• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc in other states?

hemifan87

I live in VA and can oc here I was going down into NC to work on my car with a freind and was wondering if there is any laws keeping me from oc ing there, NC is oc friendly. but i just want to be sure before I do it thanks.

Last edited:

eye95

I won't speak to NC law, but the rule of thumb is to follow the State law where you would carry. The only impact your home State has on the issue of OC is reciprocity if you have a license from that home State and one is needed to OC in the State you are visiting.

The folks in the NC forum would best be able to handle the specific issue of NC law.

hemifan87

Why are you asking dudes who post anonymously on the Interwebs this question. You apparently have a computer, look up the municipal code of the place you will be visiting. If it is rural, check state and county laws.

You:....but officer....ouch, these cuffs are a little tight....a dude on OpenCarry.org said it was OK to OC here....no, I swear, he was posted as being from North Carolina....

See how this works out for ya.

my bad i guess the friendly helpfull people are on the VA forum on this site sorry for asking a question

eye95

my bad i guess the friendly helpfull people are on the VA forum on this site sorry for asking a question

Ask away. However the point about relying on Internet legal advice is a good one. That is why we routinely cite to authority. I double-check all legal advice I get here with primary sources, but the knowledge of the law here is vastly superior to any other layman's site.

JDriver1.8t

It would probably be best to ask in the NC thread, but since I'm hear I can help.

Nothing is stopping you from OCing here. You can not carry where alcohol is sold and consumed (so called restaurant ban), you can not carry where signs of any kind are posted (on every entrance/exit to the building to be legal), and it must be in plain view when traveling in a vehicle (for conformity most say on the dash or passenger seat, on your hip is risky business if you get pulled)

Hope that helps.