• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about CHP, OC, and active duty military

airevac19

Greetings all. I've been reading most of the posts for answers to my questions and couldn't really get a consensus about an answer.

I am AD USAF here at Pope and a legal resident of AK (most of you know that i was able to carry concealed w/o a permit there). I still have my AK DL, plates, state on my LES, and various legal paperwork stating i'm an AK resident. I do own property here in NC however.

I have looked at the Harnett Co SO website for CHP issuance and from the way I read it, i can't get a permit here in NC because I am an AK resident. My wife, however, is a NC resident (AK doesn't allow spouses of military members to keep their residency) so she can.

My question is this:

1. Being an AK resident, can I OC here in the state legally?
2. Can I get a CHP issued while not a resident of NC?

The whole question came about because I have been told by both Guns Plus and Gander Mtn. here in Fayettenam that I can attend the class and get my permit. Also, my wife and her friend want to start walking around the neighborhood and don't feel safe since there are many pit bulls just wandering the place and Harnett county doesn't have a leash law. For instance, my wife's husband has been attacked at least twice while running with their dog in the neighborhood.

Any help would be great.

Thanks for having this site, it has been very helpful to me.

Cheers!

sultan62

You can definitely OC. I believe owning property here affords you the privilege of applying for a CHP, but I'm not completely sure about that. NC does have reciprocity with AK, so if you are able to obtain one there, it will be good here as well.

NCjones

You can OC. North Carolina makes no distinction between resident and non residents so far as OC'ing.

As for CC'ing, North Carolina does not have a non-resident CHP. However, Virginia does, and North Carolina honors VA non-resident permits. The only evidence of training you will need for a VA non-res permit is a copy of DD214 or some kind of evidence of military training with a weapon.

I have a VA non-res and have CC'd for 2 years now. Been stopped while driving a couple of times and no problems. The Virginia State Police website has the application you can download. Send them a couple of photos, fingerprint cards, evidence of training with a handgun, and some money and wait. Mine took about 2 months. http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

By the way, if you can't get any evidence of firearms training, the Maryland Police Training Commission has a free on-line course that takes about 30 minutes to do and if you pass the quiz at the end you can print out a certificate of completion. http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As an "actual resident" of NC you should be able to apply for a CHP in NC.

What does NC state code say on the matter?

Have heard of certain stipulations (extra-legal?) such as requiring the "consent of their command."
http://sheriff.onslowcountync.gov/acrobat/Military.pdf

The Utah permit is cheaper to acquire and much cheaper to renew and has almost identical coverage. Compare and decide.

rotorhead

Greetings all. I've been reading most of the posts for answers to my questions and couldn't really get a consensus about an answer.

I am AD USAF here at Pope and a legal resident of AK (most of you know that i was able to carry concealed w/o a permit there). I still have my AK DL, plates, state on my LES, and various legal paperwork stating i'm an AK resident. I do own property here in NC however.

I have looked at the Harnett Co SO website for CHP issuance and from the way I read it, i can't get a permit here in NC because I am an AK resident. My wife, however, is a NC resident (AK doesn't allow spouses of military members to keep their residency) so she can.

My question is this:

The whole question came about because I have been told by both Guns Plus and Gander Mtn. here in Fayettenam that I can attend the class and get my permit. Also, my wife and her friend want to start walking around the neighborhood and don't feel safe since there are many pit bulls just wandering the place and Harnett county doesn't have a leash law. For instance, my wife's husband has been attacked at least twice while running with their dog in the neighborhood.

Any help would be great.

Cheers!

You may want to tell your wife's husband to be more careful when running.....lol

I'm sure that was a typo- just razzing you a little.

Welcome to NC and the Pope area. Along with the advice given here already, I believe Florida also does non-resident permits, which are also honored here in NC.

airevac19

Thanks guys for the info. Just out of curiosity what would i need for proof of training from the military? Would my qualification card on the M-4 and M-9 work as proof?

I'm going to look at both VA and Utah and decide.

Thanks again!!

airevac19

You may want to tell your wife's husband to be more careful when running.....lol

I'm sure that was a typo- just razzing you a little.

Welcome to NC and the Pope area. Along with the advice given here already, I believe Florida also does non-resident permits, which are also honored here in NC.

OOPS! i make sure I don't tell my "wife"!! LOL

It's more like welcome back to NC and Pope. was stationed here from 2002-2005. been back since 2008.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks guys for the info. Just out of curiosity what would i need for proof of training from the military? Would my qualification card on the M-4 and M-9 work as proof?

I'm going to look at both VA and Utah and decide.

Thanks again!!

In Virginia your DD214 is sufficient in itself - no active range participation is required.

Don't know the specifics on Utah or NC, but sure that others will chime in.

VetteFreakC5

I asked the old lady who works at the Harnette County Sherrifs Office if my military weapon qualification will work, she told me no, because that does not count as a concealed carry class.

Also, I am not a "resident" of NC but since I own property here I was told I can obtain a NC CWP, especially since I have been here since '02 and a Harnette County home owner since '06....in fact my CWP class is tomorrow at Guns Plus in Spring Lake lol.

Only down side to Harnette County Sherrifs Dept is that they are slow to process purchase permits, but the sherrif-from everything i can tell- is pro-2a

rotorhead

In Virginia your DD214 is sufficient in itself - no active range participation is required.

The bad thing about a DD214 is that he wont have one until after he's out of the military. You don't get one while still in.

On the other hand, military orders assigning someone to a post may serve to be sufficient. Might want to call the Sheriff's office and ask them if your orders assigning you to Pope is good enough for the permit, airevac.

cricketdad

My question is this:

Any help would be great.

Cheers!

email me at cricketdad@nc.rr.com for some info

NCjones

I asked the old lady who works at the Harnette County Sherrifs Office if my military weapon qualification will work, she told me no, because that does not count as a concealed carry class.

Also, I am not a "resident" of NC but since I own property here I was told I can obtain a NC CWP, especially since I have been here since '02 and a Harnette County home owner since '06....in fact my CWP class is tomorrow at Guns Plus in Spring Lake lol.

She's correct. The DD214 or military experience won't work in NC, nor the Maryland Police Commission certification.
Enjoy the class. It's a usually a lot of fun if the instructor is any good. And nor matter how much you already know you will learn something.

AFPVet

Hmm... I would think that his CAC would be sufficient. Another option would be to join a police reserve force and complete a state certified LE program.

bwhunter65

Took me about 3 weeks to get my cpp from harnett county you can down load all forms from there web site. I also took my class at guns plus my advise to you is to read up on the laws yourself. The instructor views on printing are not right and his thoughts on OCing because of Going Armed To The Terror Of The People is dont.

chiefjason

For the CCP you must be a resident.

14‑415.12. Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit.
(a) The sheriff shall issue a permit to an applicant if the applicant qualifies under the following criteria:
(1) The applicant is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the State 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.
(2) The applicant is 21 years of age or older.
snip..........

Non resident that is reciprocal sounds like your best bet.

For the non resident folks, here is a refresher on NC gun laws if you need a quick resource.

http://www.ncdoj.com/Files/About-DOJ/Law-Enforcement-Liaison/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

XDUser

DD214, picture and the check for the fee. I did this in Colonial Heights and it was less then one week from turning in the application until I received a letter in the mail from the DA thanking me for my service and my permit was ready for pick up at the court house.
Out of state would obviously take longer but go just as smooth and it covers a wide area. Either / Or get one, or more.