• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Access to Military Bases if any

Chap

I'm retiring from the Military this year (Mandatory 30 year retirement). I want to travel around the US on a Honda GL1800. (retirement present to myself :lol:) I'd imagine I will be hoping from one Military base to another either to use the lodging on base or use other benefits. I presently carry concealed 24/7 so you can imagine my next question.

Since it's a Federal Installation what would be my concerns or procedures. Basically are there any Veterans out there who have walked down this path? I'm sure I could talk with each base security office prior to coming on board but that seems like a real hassle. I could imagine them asking me to leave my weapon at the office until I depart, again a real hassle. :cuss: :banghead:

Thanks,
Chap

eye95

The problem that you will face is that there is no single policy on every installation. You're gonna have to call and make arrangements, base by base.

Sorry, man. It shouldn't be that way. At the very least the military ought to allow carry, open or concealed, by anyone with a permit from any State. At the very least. Heck, the military ought to issue carry permits valid on base.

Of course, there are secure areas where only authorized personnel should be armed, but the vast majority of places on base don't fit this criteria, and secure areas tend to have access points beyond which unauthorized people and unauthorized weapons could be barred.

Good luck in your travels. I hope you find handy ways to resolve the carry on multiple bases issue. The information would be useful to other retirees.

Since I am a retiree and I recently started working on base again, I spend most of my time [strike]unarmed[/strike] helpless.

rodbender

I'm retiring from the Military this year (Mandatory 30 year retirement). I want to travel around the US on a Honda GL1800. (retirement present to myself :lol:) I'd imagine I will be hoping from one Military base to another either to use the lodging on base or use other benefits. I presently carry concealed 24/7 so you can imagine my next question.

Since it's a Federal Installation what would be my concerns or procedures. Basically are there any Veterans out there who have walked down this path? I'm sure I could talk with each base security office prior to coming on board but that seems like a real hassle. I could imagine them asking me to leave my weapon at the office until I depart, again a real hassle. :cuss: :banghead:

Thanks,
Chap

I'll be retiring in April of this year and will be doing the same, except I have never been in the military so I will be using tent and sleeping bag. Maybe I'll see you out there. OH, I'll be on a Heritage Softtail.

Japle

It's usually "Base Commander's descretion".

I go to Patrick AFB frequently. The sign at the gate says, "No concealed weapons". If I'm just going to base and then back home, I leave my guns in my safe. If I'll be making other stops, I unload my guns and lock them in a hard case before hitting the gate, then re-arm when I leave.

Chap

I'll be retiring in April of this year and will be doing the same, except I have never been in the military so I will be using tent and sleeping bag. Maybe I'll see you out there. OH, I'll be on a Heritage Softtail.

Congrats on your retirement rodbender,

I might be in the same camp ground with you. since I won't long haul trip around the USA without my weapon.

Funny how I'm qualified to carry for the Military while in the performance of my official duty. Yet (I will most likely) have to disarm before entering a base to use the perks I've earned by 30 years of faithful service.

I'm still hopeful one of the Military Veterans on this forum might knows more on this subject. I'm open to hear any work around or a method to streamline the process. (a can of coffee can usually grease the wheels on most bases)(Veterans know what I mean) I always follow the regulations or laws so hiding it in my vehicle safe is not an option for me.

I hear every day is a Saturday after you retire, Yea see you on the open road,

Chap

Chap

OK thanks for the info, I hope it's concealed carry prohibited only. I have a safe and as long as thats all I'm OK with that. Since I'm not going to be near home, leaving the weapon at the house won't work. Currently when I leave town on trips I stay at hotels and I leave my vehicle weapon safe in the hotel,when I visit bases. Again that won't help if I want to just pop in during my travels or if I try to stay on the base ect....

I appreciate the responses.......... I know I will have to do more homework on this, like pre-printing up a form out lining the question then mass mailing them to various bases to see the response I get back. I just figured I couldn't be the first person anticipating this nomad life style. I figured I might prevent myself from reinventing the wheel by asking you old farts out there......Ops did I just say OLD? I meant seasoned, wise veterans.

Chap

Last edited:

rodbender

Congrats on your retirement rodbender,

I might be in the same camp ground with you. since I won't long haul trip around the USA without my weapon.

Funny how I'm qualified to carry for the Military while in the performance of my official duty. Yet (I will most likely) have to disarm before entering a base to use the perks I've earned by 30 years of faithful service.

I'm still hopeful one of the Military Veterans on this forum might knows more on this subject. I'm open to hear any work around or a method to streamline the process. (a can of coffee can usually grease the wheels on most bases)(Veterans know what I mean) I always follow the regulations or laws so hiding it in my vehicle safe is not an option for me.

I hear every day is a Saturday after you retire, Yea see you on the open road,

Chap

I'm not going without mine either. When I go through NY state, I'll be stopping at the nearest UPS store in Pa and ship it to myself at the nearest in Vt to be held at the store and same coming back. After that all I need to do is find a way to store it somewhere while I go to Chicago to get to the beginning of Rt 66. After that I'll have it with me everywhere. Ain't going to Kalifornia.

KBCraig

It's usually "Base Commander's descretion".
It used to be up to the base commander, until the Fort Hood incident. Shortly after that, DoD issued a directive that all military installations upgrade to a single strict standard: no firearms allowed except those registered with the Provost Marshal (or equivalent), and only if unloaded and securely cased.

Before that, most USAF bases banned all guns. Army posts varied wildly, from "no guns" to "licensed carry is okay except in buildings".

Chap

One standard is what I was hoping for

Thanks for the reply, :lol:

I could live with locking up weapon before entering. This would meet my needs and simplify the experience.

Now if we could just get a US wide open carry & concealed carry policy.

Chap

KansasMustang

At Ft. Riley KS

Basically the requirement as previously stated tho' he was missing a couple of points. The weapon must be unloaded. The Ammunition must be stored separately from the weapon. The weapon must not be easily accessible, either locked in a hard case or out of immediate reach. Then upon entry to the installation you must immediately notify the Security Guards who will then register the weapon for and with you by filling out a simple form. They will sign it and give you a copy to keep with you and the gun. I know this to be fact, it's what I do I am A DASG/LEO.

eye95

It used to be up to the base commander, until the Fort Hood incident. Shortly after that, DoD issued a directive that all military installations upgrade to a single strict standard: no firearms allowed except those registered with the Provost Marshal (or equivalent), and only if unloaded and securely cased.

Before that, most USAF bases banned all guns. Army posts varied wildly, from "no guns" to "licensed carry is okay except in buildings".

Cite? I'd really like to read whatever the standard regulation is.

Chap

Thanks KansasMustang

Is this quickly done at the gate or would I be directed to the security office?

Is this common place? Just notify the security person at the gate and he doesn't blink just informs you how to handle it?

Chap

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Thanks,
Chap

If you get near Ft Belvoir, Virginia -- look us up! I ride a GL1800 and spouse has a Yamaha touring bike. I envy you the opportunity to travel like that.

I was all set to state unequivocally that it was base-specific when I read KBCraig's response, and vaguely remember that. I couldn't cite specific directives, though.

It distresses me greatly that I spent an entire career in the military, and have worked most of my post-military career on military installations, but must disarm every day to go to work.

What's worse is that I now work on a military base in DC. Thus I have to travel Virginia, Maryland, and DC to get to/from work.

eye95

I remember that effort being made. I don't remember it being completed, or, if it has been, what the outcome was. Therefore, if someone is aware of the cross-service regulation, I'd appreciate it if it were cited.

Chap

Good to know, same goes if your in or near Greenville, Mississippi.

If you get near Ft Belvoir, Virginia -- look us up! I ride a GL1800 and spouse has a Yamaha touring bike. I envy you the opportunity to travel like that.

Thanks Tess for the invite, I frequent Gl1800riders.com and my user name is "Chap" with the quotes around it. I'm waiting to see what the Honda 2012 model looks like. I hope I can afford the fully loaded ABS model. I like to buy the best, that way I never have to think about " what if " I had purchased this or that option. Life is too short to cut corners.

I was born in Baltimore and joined CG SEP81in MD. I still have relatives in MD and was stationed in Chincoteague, VA for a few years. I'm sure I'll be up and down the east coast visiting old Coastie friends and family.

Chap

Last edited:

Chap

I had a friend who was a CG lawyer

I'll check and see if my friend is still in the CG. If so he might be in a position to hook me up with an answer to the CURRENT access procedures for Military Bases.

I just figured forum members already had this figured out and it would be a cut and dry answer. If I locate my friend I'll try and get everything in writing and not be an opinion.

Chap

KansasMustang

Is this quickly done at the gate or would I be directed to the security office?

Is this common place? Just notify the security person at the gate and he doesn't blink just informs you how to handle it?

Chap

It's done right at the gate by the DA Guards. One thing to make sure is, go into the gate with the ammunition and gun already separate and secured. And inform them right up front that it is your intent to register it, and present them your retired ID card. Most of the guards, at least at Ft. Riley anyhow, are prior military or retired Military. So it should be relatively easy and will take only a few minutes.

jsimmons

The problem that you will face is that there is no single policy on every installation. You're gonna have to call and make arrangements, base by base.

At the very least the military ought to allow carry, open or concealed, by anyone with a permit from any State. At the very least. Heck, the military ought to issue carry permits valid on base.

What they SHOULD do is just follow the laws of the state in which the facility is located, or just follow the aready established law of the land, i.e., the 2nd Amendment.

eye95

What they SHOULD do is just follow the laws of the state in which the facility is located, or just follow the aready established law of the land, i.e., the 2nd Amendment.

That is why I said "at least."

BTW, following the laws of the State in which a base is located could work against the member. If a member is stationed in a State that does not reciprocate with his home State, he'd have to requalify for a license every time he was reassigned. Military installations should recognize licenses from any State (or ones they issue themselves) for carry on base.