• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nash County?

NCjones

I was considering moving to Nash County.....until I visited the Sheriffs website. Looks like to get a PPP I have to have lived in Hash County for a frickin year! What a joke. In Wake County it is 30 days. I'm sure the crooks don't have to wait a year.

I guess I could just not change the address on my DL and maintain a residence in my current county for a year until I meet the residency requirements.

There should be statewide uniformity of the PPP requirements! It's not like I'm moving to Nash County from some other state. It's 30 miles for Gods sake!

Last edited:

aosailor

just go pickup a few PPPs now before you move. hell I have about 3 or 4 sitting my desk right now. have had these for about 6 months

buzzsaw

I realize this is probably going to create alarm with the membership but have you thought of taking the concealed carry course before you move? You need not carry concealed but the law governing concealed carry allows the substitution of the concealed carry permit for the PPP with no restrictions on the number of times you use it. Of course you would have to notify re: the change of address but the Sheriff would no longer be involved in your handgun purchases. Just thinking out loud.

NCjones

Call the State AG's Office and file a complaint.
Sent Cooper a fax yesterday. I'm expecting the usual sterile form letter reply thanking me for my input. LOL

just go pickup a few PPPs now before you move. hell I have about 3 or 4 sitting my desk right now. have had these for about 6 months
Already got five or six "spares" in the filing cabinet. The thing would be if I went to buy a handgun using one of the PPP's the address on the PPP and the new DL address wouldn't match, plus I'd have to lie on the 4475 and put my old address.

You need not carry concealed but the law governing concealed carry allows the substitution of the concealed carry permit for the PPP with no restrictions on the number of times you use it. Of course you would have to notify re: the change of address but the Sheriff would no longer be involved in your handgun purchases. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks. North Carolina disqualifies me because I have a misdemeanor assault charge 20 years ago. I got nonresident CHP from FLA, NH, & VA which all three allow me to carry in NC, but no good for the purchase. No problem for me if the State of NC wants me to spend my money elsewhere.

The whole lack of statewide conformity is stupid. For instance in some counties there is no residency length requirement. Someone who lives in Nash County could find a room mate in another county, go to DMV and change his address on his DL and be a resident, go to the sheriff dept. in his new county of residence, get a PPP, go buy his gun, then go back to DMV and change the address on his DL, move back to Nash County and be a resident of Nash County again. Total time as a Johnston County resident: 2 weeks, a week to get the new DL in the mail and a few days to get the PPP issued. Total cost: $20 to change the address on the DL twice, plus a months rent to a room mate. It is just unreasonable that in one county I have to wait a year while in another county it is 6 months, another it is 30 days, and another there is no requirement other than "being a resident".

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot see how making someone wait 12 months to buy a handgun just because they moved one county over in any way prevents crime. Thanks anyway for letting me vent.

Last edited: