• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stupid question :-/

android17ak47

Its prob been discussed but I see so many open carry threads and have browsed through a few already and didnt see this answer so here it goes:

If this open carry law passes for florida state, does it only allow those with a concealed weapons permit to carry it in the open or will any law abiding citizen carry as well?

I ask because I moved here in florida just over a year ago and purchased a handgun for home defense about 5 months ago and have not yet applied for a concealed weapons permit but from what I was told I would have to wait a certain amount of months and pay w/e $$ for classes and the application for the permit and since I will probably not carry often I thought it might be easier if I didnt have to have a permit to carry if this law passes, if of course it applies to law abiding citizens as well as permit holders.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

SB 234 - Firearms GENERAL BILL

Under this version - SB 234 - Firearms GENERAL BILL by G. Evers (R)
Firearms: Provides that a person in compliance with the terms of a concealed carry license may carry openly notwithstanding specified provisions. Allows the Division of Licensing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to take fingerprints from concealed carry license applicants. Limits a prohibition on carrying a concealed weapon or firearm into an elementary or secondary school facility, career center, or college or university facility to include only a public elementary or secondary school facility or administration building, etc.
Effective Date: 07/01/2011

It wold appear that one is required to carry the license and identification whenever one is carrying concealed, and that failure to do so is a $25 Non-Criminal fine. There does not seem to be a requirement to carry license nor ID when not carrying concealed.
[edit] A PDF link to the bill

... kinda like in the UK, in that you are supposed to carry your driving license with you, but if you forget it you get what's called a "producer" where you have a 5-day period to show that you actually Have one. Seems a bit unlike here in the 'States, where if you don't have your license you're automatically assumed to be unlicensed until you're proven innocent.

Last edited:

SGB

The current bill would only apply to those who have a concealed carry licenses. The ultimate goal is constitutional carry, but as with most every destination it is accomplished in a series of steps.

android17ak47

i will apply for concealed weapon permit eventually anyways because I honestly would rather carry concealed for certain reasons, but that would depend on where Im at. I do understand of course the whole concept of "open carry", Ide just rather not make myself a oddball in public lol.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Ide just rather not make myself a oddball in public lol.

Your preferences and choices are, of course, yours to make.

However, consider the ramifications of placing Liberal Public Interests above your own.

How did it ever get so bad that being a tool using human with intelligence and integrity makes you an oddball?

Personally, I'd rather be an oddball than 'fit in' with the likes of those...

Alexandria

Your preferences and choices are, of course, yours to make.

However, consider the ramifications of placing Liberal Public Interests above your own.

How did it ever get so bad that being a tool using human with intelligence and integrity makes you an oddball?

Personally, I'd rather be an oddball than 'fit in' with the likes of those...

If they can get this bill in, you wouldn't be an oddball. There are many Floridians who would like to be able to open carry.

However, I agree I would rather be an oddball too. I have posted in another discussion but personally I would rather OC. I feel that OC deters crime rather than provoking it, but of course there will always be a few loonies out there who will try you anyway.

~*'Phoenix'*~

for now, the bill is only for CWL holders

It only permits open carry by those who can currently carry concealed; but it allows to carry more places as well: colleges/universities, storage in your vehicle anywhere you can legally park, prevents county/local ordinances from making further regulations.
The classes are usually $60, the lisence fee is $117. Yes the fees are obnoxious, but they fingerprint and background check, so it gives you good evidence if questioned by police that you're willing to take the extra steps to be a safe, armed citizen (watch out though, don't advocate lisencing here:rolleyes:... I don't advocate it, I'm just neutral to it).
If you get one, go to one of their physical offices, where they'll fingerprint you electronically on-site, and you'll get your paperwork processed immediately, and get your card within 2 weeks, instead of 4-5 months as when you mail it or do it online.

~*'Phoenix'*~

And you won't be an oddball. If it passes, I'll usually be carrying 'discretely openly.' (i.e. belt holster in or out-side, grips out, overshirt over but not buttoned around it)