legislating under the influence of any substance. Wonder how much they'd like that.

Man, that's scary accurate. Such a great idea -- no chance of becoming law.

"Any person who legislates under the influence of alcohol or any other self-administered intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor."

No chance whatsoever.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Man, that's scary accurate. Such a great idea -- no chance of becoming law.

"Any person who legislates under the influence of alcohol or any other self-administered intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor."

No chance whatsoever.

Yeah, they're all constantly intoxicated by their lust for power....

Roscoe