• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What was your experience as a new handgun owner?

Jerry1981

I'm just curious how other people feel as first time handgun owners . For example when you first start carrying it were you a little uneasy having a round in the chamber.For me it took a while before I felt comfortable carrying my pistol in a +1 configuration. For a while I would just walk around my house with a full mag in the well just no round in the tube. And how about the first time you took it with you while out driving running errands and stuff. Were you uneasy at first worrying about people seeing it and worrying about the cops. Where did you keep the gun if you went into a place where carrying was not prohibited because I would worry about my gun if I just left it on the seat or dash while I was not in it. I would worry someone might try to break in and take it. Now please don't misunderstand all this and think I walk around scared of the gun I just had to get used to it by doing it .I walk around my house with it holstered and chambered now same when in the car .I just didn't want anyone to break in because they saw something they liked . So people please share your experiences unless your perfect and nothing bothers your or makes you a little uncomfortable at first.

nobama

I have learned a long time ago that (unless its a worn out piece) that guns just dont go off. Ive sat in deer stands, on the ground, walked through corn with a loaded gun and they just wont go off. Now if Im carrying a hand gun in a holster then there is really no where safer it can be. Just dont screw with it and you will be fine. My opinion with experience.

Jerry1981

I totally understand about it not just going off but when i first started to carry it , it still took some time to get comfortable with it thats all and I was just wondering how other people felt and was there anything they had to get used to to feel comfortable

Jerry1981

Im going tuesday to apply for my NCHP license . I have been carrying it in my car but have yet to walk into a store with it I'm just debating whether I'm ready for all the harassment that comes with it.

sultan62

I OCd for several months before I got my CHP. I have handled and shot firearms including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, so I was confident in the reliability of my handgun before I started carrying. OCing IMO gets more comfortable as time goes on-I have yet to be harassed by LE.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I became a gun owner a year ago & almost immediately started open carrying. Never been accosted by law enforcement. The only place I was ever hassled at was Best Buy (Greensboro), and even then, they were polite about it.

More often I get questions & opportunities to educate the sheep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

nobama

If you are talking about being comfortable as in just the idea where somebody might say something and not the physical part, then I would say it will get better the more you carry. If its the physical part then that is your personal preference.

78 Camaro

Carrying in NC is too restrictive

I went thru the same as you. Self conscious, plus being a noobie to handguns handling them I was afraid of a ND.
Over time I've become more comfortable with my gun.

What sux is most of the time when we go out its to the movies or restaurant or some other prohibited place. So I lock mine up in one of those Center of Mass gun safes.

I don't like having the gun on the hip while driving as it is unaccessible and pokes me in the side. So I have a thigh drop holster attached to the console cup holder hanging down just in front of the seat. Quick easy access and driving is much more comfortable. Just gotta be careful reholstering in and out of the car.

i hope the law is changed this year to allow carry where alcohol is sold and served. I usually don't drink anyway cause I'm the driver,. Can't drink if you're carrying anyway so the law is redundant.

Jerry1981

First OC and no issues

Just went to Food Lion and decided I would OC for first time and I just walked in and didn't even think about it got a few things went and paid with the hot cashier and left . No one appeared to be watching me but i wasn't really looking and no one bothered me . So hopefully this food lion will continue to be OC friendly because they are 1/4 mile from my house and I do all my shopping there.

Last edited:

rotorhead

Just went to Food Lion and decided I would OC for first time and I just walked in and didn't even think about it got a few things went and paid with the hot cashier and left . No one appeared to be watching me but i wasn't really looking and no one bothered me . So hopefully this food lion will continue to be OC friendly because they are 1/4 mile from my house and I do all my shopping there.

I think I can sorta understand the apprehension, but think of it this way: Do you feel the same when you wear boots instead of sneakers? How about when you wear blue shirts? Maybe you get a little nervous when wearing shorts instead of long pants?

All of the above are legal to wear openly in NC, and so is your handgun. :)

Relax, as long as you understand the restrictions related to carrying in NC and are in compliance with them, you are doing nothing more illegal than you would be if you were breathing through your nose instead of your mouth.

Good luck out there.

Jerry1981

I think I can sorta understand the apprehension, but think of it this way: Do you feel the same when you wear boots instead of sneakers? How about when you wear blue shirts? Maybe you get a little nervous when wearing shorts instead of long pants? All of the above are legal to wear openly in NC, and so is your handgun. :)

I feel same way about it being just another legal thing but the problem is all the sheep out there who bug out when they see such an evil device. I always tell people how many guys do you know who carry a Knife and no one bugs out about that and knives can do a lot of damage as well.

rotorhead

I feel same way about it being just another legal thing but the problem is all the sheep out there who bug out when they see such an evil device. I always tell people how many guys do you know who carry a Knife and no one bugs out about that and knives can do a lot of damage as well.

Don't worry about them, there's nothing you can do to change their initial reactions. What you can help to do, however, is change their second reactions if ever asked about carrying by replying positively and with resolve. Some will never change, yet many get over their initial fears once someone explains to them the laws and purposes of why you carry.

In the end, it's about your personal safety, not their fears. That should be your number one priority. As long as it's not your intention to scare them, you're good under the law no matter how "scared" they get. You may encounter LEOs who misunderstand that, or who try to charge you by misapplying laws over the years, but deal with those times as they come.

If you get too wrapped up in what could happen instead of what actually does you'll end up a nervous wreck :)

Last edited:

Smith45acp

My first handgun was a pt92fs.

The first time I hit the decocking lever with a round in the chamber was kind of nerve-racking!

sultan62

Yeah, when I heard "decocking lever" for the first time, I imagined that it would be a slow decocking, like I would do with my thumb.

I was, needless to say, incorrect. I was somewhat surprised, to say the least.