• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 01-19-2011: Johnston County Anti-Gun Ordinance - Meeting Tomorrow

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10684, Raleigh, NC 27605
919-664-8565, www.grnc.org, GRNC Alert Hotline: (919) 562-4137

GRNC Alert 01-19-2011:
Johnston County Anti-Gun Ordinance - Meeting Tomorrow

As we had told you earlier, the Johnston County commissioners are considering an ordinance to ban shooting of any kind of projectile within 600 feet of a dwelling. This would include BB and pellet guns. Upon questioning, county officials admitted that this would even include bows and arrows.

Due to your vocal feedback, they dropped back to see how they could soothe and go around you in trying to do this. So now the earlier meeting they had postponed will take place tomorrow. They have issued the following notice:

NOTICE OF MEETING

Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group

The Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group will be meeting on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. for the purpose of discussing a proposed Johnston County firearms ordinance. The meeting will be held in the Emergency Operations Center of the Johnston County Courthouse Law Enforcement Building located at 120 South Third Street, Smithfield, North Carolina. Anyone attending this meeting should use the Courthouse Law Enforcement Building entrance located on Third Street.

Please note that a final draft of the proposed firearms ordinance will be considered by the Johnston County Board of Commissioners during a public hearing to be scheduled and advertised at a later date.

Rick J. Hester
Johnston County Manager
(919) 989-5100

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

* If at all possible, be sure to attend this meeting on Jan. 19 at 6:00 p.m. Let's do our best to pack the room in the Emergency Operations Center of the Johnston County Courthouse Law Enforcement Building located at 120 South Third Street, Smithfield, North Carolina.

----------------------

You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/

-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

senojkj

Date correction

Please note: The date of the meeting should read Jan. 20 rather than 19.
Sorry for the error.

sultan62

I attended the meeting tonight. I saw Northerner there as well, though I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

My opinion is that it was mostly a positive meeting. From my perspective, it appears that non-firearm related measures are to be completely eliminated, and there will be more discussion in the future regarding specifics related to how the ban will take effect, possible recourse if you have non-compliant neighbors, a possibility of a blanket noise ordinance, etc.

Additionally, there was discussion of a county shooting range. It sounded to me like one would be required to have a CHP or PPP to participate, which I have a problem with. The good news related to the range is that, if I understand correctly, the NRA has pledged $50,000 towards it, and some land has been pledged as well. A committee member said he had spoken to some private entities and was confident that he could get "three times that much." It it appeared to me that this might have been used as an excuse to allow the ordinance with the provision that the range would be created, but fortunately, this was not the case.

There was a brief time in the end for questions from non-committee members, but very little was accomplished during that time. However, there will be a meeting in the future for that specific purpose.

Anyone else who was there, please feel free to add in anything I missed or a different perspective you might have had.

Northerner

I attended the meeting tonight. I saw Northerner there as well, though I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

Yep, I was able to make it tonight. Sorry Sultan, I was having a wicked bout of heartburn and needed to bail around 7 and I figured the comment period would not really go anywhere.

The meeting took place in the bowels of the Court House with Sherriff Bizzel and 2-3 LEOs hanging around the back of the room. I'd say the public in attendance filled 90% of the chairs, with some standing (~25 people, all ages). I would also say that 95% of the entire crowd and board are pro-gun and 2a rights.

The driving force behind this ordinance was related to a handful of complaints more for noise in Johnston County with one story of an errant projectile. Also, a Sherriff recently told a complaining homeowner that there was nothing he could do about people shooting in the nearby woods.

I was very happy with the input from the various Johnston County residents (FLL owners, hunters, school teacher, regular Joe, NRA, and GRNC reps). They really did their homework focusing on real issues at hand; noise and projectiles. They focused on fire arm safety and responsible ownership. The facts, accountings, and comparisons they offered from the other NC Counties helped plant a seed of reality and expectation with the Board (IMHO).

I also liked the idea of a county firing range. We'll see how that shakes out. Hopefully it's outside with some practical firing applications.

Thanks GRNC for keeping us abreast of this action. The GRNC rep was very professional and spoke with confidence.

Last edited:

sultan62

I agree, I was impressed with the GRNC rep. He seemed to be the best prepared of everyone there. I believe he will stay on top of the issue and keep everybody on their toes.

NCjones

It sounded to me like one would be required to have a CHP or PPP to participate,

So a person would have to go get a PPP to shoot a gun he already owns at their range? Hope it's not a for-profit venture!

Also, a Sherriff recently told a complaining homeowner that there was nothing he could do about people shooting in the nearby woods.
Isn't there ALREADY a law about shooting within a certain number of feet of a dwelling?

------> www.encfiringrange.com

They don't treat you like a baby there. They actually treat you like you have a brain.

Last edited:

Northerner

So a person would have to go get a PPP to shoot a gun he already owns at their range?.

This was just a suggestion for ensuring those that are shooting at this proposed shooting range (yet to be discussed formally), are responsible, safe, and vetted by County LE. I am sure it won't stick.

Isn't there ALREADY a law about shooting within a certain number of feet of a dwelling?

Apparently, in Johnston County there isn't, other than "Reckless endangerment" which is a catch all they could use.

I forgot to add in my last post, that when all is said and done, IMHO - there will be an ordinance in Johnston County. What form, how detailed, and to what extent I have no idea.

rosu1us

Good Neighbors Firearms Ordinance Work Group

Went to the JoCo Meeting. recieved this letter today

Good Neighbors Firearms Ordinance Work Group
Meeting Summary
January 20, 2011

Members Present: Mr. Allen Mims, Chairman; Mr. Jeff Carver, Vice-Chairman; Mr. Buck Pipkin; Mr. Rick Hester; Mr. Berry Gray; Mr. Jeff Lawrence; Mr. Jake McAllister; Mr. Stephen Reeves; Mr. John Reid; and Mr. Mike Stancil.

The Good Neighbors Firearms Ordinance Workgroup met at 6:00 pm on January 20, 2011 in the Emergency Operations Center located in the Johnston County Courthouse Law Enforcement Building.

Chairman Allen Mims opened the meeting by providing a history of the proposed firearms ordinance and he explained that the draft ordinance has not been heard by the Board of County Commissioners. He stated that the Board of Commissioners have received several complaints from residents who have experienced problems with careless neighbors shooting within major subdivisions and dense areas. He also clarified that the purpose of the Workgroup is to discuss the ordinance to see if changes can be made to address all concerned parties.

Each of the citizen representatives of the workgroup expressed their concerns with the proposed Ordinance and provided suggestions. These concerns and suggestions included the following:

• Concern with creating an ordinance to prohibit shooting because of a few non-responsible citizens.
• This issue can be addressed in the noise ordinance without prohibiting shooting outright.
• Suggested regulating shooting using hours and not under influence of drugs or alcohol.
• Concern with the definition which includes bb guns and bow and arrows. Suggested to use ATF definition instead.
• Concern with how the ordinance would affect hunting.
• Suggested the ordinance not include a distance.
• The ordinance should emphasize that the projectile should not leave the property or impact the property of another and that carelessness should be addressed instead of setting a distance.
• Concern with the difficulty of enforcing a 600’ distance.
• General Statute already addresses safety issues; therefore, why create another law.

There was discussion on what other jurisdictions do, which range from regulating the bullet leaving the property, to setting a distance.

There was also discussion on the limitations that the Sheriff’s Office has with current enforcement and concerns with enforcement of the proposed ordinance.

There was brief discussion on the need for a County shooting range, but it was decided that the subject would need more discussion at a later time.

The audience members were then allowed to ask questions and make comments.

The County staff will review the ordinance again with consideration given to the comments of the Workgroup and will reconvene at a future date, to be announced.

The Workgroup meeting ended at 7:30 pm.

Note: This is a brief summary and is not a verbatim description of the workgroup session.

sultan62

Welcome rosu1us! Thanks for posting the minutes from the meeting.

How did you happen to find our site here?

sultan62

His name was turned so I couldn't see it at the meeting. I'd like to know as well. IIRC, he was from the Four Oaks area and is a gunsmith.

rosu1us

Welcome rosu1us! Thanks for posting the minutes from the meeting.

How did you happen to find our site here?

I found it by searching google about the JoCo firearm laws. I have live in JoCo for more then 20 years now and have seen a lot of changes. I hunt on a few friends farm land and am afraid this new law would put a stop to it. I also shoot my Bow for practice in my yard year round along with my other firearms. I'm also concerned about losing more of my rights
Thank you
Rosi1us.

cricketdad

I found it by searching google about the JoCo firearm laws. I have live in JoCo for more then 20 years now and have seen a lot of changes. I hunt on a few friends farm land and am afraid this new law would put a stop to it. I also shoot my Bow for practice in my yard year round along with my other firearms. I'm also concerned about losing more of my rights
Thank you
Rosi1us.

Go to www.grnc.org
Join up and get involved in protecting your rights
Be at the next meeting and protest

rosu1us

Up date. For more info

For your information, Johnston County has established a website regarding the Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Workgroup where those interested can view upcoming meeting notices, past meeting summaries, as well as contact information.*
Following is the link:
http://www.johnstonnc.com/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=403&content_id=4198
Sincerely,
Paula G. Woodard
Clerk to the Board
Johnston County ~ 207 E. Johnston Street ~ PO Box 1049
Smithfield, North Carolina 27577 ~ Ph: (919) 989-5100
www.JohnstonNC.com

sultan62

Just got this email:

FYI

NOTICE OF MEETING

Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group

The Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group will be meeting on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. for the purpose of discussing a proposed Johnston County firearms ordinance. The meeting will be held in the Emergency Operations Center of the Johnston County Courthouse Law Enforcement Building located at 120 South Third Street, Smithfield, North Carolina. Anyone attending this meeting should use the Courthouse Law Enforcement Building entrance located on Third Street.

To obtain more information as well as the most recent draft of the proposed ordinance, visit the following website:

http://www.johnstonnc.com/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=403&content_id=4198

Please note that a final draft of the proposed firearms ordinance will be considered by the Johnston County Board of Commissioners during a public hearing to be scheduled and advertised at a later date.

Rick J. Hester

Johnston County Manager

(919) 989-5100

sultan62

Additionally, original proposed ordinance and revision following the 1/20 meeting:

http://www.johnstonnc.com/files/board/Rev1.pdf
Original Ordinance Proposal said:
DRAFT
County Code of Ordinances
Chapter 16 Offenses and Miscellaneous Provisions
16-3. Discharge of Firearms
1) The provisions of this ordinance shall apply to all properties located outside of any
municipal limits.
2) For purposes of this subchapter, FIREARM is defined as any gun, rifle, pistol or other
weapons capable of discharging projectiles such as shot, bullets, pellets or similar
projectile.
3) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm on or from the traveled
portion of any public street or highway.
4) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm within 600 feet of any
building or area which is or is reasonably likely to be occupied, including, but not
limited to, any school, church, playground or park except as provided in subsection #5.
5) It shall be unlawful for any person other than the owner or lessee of a dwelling or a
member of the immediate family actually residing in the dwelling to discharge any
firearm within 600 feet thereof without the written or verbal permission of the owner or
lessee of the dwelling provided it is greater than 600’ from an adjacent occupied
dwelling.
i) The written permission shall be dated and shall be valid for no longer than one year
after its issuance.
6) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm in such a way as will, or is
likely to, result in the projectile thereof leaving the property upon which the firearm is
lawfully discharged.
7) Miscellaneous exceptions. None of the provisions of this subchapter shall apply to:
i) law enforcement officers or members of the armed forces acting in the line of duty;
ii) to the shooting or killing of any dangerous or destructive animal or reptile when
necessary to protect life or property;
iii) to the taking of birds or animals pursuant to G.S. Chapter 113, Subchapter IV, as it is
from time to time amended, or pursuant to lawfully issued state or federal hunting or
wildlife removal permits;
iv) to the use of firearms for defense of person or property;
v) or nonprofit special events such as turkey shoots with a valid local permit.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/files/board/Rev2.pdf
Proposed Ordinance following 1/20 meeting said:
An Ordinance to Regulate the Discharge of Firearms
Johnston County Code of Ordinance - Chapter 16
DRAFT – REVISION 2
Johnston County Code of Ordinances
Chapter 16 Offenses and Miscellaneous Provisions
Section 16-3. Discharge of Firearms
1) The provisions of this ordinance shall apply to all properties located outside of any municipal limits.
2) For purposes of this subchapter, FIREARM is defined as a handgun, shotgun, or rifle which expels a projectile by action of an explosion.
3) It shall be unlawful for any person to utilize a firearm in the county carelessly and heedlessly, so as to endanger any person or property, or discharge a firearm that results in a projectile crossing the property of another person without their permission, or utilize a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.
4) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm on or from the traveled portion of any public street or highway.
5) The discharge of firearms from one hour after sunset to sunrise is prohibited by Article II, Section 12-32(6) of the Johnston County Code of Ordinances with the following exceptions.
6) Miscellaneous exceptions.
i) law enforcement officers or members of the armed forces acting in the line of duty;
ii) to the shooting or killing of any dangerous or destructive animal or reptile when necessary to protect life or property;
iii) to the taking of birds or animals pursuant to G.S. Chapter 113, Subchapter IV, as it is from time to time amended, or pursuant to lawfully issued state or federal hunting or wildlife removal permits;
7) Penalties. A violation of this article by any person is a misdemeanor and shall subject the offender to a fine of $100.00 and/or imprisonment for up to 30 days. A second or subsequent violation by the same person within one year shall subject such person to a fine of up to $300.00 but not less than $100.00 and/or imprisonment for up to 30 days.

Revisions to Section 12-32 – Noise Ordinance

(In correlation with an ordinance to regulate the discharge of firearms)
Sec. 12-32. Loud and disturbing noise.
(a) Subject to the provisions of this article, the creation of any unreasonable loud and disturbing noise in the county is prohibited and unlawful. Noise of such character, intensity and duration as to be detrimental to the health, safety or welfare of any individual is prohibited.
(b) The following acts, among others, are declared to be loud and disturbing noises in violation of this article, but such enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive:
(1) The use of any loud, boisterous or raucous language or shouting so as to annoy or disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of persons in the vicinity.
(2) The sounding of any horn or signal device on any automobile, motorcycle, bus or other vehicle, except as a danger signal or as required by law, so as to create any unreasonable loud or harsh sound; or the sounding of such device for an unreasonable period of time.
(3) The playing of any radio, television set, record player, musical instrument or sound-producing or sound-amplifying device in such manner or with such volume, particularly, but not limited to, the hours between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., as to annoy or disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of persons of normal sensibilities in any dwelling, motel, hotel or other type of residence.
(4) The keeping of any animal, except livestock and poultry, which, by causing frequent or long continued noise on a regular basis, shall disturb the comfort and repose of any person of normal sensibility in the vicinity. If the violation continues or complaints are received from other households, the owner shall be granted ten working days to rectify the situation.
(5) The use of any automobile, motorcycle or other vehicle so out of repair, so loaded or in such manner as to create loud grating, grinding, rattling or other noise.
(6) The discharge of firearms as defined in Chapter 16 Section 3 of the County Code of Ordinances from one hour after sunset to sunrise but shall not apply to the following exceptions:
ii) to the shooting or killing of any dangerous or destructive animal or reptile when necessary to protect life or property;
iii) to the taking of birds or animals pursuant to G.S. Chapter 113, Subchapter IV, as it is from time to time amended, or pursuant to lawfully issued state or federal hunting or wildlife removal permits;