• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Few Good Places - Hampton Roads OC friendly

And2TheRepublic

I was hoping that you fine gents/ladies had some good recommendations for dinner at places that are OC friendly.

Im fairly new to this area. Im looking for the hole in the wall places, local owners, places that aren't big food chains.

maybe we can make a good thread of it. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

wylde007

Keep your eye open for Open Carry dinners in the Hampton Roads area. There is generally one on each side of the tunnel about once a month.

Do a forum search for "open carry dinner" and you should come up with quite a few hits.

And2TheRepublic

I've Searched. Didn't find a lot of what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm searching wrong. I've found a few places. I'm looking for the little known places, hole in the wall, famous int to the locals.

I will search again and change my search and filters and see what I find. I'm also on an iPhone so it's a bit tedious.

FretlessMayhem

For pizza

I recommend Chicho's. Great food, and I've never had a problem carrying there. There is one on Kempsville Road in Greenbrier, and another on 29th and Pacific if you ever find yourself at the Virginia Beach oceanfront.

USNA69

I was hoping that you fine gents/ladies had some good recommendations for dinner at places that are OC friendly.

Im fairly new to this area. Im looking for the hole in the wall places, local owners, places that aren't big food chains.

maybe we can make a good thread of it. thanks in advance.

Since you say you are in Hampton, this would be a good place to start. OC dinners are held there:

County Grill and Smokehouse in Yorktown, just over NN line on Rte 17:
http://www.countygrill.net/

The Mercury Blvd branch may be closer, but I can't recall any OC dinners there.

ocholsteroc

I live in Chesapeake so this is my locations I eat at,

Greenbrier area
carabas
lone star steak house
golden corral

In edinburgh commons yes they even have a website now ~http://www.edinburghcommons.net/

theres a mexican restaurant in this shopping center I forget name...

Great Bridge

chillies

Oh hmm military circle lone star steak house.

@ mayhem I can not believe I have not run into you yet.

Last edited:

USNA69

seconded
Vinny's in Yorktown is also very good and OC friendly

I have OCed without incident at Joe & Mimma's in Grafton:
http://www.joeandmimmas.com/

logoflag1.jpg

5742 George Washington Memorial Highway
Grafton Shopping Center
Grafton, Virginia
(757) 898-6612

And2TheRepublic

I'm going to have to check these places out.

Last night i ate at Lone Star by Bass Pro and i must say:

Texas Roadhouse > Lone Star in the food department. It's weird to me seeing restaurants that have a Texas theme, being from Texas. Or maybe i'm the one thats weird, who knows?

what this State needs is some serious Texas BBQ.

And2TheRepublic

Haha there are many folks that have something resembling a religious devotion to Carolina BBQ. Not exactly a huge fan myself.

There is definitely a difference in style. I have yet to find a BBQ place here that fits my taste buds. I guess thats why i started making my own BBQ Sauce long ago.

nuc65

Activist Member
I'm going to have to check these places out.

Last night i ate at Lone Star by Bass Pro and i must say:

Texas Roadhouse > Lone Star in the food department. It's weird to me seeing restaurants that have a Texas theme, being from Texas. Or maybe i'm the one thats weird, who knows?

what this State needs is some serious Texas BBQ.

+1

Poke Joes in Lynchburg is decent

45acpForMe

Im looking for the hole in the wall places, local owners, places that aren't big food chains.

Others have mentioned Vinny's (two locations NN & York County), County Grill which are both good.

I like Japan Samurai across from Patrick Henry Mall (Jefferson Avenue) and have always been welcomed there OC-ing.

I have heard someone recently OC-ing to Harpoon Larry's for good seafood but when I went there in the past I was also looking forward to a couple beers so didn't OC/CC.

I just OC-ed to Hampton Town Center a while back for BD Mongolian BBQ which is good. Also Chipotle, Five Guys and that McQ's BBQ.

The Sezchuan Inn across Coliseum Drive is a pretty good chinese buffet. I can't remember the last time I OC-ed there though.

There are lots of OC friendly places around so we typically just list the ones we know are unfriendly (shorter list).