• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Las Vegas v. Coupeville

Dave Workman

LAS VEGAS — The good citizens of Coupeville — that town up on Whidbey Island now in the headlines for the questionably-legal decision to ban firearms retail stores within 1,000 feet of a school — need to spend some time at the Sands Convention Center in Las Vegas, where the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show wraps up today.
Lacking time to get here, maybe a drive to Puyallup this weekend is in order, for the monthly Washington Arms Collectors’ gun show at the fairgrounds.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...-vegas-and-coupeville-common-sense-v-nonsense

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/4d5hj8e

amlevin

What you say makes sense but they are within their rights under State Law. While RCW9.41.290 does preempt local laws on regulating firearms it does allow them to pass laws as stated in RCW9.41.300.

RCW9.41.300

(3)(a) Cities, towns, and counties may enact ordinances restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold, but, except as provided in (b) of this subsection, a business selling firearms may not be treated more restrictively than other businesses located within the same zone. An ordinance requiring the cessation of business within a zone shall not have a shorter grandfather period for businesses selling firearms than for any other businesses within the zone.

Stupid, but not illegal. Not even questionable given the clarity of the law.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
What you say makes sense but they are within their rights under State Law. While RCW9.41.290 does preempt local laws on regulating firearms it does allow them to pass laws as stated in RCW9.41.300.

RCW9.41.300

(3)(a) Cities, towns, and counties may enact ordinances restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold, but, except as provided in (b) of this subsection, a business selling firearms may not be treated more restrictively than other businesses located within the same zone. An ordinance requiring the cessation of business within a zone shall not have a shorter grandfather period for businesses selling firearms than for any other businesses within the zone.

Stupid, but not illegal. Not even questionable given the clarity of the law.

You overlooked the "may not be treated more restrictively than other businesses located within the same zone" part of that, so if other retail businesses are allowed, so are those that sell firearms, except as provided in referenced section (b)

(b) Cities, towns, and counties may restrict the location of a business selling firearms to not less than five hundred feet from primary or secondary school grounds, if the business has a storefront, has hours during which it is open for business, and posts advertisements or signs observable to passersby that firearms are available for sale. A business selling firearms that exists as of the date a restriction is enacted under this subsection (3)(b) shall be grandfathered according to existing law.

Plus if they did not post "advertisements or signs observable to passersby that firearms are available for sale", even the five hundred feet would not apply.

So you are right, not questionable given the clarity of the law. The ban within 1000' is unquestionably a violation of state law.

amlevin

You overlooked the "may not be treated more restrictively than other businesses located within the same zone" part of that, so if other retail businesses are allowed, so are those that sell firearms, except as provided in referenced section (b)

Plus if they did not post "advertisements or signs observable to passersby that firearms are available for sale", even the five hundred feet would not apply.

So you are right, not questionable given the clarity of the law. The ban within 1000' is unquestionably a violation of state law.

Part b only refers to a Minimum distance.

As for the "more restrictively" clause it merely means that they can't restrict OTHER aspects of their business opperation than firearms. They can't restrict hours of operation of these businesses to less than others. They can't force them to provide any facilities other than those of other businesses. But since the whole point of the Statute is to allow restriction of firearm sales and location, they certainly can limit them as to location.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I read this they can restrict a business selling firearms within 500 ft of primary or secondary school but if another business is with in that zone they cannot be more restrictive and thus they do not have the authoritative of law to restrict it that is not in the purview of (b).

If they are denying a business selling firearms that has other business operating in the same zone, I feel they do not have that authority.

(3)(a) Cities, towns, and counties may enact ordinances restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold, but, except as provided in
[(b) Cities, towns, and counties may restrict the location of a business selling firearms to not less than five hundred feet from primary or secondary school grounds, if the business has a storefront, has hours during which it is open for business, and posts advertisements or signs observable to passersby that firearms are available for sale. A business selling firearms that exists as of the date a restriction is enacted under this subsection (3)(b) shall be grandfathered according to existing law.]​
of this subsection, a business selling firearms may not be treated more restrictively than other businesses located within the same zone. An ordinance requiring the cessation of business within a zone shall not have a shorter grandfather period for businesses selling firearms than for any other businesses within the zone.

[ ] Added for emphasis

Last edited:

tombrewster421

If there's a federal law stating that you can't bring a gun within 1000 feet, wouldn't their law just prevent people from breaking that law? Maybe that's where their logic came from. Theoretically, a person buying a gun could be ticketed as soon as he steps out the door onto the sidewalk.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If there's a federal law stating that you can't bring a gun within 1000 feet, wouldn't their law just prevent people from breaking that law? Maybe that's where their logic came from. Theoretically, a person buying a gun could be ticketed as soon as he steps out the door onto the sidewalk.

Unless they have a CPL.

tombrewster421

Unless they have a CPL.

Only if the CPL is from the same state as the school is in of course. Stupid law. I was just trying to show the cities possible logic. Personally, I think teachers should have a responsibility to carry guns in the classroom to protect the children, who are our future.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Only if the CPL is from the same state as the school is in of course. Stupid law. I was just trying to show the cities possible logic. Personally, I think teachers should have a responsibility to carry guns in the classroom to protect the children, who are our future.

Of course, we are talking about here in Washington where we are located correct :).
I concur as well as allowing teachers to be armed as well.

Trigger Dr

Not all teachers... I can think of a couple teachers (LaTourneau) that the students should have been protected from.
Before the internet grammar police speak up, I will quote my 8th grade english teacher. "never use a preposition to end a sentence with."

Last edited:

heresolong

Part b only refers to a Minimum distance.

Disagree. "may restrict the business to not less than 500 feet" means that they can keep a business from being within 500 feet. Doesn't mean that they can increase the distance that has been specified in state law. And then only if they post signs advertising firearm sales.

However, they are clearly in violation at the 1000' mark unless they restrict all businesses from being within 1000'.

amlevin

Personally, I think teachers should have a responsibility to carry guns in the classroom to protect the children, who are our future.

Can't say that I totally agree with this. Some of the teachers I have met would be a bigger hazard to the kids if they were armed. It's bad enough that we allow some of them to have access to our children's minds.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Disagree. "may restrict the business to not less than 500 feet" means that they can keep a business from being within 500 feet. Doesn't mean that they can increase the distance that has been specified in state law. And then only if they post signs advertising firearm sales.

However, they are clearly in violation at the 1000' mark unless they restrict all businesses from being within 1000'.

except the "grandfathering" portion allows a shorter grandfather period for firearms than for other businesses. So, all firearms stores get a 1 - 2 week grandfather period and the other stores get 50-100 YEARS!

ak56

Campaign Veteran
except the "grandfathering" portion allows a shorter grandfather period for firearms than for other businesses. So, all firearms stores get a 1 - 2 week grandfather period and the other stores get 50-100 YEARS!

Read it again:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Last I looked having a business grandfathered means since it was there before the ordinance or law was enacted they still can operate as before.

amlevin

Last I looked having a business grandfathered means since it was there before the ordinance or law was enacted they still can operate as before.

But they can limit the amount of time it does so.

There are also other considerations. Remodeling, Changing Signs, Enlarging, and other such things a business may want to do can be limited. "Grandfathering" only insures that the original business may operate for a given period of time in it's original form.

Grandfathering is supposedly done so that the property owner can meet their mortgage, franchisee, or other legal obligations which are often based on the continued operation of the business.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
When I looked into getting a C&R license and went to the city of Tacoma to get a business license I was told that because I was within 500 feet of a elementary school it would not be granted.