• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hotels in Nashville

PennsyPlinker

I have searched the boards here and cannot find an answer. In my reading on handgunlaw.us, it appears that private property can be marked no guns, and those signs carry the weight of the law behind them. Can anyone local to Nashville tell me about the hotels in the area? I am looking specifically at the Radisson across from Opryland. Is it posted for no handguns? Can anyone offer me any other information that might be pertinent to carrying while in Nashville?

Thanks.

PennsyPlinker

It is the easiest thing to do. It is also not always the smartest thing to do. All I need to do is call down and ask, and get some do gooder nanny who thinks that it might be a good idea to put up a sign, even if no sign had been there before. It may not even be policy, but someone lower in the chain of command decides to take it on themselves to make it their own little policy, and that means trouble for me on my visit.

This has happened up here in PA a number of times. I was personally involved along with others in getting the signs taken down at Cabela's of all places. Corporate policy was guns are fine, but someone at the local store decided to put his own signs up. I don't want to "shoot myself in the foot" by raising a flag and drawing attention where there was none.

HvyMtl

No. Typically, go to the website of the corporation (Radisson) and see if they have info.

Do not ask the front desk dude. They won't know. Ask the manager. When the manager gives an answer - check it with corporate. IF it is not corporate policy, get the corporate policy. Use a fake name and *67 on your telephone, in case you fear retribution. Word it in a way NOT to remind them to post signs.

AS for your hotel room, you are considered to have some type of privacy, and safety. I, too, need to look these issues up. But, I believe you can have a firearm in your room. Make sure there is a way to secure it in your vehicle, at the least, and in your room. In case you do find a restaurant, business, or mall you are going to does not allow them, you will have a secure spot for it.

AS for sign posting, I am unsure as I do not frequent that area.

FYI: The Opry Mills Mall was shuttered by the May 2010 flood. In addition, this hotel may also have been impacted by the flood. According to their website:"THE RADISSON HOTEL AT OPRYLAND WILL UNDERGO RENOVATIONS JANUARY THROUGH APRIL 2011"

Merely due to that info, I suggest another hotel, as renovations are always a pain to deal with.

Remember: Check out Tennessee Handgun permit website for reciprocity. DO familiarize yourself with Tennessee's permit rules, as those are the ones enforced. Example: Other states allow tazer, or knives, or spray, Tennessee's is handgun only. http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm

Last edited:

PennsyPlinker

Well, I went the corporate route. There was nothing of any substance on any of the web pages, so I called customer service. The nice young lady did tell me it would be against the law to shoot people. I let her know that I already knew that, and if I had been planning that, I would not have called to ask if it was okay to bring my gun. That got a giggle, but not much else. She did not know if there even was a policy. But, she had an idea.

She put me through to corporate customer service. That guy did not know of any specific policy from a corporate point of view, and went on to say that each hotel was individually owned. He then volunteered to call the one I had in mind and ask for me. He reported back that the young lady at the desk said there were no signs on the doors. That is good enough for me. Apparently the front desk girl also told him that TN was a state where people were allowed to carry. That was encouraging. As far as staying there goes, I didn't get to pick the place. I am a Red Roof kind of guy, but in this case I am appearing for an event, and so the organizers pick the venue.

Thanks for your responses. I had hoped someone would have the quick info so I could avoid calling, but you gave me the lead I needed to get the info without giving out any of my own.

Fallguy

I don't remember all the correct terms and references, but seems I've heard several times, that since you are paying for the room, it has become your temporary residence and therefore you can have a loaded firearm, even without a carry permit and even if the hotel is posted.

If it is posted you can still should be able to unload it and carry it to and from your room and the outside.

Another TN based board I'm on has several members and I've never heard anyone mention a hotel being posted in Nashville or anywhere in the state for that matter. Of course not saying there isn't one out there somewhere either.

HvyMtl

Just a thought, you may want to call the location and see what the renovation is, and make sure your room is far away from it... Off, off chance of getting a discount due to the renovations...

I think Fall Guy is correct on the hotel room. Just make sure, if you have to leave it in the room, it cannot walk away...or be easily visible to maid service...

Last edited:

Fallguy

Just a thought, you may want to call the location and see what the renovation is, and make sure your room is far away from it... Off, off chance of getting a discount due to the renovations...

I think Fall Guy is correct on the hotel room. Just make sure, if you have to leave it in the room, it cannot walk away...or be easily visible to maid service...

+1

PennsyPlinker

Any firearms will definitely be secured if they are not on my person or that of Mrs. Plinker. ;) As far as renovations, fees, and such, my room is costing me nothing. But, I think it might be worthwhile calling to see what is what with the renovating. I appreciate the heads up on that as well.