• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rep. George Lavender to introduce Open Carry Bill

MR Redenck

Imay have been unclear. I completely agree with the statement above I just hate the all or nothing approach to get there. It seems to fail more often than not.

Name one Open Carry bill that you have seen fail in Texas?
The only thing I have seen is failed attempts, unorganized constituents, and elitist opposition.

jecsd1

Just so I'm clear (and I'm being genuinely serious and not antagonistic), if this "bill" that we keep hearing rumors about ever does surface, and it is a licensed OC bill, most people here will not support it?!?!

IF that's the case, that seems a bit counter productive. Whether we start for constitutional carry and are forced to downgrade to licensed to get it passed, or start with licensure and then push for constitutional later; don't you all think we should support ANY ANY ANY ANY bill that would return our rights to us?? Even if it's a little at a time??

I seem to remember OC being pushed really hard last session and it scared some "on the fence" politicians away. We have a commanding majority in the legislature this session and I would hate bickering to squander it.

Cowboy_Rick

If at first it is "Licensed Open Carry" then so be it, the Licensing can be changed later. First, get in, then change the room from inside! Constitutional Carry would be preferred but we also need to be realistic. Some in Texas are already angered over the UTAH LICENSE which Texans can receive, but the money is going to UTAH and Texas has a shortfall in revenue at this time. So if the "OPEN CARRY" comes with LICENSE REQUIREMENTS, well I understand and I will support it, eventhough, I don't completely like the Idea.

Last edited:

jecsd1

If at first it is "Licensed Open Carry" then so be it, the Licensing can be changed later. First, get in, then change the room from inside! Constitutional Carry would be preferred but we also need to be realistic. Some in Texas are already angered over the UTAH LICENSE which Texans can receive, but the money is going to UTAH and Texas has a shortfall in revenue at this time. So if the "OPEN CARRY" comes with LICENSE REQUIREMENTS, well I understand and I will support it, eventhough, I don't completely like the Idea.

Thats the way I feel exactly. I just can't wrap my head around the all or nothing approach some feel is necessary. Our rights weren't taken away with just one bill and I doubt they will be regained with one bill. Either way, we need to support any attempt at OC, no matter the flavor it's served in

pooley

Responses I've received;

--------------------------------------

From Rep. Leo Berman, District 6;

Mr. Weir:

Rep. Berman asked me to let you know he would support a bill that would legalize the open carrying of handguns in plain sight, if such a bill were to be introduced.

Best regards,
Dianne Caron
Office of Rep. Leo Berman

------------------------

From Rep. David Simpson, District 1

Dear Mr. Weir -

Thank you for your email. While I do support the open carry of guns, this is not the session for me to try to carry the legislation. I would not want to distract attention from HB 86, the bill to allow CHL holders to carry on a college campus. However, should such a bill be introduced, it would have my support.

For Texas and Liberty,

David Simpson

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I want complete constitutional carry, that's the bottom line. However to use a football analogy, sometime we have to move the ball 10 yds at a time. Next down, (session if need be) we push another running play 10 more yards. We can't just hail mary 80yards every play or we'll be sacked or intercepted. The fascists didn't just come out and go from no restrictions to complete bans. They incrimentally moved towards that goal. We clearly posses the ball here. Not just in the legislature, but in public opinion.

nonameisgood

Actually, Texas lost OC in one move. But, I think the public needs to have the "safety" of licensure until OC is normal. It also helps with certain aspects (like GFSZ) right?

It does open carriers up to LE asking about ones license, but that really isn't a problem. And simply removing the requirement to conceal should be palatable to most lawmakers.

jsimmons

Actually, Texas lost OC in one move. But, I think the public needs to have the "safety" of licensure until OC is normal. It also helps with certain aspects (like GFSZ) right?

It does open carriers up to LE asking about ones license, but that really isn't a problem. And simply removing the requirement to conceal should be palatable to most lawmakers.

I don't think the state should be able to charge us for a license so that we can exercise a constitutional right. If THEY want to do a background check before issuing a license, THEY should pay for it. Not me. If they want to incur the costs of producing a physical license, THEY should incur the cost. I shouldn't have to pay it. Of course, I don't think we should need a license to carry AT ALL.

The whole thing is bogus, and I will accept nothing short of Constitutional carry.

I haven't seen anything from Lavender yet. We're getting mighty close to the cutoff point for submitting new Bills...

Last edited: