• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DRT Ammo, anyone ever used it?

LR Yote 312

DRT could often and many times means Dead Right There.

I understand in this case it refers to Dynamic Research Technologies
but a Liberal Prosecuting Attorney could put a real nasty spin on things
and totally change the outlook of the direction you want your self defense
case to go.

My own thoughts are to error on the side of caution and use what your local
LEO's are using.

LR Yote

anmut

DRT could often and many times means Dead Right There.

I understand in this case it refers to Dynamic Research Technologies
but a Liberal Prosecuting Attorney could put a real nasty spin on things
and totally change the outlook of the direction you want your self defense
case to go.

My own thoughts are to error on the side of caution and use what your local
LEO's are using.

LR Yote

I think the time is right to stop being afraid of lawyers.

amaixner

It's just another brand of expanding ammo. Anything promising massively higher performance than regular high-end defensive ammo (golden saber, XTP, ranger, ranger XST, etc) is most likely a gimmick. For an example of a gimmic, see "extreme shock" ammo.

AaronS

It's just another brand of expanding ammo. Anything promising massively higher performance than regular high-end defensive ammo (golden saber, XTP, ranger, ranger XST, etc) is most likely a gimmick. For an example of a gimmic, see "extreme shock" ammo.

What I love to see are the rounds that come in the little six packs. Like $2 round for weak 9mm, what a joke. That "extreme shock" is a good one also. I ran a box of them in .45, and the rounds are extremely shocking, no power...
I like the ranger line, due to the bonded jacket. I have a few boxes of them in .40, the round does have full power, and does expand well. At the same time, for protection, I tend to use cor-bon pow'rball. The ball helps feed faster, and jam free. The .45 has REAL power, and expands so good it freaks me out. If I had the money, my Kimber would only eat cor-bon. Yum.

Edit; I guess if this DRT was as good as it tells us it is, we would all be on it.

Last edited:

Landose_theghost

Drt=junk!!!!

Tried sum out in .40, ran 50 rounds thru my Beretta 90-2. 6 Jammed(maybe the cold, but I doubt it),7 were FTF's, and 2 had no bullets in them at all(The actual bullets were on the bottom of the box), so I got two expensive brass casings. That and the bullets themselves looked like they had been sitting in a damp basement for a few years. Aside from the few problems,the ones that made it thru the barrel did do massive damage to a pork shoulder I used to shoot @, as well as obliterating a few watermelons and Jello filled milk jugs :D. Long story short, this is NOT self defense ammo,I can think of a few better ways to burn $33. It's a damn shame because I had high hopes for this round, but alas it did not live up to my expectations. DRT, eh...more like DIRT

-Landose-

Last edited:

apierce918

ETA never heard of it. Couldnt research it due to being at work and their network restrictions and timeouts prevented me from finishing my statement.

Witnessed ballistic gel testing of the "new" federal HST round in 9mm, .45 and .40. Only a minute measurable distance between the three rounds. Good expansion of the round. The price is right at around $25 for a box of 50 (at Somar's in Muskego).

Rumor is, from a Sheriff's armorer, that Federal will be discontinueing all other lines of LE munnitions and fully backing the HST.

Use the highest quality round you can afford, that groups well for your weapon and shooting style.

I also use HST. Very accurate, great expansion and weight retention

PT111

All the talk about which ammo to use makes me think about the Tucson shooting. I assume but have not heard either way that he used WWB bought from Wal-Mart. He fired around 30 rounds. The result was 6 dead and 14 injured, several seriously. Some victims were hit more than once. I know it is not something polite to bring up but I consider that a pretty good measure of effectiveness for that type bullet. Maybe we should be thankful that he wasn't using black talons.