• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT? Could we be violating state law accidently?

onlurker

I did find a BATF letter about having spare M16 parts for a legally owned M16 while owning an AR-15 could be considered having an illegal machine gun - http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter90.txt Same parts ownership rules would apply to SBR parts.

The rules for SBRs seem to apply only to the short barreled uppers and not the other parts that would classify something as a rifle per the ATF. However, I did find this portion interesting:

"An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches)
barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 machinegun along with
one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their
possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a
violation of the NFA."

I wonder if the same applies to a semiautomatic AR15, since it would appear that the ATF is saying that owning a short barreled upper (like if you're building a pistol) means you're then in possession of an SBR if you happen to own other minimum length AR15 rifles.

amlevin

The rules for SBRs seem to apply only to the short barreled uppers and not the other parts that would classify something as a rifle per the ATF. However, I did find this portion interesting:

"An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches)
barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 machinegun along with
one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their
possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a
violation of the NFA."

I wonder if the same applies to a semiautomatic AR15, since it would appear that the ATF is saying that owning a short barreled upper (like if you're building a pistol) means you're then in possession of an SBR if you happen to own other minimum length AR15 rifles.

Why you wouldn't be suggesting that someone might own a "pistol" and a "rifle" and then swap them around as they wanted, would you? Why that would just downright be breaking the rules. Nobody would do that, would they?

If one had a complete SBR upper, ready to be mated to a lower, that would be far different than just possessing the barrel. It takes a little more than just "two pins" to change a barrel.

Last edited:

onlurker

Why you wouldn't be suggesting that someone might own a "pistol" and a "rifle" and then swap them around as they wanted, would you? Why that would just downright be breaking the rules. Nobody would do that, would they?

Of course not, I'm simply trying to understand this particular law so as to not break it, just like everyone else. The wording in the law just seems a little too ambiguous to me especially when you consider the ATF's interpretation since they're suppose to be the deciding party on such matters.