• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

rg industries lol

android17ak47

well about 5-6 months ago I purchased a rg industries model 31 38cal revolver and encountered problems right off the bat. The cylinder under and over cycles in this pos like you wouldnt believe causing misfires, thankfully I stop trying to fire it the first time it happened but it continued to do this when I took it home and tried figuring out why it was doing this and found that first off, the bolt stop wont stop the cylinder when cycled fast like during a quick single action hammer pull, or during double action firing. Either the spring is worn or the bolt stop is worn, maybe both idk but thats one problem.

The other is that the hook part that cycles the cylinder wont always fully cycle it unless I do pull the hammer back fast. It sometimes cycles it just a hair too short of letting the bolt stop lock up into the curvature in the cylinder.

My question is should I even bother getting this fixed or have parts replaced, or should I junk it? I found after purchasing it that many people gave rg industries in general bad reviews and nothing but. One local gunsmith said they wouldnt touch a rg firearm no matter how much he was paid. I mean the thing fires fine if I take it easy on single action but I bought this for home defense and it was cheap and of a deceant caliber especially for its price. I just hope it doesnt turn out to be a bad $100+ investment, if it costs less than like $50 to fix it then Ill do it. I just dont have alot of $$ to buy a reliable semi atm, and im honestly not too fond of revolvers lol, this just seemed like a good buy at the time.

markand

Save it for one of those gun "buybacks"...

... like it was *their* gun they were buying back. What nonsense. However, you could turn this junk gun in for the $50 or $100 or whatever is offered to keep the gun "off the streets". Put it toward a reliable gun.

CrossFire

Yea, I have one of those too. I inherited it when my Dad passed away. Don't know how he came to get it but as soon as I researched it I imediately unloaded it and buried it in the back of the safe.

blade10

I dont know of the rg brand, but JMO - the only thing your going to get in the $100-150 range that is probably OK for home defense is a Hi-Point. Ive shot a few, and they double as hammers and bricks when you run out of lead. They have a great warranty also...

Anything else worth considering is going to probably going to be around 2-3 times the price.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
The RG revolvers are not worth repairing

wow lol. thanks for the replies. I may just keep it for a wall hanger or something, might just have it fixed so it wont work, of course after I get a replacement.

I had an RG 14, (a .22) just to test it and see what it could do. I bought it new and did quite a bit of testing with it. It was surprizingly accurate in my hands, fired very carefully, but I was on the University of Wisconsin varsity pistol team for four years.

It was reliable, but it was not really repairable. I would not recommend one to anyone, because they are a bad investment. Pay twice as much, and you can get something that will keep its value. Sometimes you can pick up a used Smith and Wesson for a couple of hundred dollars, especially if the finish is bad

A decade ago, I bought several dozen model 10 Smith & Wessons that were surplus London Police guns. They hadn't been shot much, but showed a bit of holster wear. As a dealer, I only paid about $100 each. They are long gone, but you still can find deals if you look hard.

Another possibility is to find a Taurus that has a problem. Taurus revolvers have a lifetime warranty, so you can send them back to Taurus and they will fix it for you for the cost of shipping (except for sights, grips, or finish, as I recall). The later Taurus revolvers can be pretty good guns.

I no longer have a Federal Firearms License.

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

I would say that if you brought from a private individual and no government agency was involved in the transaction, keep it handy in case some miscreatin breaks in and you discover after you've ventolated him that he was unarmed......But that would not be legal.....:uhoh:

android17ak47

I would say that if you brought from a private individual and no government agency was involved in the transaction, keep it handy in case some miscreatin breaks in and you discover after you've ventolated him that he was unarmed......But that would not be legal.....:uhoh:

lol, well I bought it from a local pawn shop and im sure its in my name now because of the backround check, idk.