• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MD HB-9 Reciprocity for Virginia Permit Holders

Dreamer

How about my right to protect myself and my family? Why isn't that a good enough reason? :cuss:

NO, NO, NO!!! (according to the MSP)

The only "good and substantial reasons" are as follows:

1) you have been violently attacked before, have official police report paper trail to prove it, and you survived the attack, and even THEN, it generally depends on if you are white, rich, or well-connected enough for them to like you, or

2) you carry lots of money for your business, or

3) you carry controlled drugs for your business, or

4) you carry precious metals or valuable jewelry for your business, or

5) you are an attorney, and even THEN, it generally depends on if you are white, rich, or well-connected enough for them to like you. (Obviously Del. Smigiel doesn't meet that requirement anymore, because his renewal last year was denied--apparently he stepped on the wrong toes as a legislator...)

In MD, the lives of innocent children, wives, husbands, family members and individual citizens are NOT considered precious or valuable enough to be protected by law-abiding citizens.

But drugs, money, and gold--when carried by wealthy or well-connected individuals--are...

I think we know what their criteria are REALLY being steered by.

The "color of law" in MD is green and gold.

I don't mean nothin' by that... I'm just sayin'...

Last edited:

vt357

So if once again this bill goes nowhere, would it be possible to get the VA state police to come up and testify? They routinely speak on bills here, but they could talk about Virginia's permitting process and how law abiding the permit holders are. The chances of them actually traveling to Maryland are probably slim to none, but it's worth a shot.

All American Nightmare

So if once again this bill goes nowhere, would it be possible to get the VA state police to come up and testify? They routinely speak on bills here, but they could talk about Virginia's permitting process and how law abiding the permit holders are. The chances of them actually traveling to Maryland are probably slim to none, but it's worth a shot.
What about the York County Sherrif?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Between here and VCDL we probably have a heap of LEOs that could do the job if they were interested. Heck if you had LEO testimony and testimony of various state attorneys speaking to the law abiding nature of the general public that are gun toters it might open some eyes and make Maryland LEO look like the thugs they are.

Last edited:

Maryland Shall Issue

Sounds good folks.

If you want to make preliminary contacts to see if they are at all interested in coming up, feel free to put them in contact with us. info@marylandshallissue.org

If this goes over to the Senate side, it would be great to have their testimony and we'll be happy to coordinate the details with them.

If they wish to submit a written brief to the House, I'll be happy to copy it and hand deliver it to the committee.

All American Nightmare

Sounds good folks.

If you want to make preliminary contacts to see if they are at all interested in coming up, feel free to put them in contact with us. info@marylandshallissue.org

If this goes over to the Senate side, it would be great to have their testimony and we'll be happy to coordinate the details with them.

If they wish to submit a written brief to the House, I'll be happy to copy it and hand deliver it to the committee.
Might be worth calling VCDL 804-639-0600 PVC would be able to put you in touch with a ton of contacts.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I can't think of the WVCDL representative we have here onsite, but I'll see what I can find and see if he can provide some assistance from our neighbors to the northwest.

If you have contacts with the PAFOA (Pennsylvania Firearms Assoc.) it may be worth trying to get some speakers from there as well.

Dreamer

Yeah, VASP might come up, but I imagine they won't be too thrilled when the MSP and GA Security insist they disarm before entering the GA building, which you KNOW they would...

I mean, if the MSP don't trust the VASPs judgement on issuing permits, do you REALLY think they would trust them to carry in the MD GA building?

That would be a discussion I'd pay money to see...

SeanAce1

From MDs perspective

So, I am from Maryland. I have a Utah CCW non resident permit that allows me to carry in about 30 states. In MD as others have pointed out, unless you were the target of a serial killer on the front page of a newspaper, or someone who carries money or drugs regularly, you cannot get a permit here. I see no where in HB-9 that restricts the bill to resident permit holders. PA and VA both offer non resident permits that I can get via mail. This bill would seem to circumvent the MD issues, and send money to PA and VA for permit fees versus keeping it in the state of MD.. However it will make our street safer for the law abiding people, and more threatening to gun law offenders.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
So, I am from Maryland. I have a Utah CCW non resident permit that allows me to carry in about 30 states. In MD as others have pointed out, unless you were the target of a serial killer on the front page of a newspaper, or someone who carries money or drugs regularly, you cannot get a permit here. I see no where in HB-9 that restricts the bill to resident permit holders. PA and VA both offer non resident permits that I can get via mail. This bill would seem to circumvent the MD issues, and send money to PA and VA for permit fees versus keeping it in the state of MD.. However it will make our street safer for the law abiding people, and more threatening to gun law offenders.

Even then.

I took an unarmed self-defense class a few years ago. One of my fellow students was an individual who works for Beretta in Maryland, and regularly carries large numbers of firearms in his car. He said it took him six tries to get a Maryland permit.

TFred

Even then.

I took an unarmed self-defense class a few years ago. One of my fellow students was an individual who works for Beretta in Maryland, and regularly carries large numbers of firearms in his car. He said it took him six tries to get a Maryland permit.
Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall watching the cops facial expression during that traffic stop!

"Sir do you have any weapons in the car?"

"Why yes I do, as a matter of fact, I have a box of 200 Beretta 96's in the trunk..."

:)

TFred

p.publius

Love to see reciprocity

I would love to see reciprocity between VA and MD. That being said, I would NEVER avail myself of the "privilege" to carry there.

1st, In MD there is a duty to retreat. Therefore most of the time a "positive" defense (ie I did it but I was justified in doing so in the denense of my (or other's) life) would most likely result in conviction.

2nd, there is not castle doctrine in place in MD so in a defensive shooting involving a hijacking of a vehicle again the positive defense most likely would result in a conviction.

Lastly, open carry is illegal in MD. MD is the most gun-unfriendly state of all the midatlantic states (except the District of Columbia but as we all know it is not a state.) So, if your sidearm printed, you could be stripped of your gun, fined and/or imprisoned.

I fear that MD would become a money pit like NJ for a second amendment proponent. Fix the above issues, along with ammo and large capacity magazine issues et al and maybe I would consider carrying in MD. I will support the bill but I will NEVER carry in MD. That being said, my next flight north to NH will be from WV not BWI in MD.:cuss: