• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question

stuckinchico

i just moved to GA. I was told by a local resident that in GA it is legal to have a firearm in you vehicle lets like in holster in door panel with out a carry permit. Is this accurate??? keep in mind i didnt not say holstered on me

aadvark

stuckinchico:

§ 16-11-126. Possession and Carrying a Concealed Weapon; Penalty for Violating Licensing Requirement.

§ 16-11-126(d) Any Person who is not Prohibited by Law from Possessing a Handgun or Long Gun who is Eligible for a Weapons Carry License may Transport a Handgun or Long Gun in any Private Passenger Motor Vehicle; provided, however, that Private Property Owners or Persons in Legal Control of Property through a Lease, Rental Agreement, Licensing Agreement, Contract, or any other Agreement to Control Access to such Property shall have The Right to Forbid Possession of a Weapon or Long Gun on Their Property, except as provided in Code Section § 16-11-135.

Georgia Code § 16-11-129(b) Enumerates The Georgia Weapons Carry Licensing Requirements.

Georgia Code § 16-11-135 is The Firearms in Locked Private Passenger Motor Vehicles Law, which, Authorizes any Person to have a Firearm in a Locked Private Passenger Motor Vehicle while at Work, regardless of where you work, except for certain Secure Facilities.

aadvark

*** You could also put an Unloaded Handgun in a Case, if you do not have a Georgia Weapons Carry License, in Accordance with Georgia Code § 16-11-126(c). Under Georgia Law, Unloaded, as for Firearms, means that there is NO Live Round of Ammuniton in The Barrel or Chamber. Merely Inserting a Loaded Clip or Magazine in The Clip or Magazine Well, but NOT Barreling or Chambering such Ammuniton, DOES NOT Constitute Loaded..., BUT..., then again, this Definition ONLY Exsists under Georgia Code § 16-11-132(a). Georgia Code § 16-11-125.1 gives Definitions for The Entire Part, however; Georgia Code § 16-11-132 ONLY Applies to that Specific Code SEction itself, which; is more likely than not Inaaplicable to you as I would Assume, in Good Faith, that you are not a Person who is less than 18 Years in Age. ***

*** Furthermore, under Georgia Code § 16-11-125.1(1), Handgun has a VERY SPECIFIC Definition, and Apparently, .17 Caliber Handguns DO NOT Apply, since they Shoot a Shot of Less than .46 Centimeters in Diameter, but there has been No Court Case to Establish Case Law on this Matter, as Georgia Code § 16-11-125.1 was Enacted in 2010. ***

*** LongGuns in Private Passenger Motor Vehicles for Purposes other than Hunting is Perfectly Legal in Georgia, however; Hunting Regulations can get Tricky if you Intend The LongGuns for Hunting Purposes. ***

*** Georgia is Unique among States in that Private Passenger Motor Vehicle Carry is Assumed Legal if you are a Person who is also Assumed Legal to Qualify for a Georgia Weapons Carry License, regardless if you have one or not. In MANY other States in this Country, you Actually have to have a Tangible Permit to Carry a Firearm in a Vehicle. ***

aadvark

Last edited:

aadvark

stuckinchico:

If you have any other Questions feel free to Ask!

aadvark