• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An Open letter regarding Senator Deeds (SB903)

Repeater

This was written by Brian Withnell:

Senator Deeds:

What crazy logic do you use to say that which hurts nobody, can be done without even thinking about it, and would occur without any victim, is a VIOLENT crime? Of course I’m talking about changing what ought to be lowered to not a crime at all (carrying a firearm on school property without any other incriminating action) into a violent felony. I truly would like to know the logic (not some emotional appeal) that would cause you to go to such extremes. Honest citizens ought to be able to carry firearms nearly anywhere without mala prohibita restrictions. Having a firearm (just having one) is not, nor can it be mala in se; even our beloved Virginia has put into place a right to keep and bear arms. Our constitution knows that those that are willing to give up liberty for security deserve neither, and will lose both. Are you so devoid of knowledge of history that you do not?

Security can only be obtained by virtue and liberty.

Brian Withnell

Very well written, followed by excellent comments.

Why did Deeds do this? Anyone know?

TFred

This was written by Brian Withnell:

Senator Deeds:

What crazy logic do you use to say that which hurts nobody, can be done without even thinking about it, and would occur without any victim, is a VIOLENT crime? Of course I’m talking about changing what ought to be lowered to not a crime at all (carrying a firearm on school property without any other incriminating action) into a violent felony. I truly would like to know the logic (not some emotional appeal) that would cause you to go to such extremes. Honest citizens ought to be able to carry firearms nearly anywhere without mala prohibita restrictions. Having a firearm (just having one) is not, nor can it be mala in se; even our beloved Virginia has put into place a right to keep and bear arms. Our constitution knows that those that are willing to give up liberty for security deserve neither, and will lose both. Are you so devoid of knowledge of history that you do not?

Security can only be obtained by virtue and liberty.

Brian Withnell

Very well written, followed by excellent comments.

Why did Deeds do this? Anyone know?
Have you read the actual changes this bill makes? Take a moment and do so. Scroll down to the two very small highlighted sections.

It is my guess (and that is all it is) that this bill was intended to be a no-issue, no-hassle, no-brainer bill to fix what the original authors of the law at hand probably consider to be a typographical error.

Of course, the error has brought to the front the heinous nature of making perfectly reasonable activity illegal, and much more so heinous, "violently" so.

What this bill has done, certainly to the chagrin of the driving forces behind Senator Deeds, is to bring to public knowledge the horrible intent this law had in the first place.

TFred