• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm tired of guessing that game...

since9

Campaign Veteran
Had an issue involving our apartment complex this night.

Guns involved, but thankfully not required. Ug. I'm heading for bed.

Before I go, however, I'm going to enjoy some comfort food - buttered bread!

OldCurlyWolf

Nice that things ended peaceful.

sultan62

You gonna provide any more info? :eek:

since9

Campaign Veteran
You gonna provide any more info? :eek:

Ok, can't leave you hanging.

It was a suspected domestic violence issue. From what I gather, I have no idea if it was or not. The point of my post is that my neighbor knew me to be an OC, and elicited my help in determining what was going on downstairs. We called the police, and they responded.

OldCurlyWolf

Ok, can't leave you hanging.

It was a suspected domestic violence issue. From what I gather, I have no idea if it was or not. The point of my post is that my neighbor knew me to be an OC, and elicited my help in determining what was going on downstairs. We called the police, and they responded.

From Experience:

You DO NOT want to get physically involved in a DV situation. They are one of the most DANGEROUS calls a LEO makes.

Staying out was an intelligent move.:cool:

sraacke

Was your neighbor also armed? If not, why? If so, do you know him well enough to trust him in an armed encounter with someone involved in a domestic assault? Does he have the training or mental fortitude to be able to handle what you may encounter by injecting yourself into a potentially violent situation? I may like my neighbor but I don't know if I would gun up and walk into something with him.

eye95

Him: Hey, neighbor, bring that gun I know you carry to this domestic disturbance in 1C.
Me: Um....no.
Him: Well, at least post about it on OCDO.
Me: Um...no.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Maybe he didn't want to needlessly waste public resources or involve quick to judge, officers in a situation that may not have needed it?

I think so. I think his main concern was calling the police on one's neighbors, if not absolutely necessary, can backfire in the long run, so we just listened in on things until they quieted down. It seemed to run the gamut of most arguments.

Here in Colorado, a DV charge is a one-way ticket to Azkaban when it comes to obtaining or renewing a CHP. Possibly rightly so, but sometimes people simply have heated disputes which don't actually cross the line, yet may be mistaken for doing so.

I tend to find out what's going on first before jumping to dial 911.

Yep.

From Experience:

You DO NOT want to get physically involved in a DV situation. They are one of the most DANGEROUS calls a LEO makes.

I agree completely, OCW. Part of the reason I mention things like this here on this forum, is that because we do carry, there may be a temptation to do something which may prove unwise. I carry for self-defense. I am not a law enforcement officer. I'd step up to the plate if it were absolutely necessary, but that's quite rare for your average citizen.

Was your neighbor also armed?

Not with a firearm. He's an experienced swordsman, enough so to know that getting that close is in excellent way to die!

Does he have the training or mental fortitude to be able to handle what you may encounter...

It was an occasion best served by calm, not action. Had action been warrented, I've absolutely no doubt he'd have been able to handle it. I think in part he was seeking both a second opinion as well as a witness before we called things in.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Some folks on this forum are wound up tight enough to warrant tuning.

Lol, yes. I'm simply trying to share some real-life experiences surrounding gun issues, primarily in the hopes of leading into discussions which may help the uninitiated around here get a better handle on the issues involved in owning and being responsible for a firearm, to "learn by the experience of others" rather than having to "learn the hard way." And no, I don't mean my experience alone, as there are many experienced and responsible gun owners on this forum.

So, please keept the comments coming! And thank you for them. As I've said before, I'm learning as much from the comments of others as anyone.

Last edited: