Thread: rg industries lol

rg industries lol

well about 5-6 months ago I purchased a rg industries model 31 38cal revolver and encountered problems right off the bat. The cylinder under and over cycles in this pos like you wouldnt believe causing misfires, thankfully I stop trying to fire it the first time it happened but it continued to do this when I took it home and tried figuring out why it was doing this and found that first off, the bolt stop wont stop the cylinder when cycled fast like during a quick single action hammer pull, or during double action firing. Either the spring is worn or the bolt stop is worn, maybe both idk but thats one problem.

The other is that the hook part that cycles the cylinder wont always fully cycle it unless I do pull the hammer back fast. It sometimes cycles it just a hair too short of letting the bolt stop lock up into the curvature in the cylinder.

My question is should I even bother getting this fixed or have parts replaced, or should I junk it? I found after purchasing it that many people gave rg industries in general bad reviews and nothing but. One local gunsmith said they wouldnt touch a rg firearm no matter how much he was paid. I mean the thing fires fine if I take it easy on single action but I bought this for home defense and it was cheap and of a deceant caliber especially for its price. I just hope it doesnt turn out to be a bad $100+ investment, if it costs less than like $50 to fix it then Ill do it. I just dont have alot of $$ to buy a reliable semi atm, and im honestly not too fond of revolvers lol, this just seemed like a good buy at the time.

Sorry to hear you wasted money on an RG, junk it.

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Save it for one of those gun "buybacks"...

... like it was *their* gun they were buying back. What nonsense. However, you could turn this junk gun in for the $50 or $100 or whatever is offered to keep the gun "off the streets". Put it toward a reliable gun.

Was there a warranty on it?

Warranty repair has turned many a POS into a reliable firearm. Not familiar with RG but have you looked at this option?

There is a reason why the majority of people aren't familiar with RG pistols. That sow's ear will always be a sow's ear.

Yea, I have one of those too. I inherited it when my Dad passed away. Don't know how he came to get it but as soon as I researched it I imediately unloaded it and buried it in the back of the safe.

wow lol. thanks for the replies. I may just keep it for a wall hanger or something, might just have it fixed so it wont work, of course after I get a replacement.

I dont know of the rg brand, but JMO - the only thing your going to get in the $100-150 range that is probably OK for home defense is a Hi-Point. Ive shot a few, and they double as hammers and bricks when you run out of lead. They have a great warranty also...

Anything else worth considering is going to probably going to be around 2-3 times the price.

Centurion

The RG revolvers are not worth repairing

Quote Originally Posted by android17ak47 View Post
    wow lol. thanks for the replies. I may just keep it for a wall hanger or something, might just have it fixed so it wont work, of course after I get a replacement.

I had an RG 14, (a .22) just to test it and see what it could do. I bought it new and did quite a bit of testing with it. It was surprizingly accurate in my hands, fired very carefully, but I was on the University of Wisconsin varsity pistol team for four years.

It was reliable, but it was not really repairable. I would not recommend one to anyone, because they are a bad investment. Pay twice as much, and you can get something that will keep its value. Sometimes you can pick up a used Smith and Wesson for a couple of hundred dollars, especially if the finish is bad

A decade ago, I bought several dozen model 10 Smith & Wessons that were surplus London Police guns. They hadn't been shot much, but showed a bit of holster wear. As a dealer, I only paid about $100 each. They are long gone, but you still can find deals if you look hard.

Another possibility is to find a Taurus that has a problem. Taurus revolvers have a lifetime warranty, so you can send them back to Taurus and they will fix it for you for the cost of shipping (except for sights, grips, or finish, as I recall). The later Taurus revolvers can be pretty good guns.

I no longer have a Federal Firearms License.
    Last edited by ccwinstructor; 01-21-2011 at 09:12 PM.

I would say that if you brought from a private individual and no government agency was involved in the transaction, keep it handy in case some miscreatin breaks in and you discover after you've ventolated him that he was unarmed......But that would not be legal.....
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    I would say that if you brought from a private individual and no government agency was involved in the transaction, keep it handy in case some miscreatin breaks in and you discover after you've ventolated him that he was unarmed......But that would not be legal.....
    lol, well I bought it from a local pawn shop and im sure its in my name now because of the backround check, idk.

Here is my fix. Disassemble it, check all of the gears, springs and such. Then take a nice big sledge hammer and smash everything. After that, go buy a good used S&W.