Thread: I'm tired of guessing that game...

I'm tired of guessing that game...

Had an issue involving our apartment complex this night.

Guns involved, but thankfully not required. Ug. I'm heading for bed.

Before I go, however, I'm going to enjoy some comfort food - buttered bread!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

Nice that things ended peaceful.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

You gonna provide any more info?
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Let me guess... this is the game where we have to guess?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Then he might not get the attention that replies bring.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Ok, can't leave you hanging.

It was a suspected domestic violence issue. From what I gather, I have no idea if it was or not. The point of my post is that my neighbor knew me to be an OC, and elicited my help in determining what was going on downstairs. We called the police, and they responded.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Ok, can't leave you hanging.

It was a suspected domestic violence issue. From what I gather, I have no idea if it was or not. The point of my post is that my neighbor knew me to be an OC, and elicited my help in determining what was going on downstairs. We called the police, and they responded.
    From Experience:

You DO NOT want to get physically involved in a DV situation. They are one of the most DANGEROUS calls a LEO makes.

Staying out was an intelligent move.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Was your neighbor also armed? If not, why? If so, do you know him well enough to trust him in an armed encounter with someone involved in a domestic assault? Does he have the training or mental fortitude to be able to handle what you may encounter by injecting yourself into a potentially violent situation? I may like my neighbor but I don't know if I would gun up and walk into something with him.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Banned
    Him: Hey, neighbor, bring that gun I know you carry to this domestic disturbance in 1C.
    Me: Um....no.
    Him: Well, at least post about it on OCDO.
    Me: Um...no.

Your neighbor didn't want to call the police without assistance?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bom1911 View Post
    Your neighbor didn't want to call the police without assistance?
    Maybe he didn't want to needlessly waste public resources or involve quick to judge, officers in a situation that may not have needed it?

I tend to find out what's going on first before jumping to dial 911.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Maybe he didn't want to needlessly waste public resources or involve quick to judge, officers in a situation that may not have needed it?
    I think so. I think his main concern was calling the police on one's neighbors, if not absolutely necessary, can backfire in the long run, so we just listened in on things until they quieted down. It seemed to run the gamut of most arguments.

Here in Colorado, a DV charge is a one-way ticket to Azkaban when it comes to obtaining or renewing a CHP. Possibly rightly so, but sometimes people simply have heated disputes which don't actually cross the line, yet may be mistaken for doing so.

I tend to find out what's going on first before jumping to dial 911.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    From Experience:

You DO NOT want to get physically involved in a DV situation. They are one of the most DANGEROUS calls a LEO makes.
    I agree completely, OCW. Part of the reason I mention things like this here on this forum, is that because we do carry, there may be a temptation to do something which may prove unwise. I carry for self-defense. I am not a law enforcement officer. I'd step up to the plate if it were absolutely necessary, but that's quite rare for your average citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Was your neighbor also armed?
    Not with a firearm. He's an experienced swordsman, enough so to know that getting that close is in excellent way to die!

Does he have the training or mental fortitude to be able to handle what you may encounter...
    It was an occasion best served by calm, not action. Had action been warrented, I've absolutely no doubt he'd have been able to handle it. I think in part he was seeking both a second opinion as well as a witness before we called things in.
    Last edited by since9; 01-27-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Some folks on this forum are wound up tight enough to warrant tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by epilogue View Post
    Some folks on this forum are wound up tight enough to warrant tuning.
    Lol, yes. I'm simply trying to share some real-life experiences surrounding gun issues, primarily in the hopes of leading into discussions which may help the uninitiated around here get a better handle on the issues involved in owning and being responsible for a firearm, to "learn by the experience of others" rather than having to "learn the hard way." And no, I don't mean my experience alone, as there are many experienced and responsible gun owners on this forum.

So, please keept the comments coming! And thank you for them. As I've said before, I'm learning as much from the comments of others as anyone.
    Last edited by since9; 01-29-2011 at 08:57 AM.