• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Word of Advice for Air Travelers...from Personal Experience

Don Barnett

The other day I had to fly to Orlando for one night and didn't want to check any luggage on the airline. Not being a frequent flyer, I grabbed a bag from the basement store room that would be just the right size for one change of clothes and small enough to qualify for carry on.

Unfortunately, the bag I grabbed was one I had previously used as a Range-Gear Bag and a 9mm round had settled underneath a hard stiffing flap at the bottom.

The bag made it through the screening at Baltimore with no problem, but the TSA Agents at Orlando were a bit more alert.

To make a long story short, they do NOT have a sense of humor about that and if I had not arrived early enough I would probably have missed my flight. The apparent protocol is to report the incident to a "duty" FBI agent who then has to run a background check.

It took about twenty five minutes to get straightened out and for the FBI Agent to then "scold" me like a child, but that is Orlando; it may take longer at other air terminals.

mark-in-texas

"It took about twenty five minutes to get straightened out and for the FBI Agent to then "scold" me like a child"

Am I under arrest or being detained?? No.. Bye...

I've had LEOs try to do the finger wag, scold before and I don't stand for it! If you havn't broken any law or endangered anyone, they have no authority over you; say goodbye and walk!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I would have figured there was a criminal penalty to bringing ammunition on an aircraft in way that is not provided for in regulations. I'm wondering if the "scolding" wasn't a gesture of grace.

eye95

"It took about twenty five minutes to get straightened out and for the FBI Agent to then "scold" me like a child"

Am I under arrest or being detained?? No.. Bye...

I've had LEOs try to do the finger wag, scold before and I don't stand for it! If you havn't broken any law or endangered anyone, they have no authority over you; say goodbye and walk!

Considering that he could have been detained, or even arrested, taking the finger-wagging is wise. He did break the law.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
The other day I had to fly to Orlando for one night and didn't want to check any luggage on the airline. Not being a frequent flyer, I grabbed a bag from the basement store room that would be just the right size for one change of clothes and small enough to qualify for carry on.

Unfortunately, the bag I grabbed was one I had previously used as a Range-Gear Bag and a 9mm round had settled underneath a hard stiffing flap at the bottom.

The bag made it through the screening at Baltimore with no problem, but the TSA Agents at Orlando were a bit more alert.

To make a long story short, they do NOT have a sense of humor about that and if I had not arrived early enough I would probably have missed my flight. The apparent protocol is to report the incident to a "duty" FBI agent who then has to run a background check.

It took about twenty five minutes to get straightened out and for the FBI Agent to then "scold" me like a child, but that is Orlando; it may take longer at other air terminals.

I had a similar thing happen -- in my case, I had a .380 round in my purse. Probably had unloaded at a gun show or range, put the magazine and the chamber round in my purse, and when I reloaded, missed a round. Or it could have been other circumstances -- that's not important.

The important thing was that I went through security at DCA (Washington-Reagan) and again at DEN (Denver) after visiting with my sister during a layover. I found the round myself on arrival at my destination.

I did NOT take the round on the return trip <grin>.

Isn't TSA wonderful? At least you and I brought a single round, inadvertently. TSA has missed others with more sinister intentions and with more than one round.

eye95

Despite having hassled millions of law-abiding citizens, the TSA screeners have not stopped one single terrorist.

However, based on this thread, we can conclude that they successfully stop one out of every three rounds that folks inadvertently bring through security.

Don Barnett

In Retrospect

In retrospect, I was dealing with Homeland Security and not a usual Police encounter. They had my boarding pass and Drivers License.

True, I was NOT under arrest and my Miranda Rights were not read to me. The TSA screener, who was watching my bag, and me, told me that off-duty LEO's do this type of thing all the time.

To make this incident a "Crime", they would have had to prove "intent", which clearly was not there. I showed the Officer my Range membership cards to lend credence to my story.

The Orlando Police Officer who was acting "in persona" for the duty FBI agent, kept walking away leaving me "unguarded"; thus it became obvious that they were going to "scold" me and try to scare me into thinking I had committed the "crime of the century".

At one point I told my brother: "They are going to harass me a bit more and then let me go, otherwise I would have been handcuffed and taken to another room."

Sure enough...that is what happened.

The Orlando Police Officer told me that he had been on this shift for 14 hours, was about to get off, and nothing had happened until I got there. I said: "So now you have to file a bunch of paperwork! Sorry about that!"

I will certainly check my luggage bag THOROUGHLY before I ever use it for air travel again!

PavePusher

Heh. I recently flew from Tucson to Salt Lake via Denver, forgot to declare my Hi-Point in my suitcase (I'd been up for approx. 48 hours). Oops.

Had no issues at all. So much for "security".

eye95

rugerdon: What you did was surely not a crime, but the law was broken. Criminal intent would be near impossible to prove. Still, the officers had PC of a crime and could have detained or arrested you.

So, my advice to the other poster that he should cheerfully accept a finger-wagging in such a situation still applies. That particular bear should not be poked. He won't get into one whit of trouble for eating you alive.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Despite having hassled millions of law-abiding citizens, the TSA screeners have not stopped one single terrorist.

However, based on this thread, we can conclude that they successfully stop one out of every three rounds that folks inadvertently bring through security.

LOL--- VERY small sample size= great potential for NON-ACCURATE results.... but still LOL.

CenTex

Considering that he could have been detained, or even arrested, taking the finger-wagging is wise. He did break the law.
I am beginning to detest this nation and the ever-increasing police state in which we are finding ourselves. I am convinced that one day, sooner or later, we will lose "ALL" our rights...as well as our gun rights to own and bear.

If we let it continue, every darn thing we do will be against the law. Check my signature.

In fact, in my opinion, masquerading around like a gargantuan baboon should be against somebody's law. :banana:

Last edited:

Daddyo

Several weeks ago, I declined the x-ray scan and opted for the "TSA Massage". As the guy was scanning his gloves for explosive residue, I mentioned that I was really glad I had decided no to go to the range before catching my flight. The dude looked first alarmed, then confused, then I could see the realization come over his face that a perfectly legal activity could have prevented me from passing security.

Dreamer

You should be GLAD they didn't find that live round at BWI. We'd probably be reading your obituary, rather than a report of you being hassled in Orlando...

david.ross

This is exactly the reason I've a "clean bag" for which NO type of firearms related items are allowed. I use a black duty bag for travel which also allows maximum capacity for overhead storage use.

Get your own "clean bag," you won't have an incident like yours again unless you have someone else monkey around with your bag.

Also make sure before you fly to empty everything, search your bag by hand and inspection.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
This is just one of the many reasons I absolutely refuse to fly on a commercial airline anymore.

All that crap for a single round of ammunition? I think airports should all have a sign that clearly states "This is a constitution free zone" meaning you no longer have any rights, and the TSA can do whatever they please with zero recourse. The pedophiles can continue to molest 8 yr old girls, homosexual men can freely grope the men they find attractive, etc etc.

A few years back, I got hauled off to a private room and everything was searched several times and I was accused of having all sorts of explosives contact, and that I was testing their detection systems, etc etc etc.

How or why did this happen? They had a "Sniffer" apparatus at the airport. They rubbed my luggage with a cloth patch, and stuck it into a machine that analyzed the dust it picked up.
Apparently, my bags and my clothes had explosives residue on them from the handloading I do for my various rifles.

Anyplace within the US I may need to go, I am sure I could get there faster by driving anyway, the nearest international airport is in excess of 4 hours anyways.
Maybe I should just get my medical and pilots license re certified and rent a damn plane if I ever need to fly again