Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: glock 23 whats your thoughts?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Goshen, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    69

    glock 23 whats your thoughts?

    So taxes are going to be comeing in...and I want/need another toy, glock 23 is jumping out at me, whats your thoughts? Who uses or has used one? How does it do? Also who had the Lone-Wolf 9mm conversion? How does that do? I just want it for cheeper shooting, but will carry 40 cal. Let me know, thanks for the help.
    edit- 23 or 23c?
    Last edited by greatsimon; 01-21-2011 at 08:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio, ,
    Posts
    155
    I had the 19 & 23 and liked both, could use the same holster for both etc.

    As long as you shoot new factory loaded jacketed bullets you should be fine.

    You probably know this but reloaded brass is not good for Glocks since the case isn't fully supported and lead bullets fill the rifleing and cause back pressure.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Tx
    Posts
    326
    My carry gun is a G23! I shoot a G35 in IDPA competition; carry one of it's 16 rnd mags on the opposite hip as a counterbalance. I also have a 357 Sig conversion barrel for the 23; same mags. I've NEVER had a problem shooting reloads. 40SW brass has a pretty substantial head thickness as part of it's design compaired to 9mm or 45ACP. You CAN use lead bullets IF there're made of hard enough alloy and not loaded to +P velocities.
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Goshen, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    69
    I have a baby glock, and only shoot new ammo for the back pressure reason, I am a big fan of .45 but the prices kill me at the range. thanks for the tips/thoughts and please keep them comeing. @ mark in texas, where did you get your .357 barrel? I like the idea of a versitality of the G23 and this is a big seller for me.
    Last edited by greatsimon; 01-22-2011 at 09:03 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Mas49.56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    309
    The Glock23 is my primary carry gun. Works every time and I have no complaints. I have many Glocks and had a G23C at one time. I don't think the 23C would be my first choice for a carry weapon. If you have someone hold a paper plate above the barrel ports when firing, you will see that some nasty bits of high velocity metal and unburnt powder come out of there. Some self defense encounters can be a wrestling match, and I would not want those ports tilted anywhere near my eyes. But if you really want one, buy a drop in unported barrel for carry and problem solved.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Tx
    Posts
    326
    @ mark in texas, where did you get your .357 barrel? I like the idea of a versitality of the G23 and this is a big seller for me

    I got mine a long time ago from Federal Arms (now out of business I think) but they are still available from Lone Wolf Distributors. The only problem with 357Sig from that shot of a barrel is muzzle blast. Try some low light practice and you'll see!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    100
    I bought a Glock 23C back in October 2010. It is my first handgun and I like it. I don't think they made the C model for the 4th generation though so keep that in mind. I've been to the range with it 4 times each shooting around 100 rounds, on avg, I get one jam so that's about a 1% chance that my firearm jams. Nothing works perfect, but it's easy to clean and maintain, also I like the all black look.

    Ammo isn't all that bad, I get mine at walmart, 100 rounds for about $32 after taxes but that's for full metal jacket bullets. For personal defense I use hallow points which are pretty expensive but how often would I use that ammo in 'real' life. Never hopefully.

    Basically you can't go wrong with a Glock, however they are pretty pricey, mine cost around $600 but I didn't really shop around and I'm sure someone can find it cheaper such as the internet and just have it shipped to a gun dealer with a license. In closing I am happy with my firearm and looking at getting a semi-automatic rifle, I don't hunt or anything but looking at it for just range shooting... but this won't be for awhile.

  8. #8
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    I have two G23's, both of which are gen 3 models and one of them is my primary carry gun for both open and concealed carry. An excellent .40S&W platform, the Glock 23 is considered to be, by a well known writer in the gun culture, the best combat sidearm you can carry.

    My primary carry G23 came from the factory with night sights, the extended slide stop, and a 5 pound trigger (yes 5, not 5.5 pound). I have since installed a smooth faced trigger, the Glock 3.5 connector (part #00135 from GlockParts), and a 6 pound trigger spring from GlockParts. This results in approximately a 4 1/2 pound trigger and a nice break and feel.

    I have a number of guns in my carry stable, but this particular G23 is my primary carry and home defensive arm.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  9. #9
    Regular Member okiephlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    420

    Not trying ot hijack the op, but wanted to address this issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    I bought a Glock 23C back in October 2010. It is my first handgun and I like it. I don't think they made the C model for the 4th generation though so keep that in mind. I've been to the range with it 4 times each shooting around 100 rounds, on avg, I get one jam so that's about a 1% chance that my firearm jams. Nothing works perfect, but it's easy to clean and maintain, also I like the all black look.

    Ammo isn't all that bad, I get mine at walmart, 100 rounds for about $32 after taxes but that's for full metal jacket bullets. For personal defense I use hallow points which are pretty expensive but how often would I use that ammo in 'real' life. Never hopefully.

    Basically you can't go wrong with a Glock, however they are pretty pricey, mine cost around $600 but I didn't really shop around and I'm sure someone can find it cheaper such as the internet and just have it shipped to a gun dealer with a license. In closing I am happy with my firearm and looking at getting a semi-automatic rifle, I don't hunt or anything but looking at it for just range shooting... but this won't be for awhile.
    If you are getting one jam out of 100, then something is wrong with you or your glock. I have a G23 that has has about 800 rounds through it, 200 at a time, and have never had a jam. I Militec'd it when it was new and went 400 rounds without cleaning of any kind. I used to have a G27 that had thousands of rounds through it and only had 2 jams. Both of those were my fault for not holding properly.

  10. #10
    Regular Member okiephlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    420
    I have carried a G27 for years and the move up to the 23 was the best thing I did for carry. The holster I used for the 27 also worked for the 23. My 27 had grip extenders, so the overall height is the same as the 23. It works well in concealed mode when required by law and open mode when allowed.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by oklaccer View Post
    If you are getting one jam out of 100, then something is wrong with you or your glock. I have a G23 that has has about 800 rounds through it, 200 at a time, and have never had a jam. I Militec'd it when it was new and went 400 rounds without cleaning of any kind. I used to have a G27 that had thousands of rounds through it and only had 2 jams. Both of those were my fault for not holding properly.
    What would you suggest I do than, I bought it in October so it isn't that old and in total prob. put 500 rounds out of it. Last time I went to the range which was yesterday, I shot a round and the shell casing didn't eject and got stuck in the barrel and was a pain to get it out... which would suck if my life was on the line...

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    I'm not a Glock lover at all.
    Until a month ago I never even considered ballistic tupperware.
    I own a G31 now.

    My G31 is now my favorite gun (same frame as 17/22, but in .357 sig). It sounds like a rifle. Ha! The handle won't rust like my 1911s. It's such a basic function with none of the problems. I feel like such a fool for being a gun snob and not buying one 15 years ago.

    Look for them in odd calibers, used. I got a heckuva deal on my G31 because nobody knows what a .357 sig is. Sat on the gun shop shelf for 6 months, they were happy to move it at a deep discount. I can get a G17 or G22 slide and just pop it on. Complete slides are all over gunbroker, no FFL needed since it's just a slide, not a gun. It's kinda like a Contender....

    I re-iterate; I wish I bought mine 15 years ago. Do it!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    st.joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    187
    I just bought my first glock it is the 23 gen 4,its brand new came with three 13 round mags.I love this weapon I bought a serpa holster to carry it in,loaded it with remington golden saber 180 gran brass jacketed hollow points.don't know how good there are but when I bought the weapon he gave me a box of ammo so that what I got .now my new glock is my carry weapon sorry to say but I'm going to retire my 1911 for a while.

  14. #14
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    What would you suggest I do than, I bought it in October so it isn't that old and in total prob. put 500 rounds out of it. Last time I went to the range which was yesterday, I shot a round and the shell casing didn't eject and got stuck in the barrel and was a pain to get it out... which would suck if my life was on the line...
    What ammunition were you using when this happened? Were the cases aluminum, brass, or nickel? I have shot a number of different loads out of my primary carry 3G G23 and did experience a stove pipe when it was brand new. I know what caused that and have not had any other problems with it of any kind.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Duncan, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    67
    I was also thinking of picking up a glock 23 this week when my taxes come in so i have a second handgun. Right now i carry a taurus 24/7 .45.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Goshen, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    69
    @mm_45 the 24/7 was my first, wanted the OSS model but didnt have the extra cash at the time. Went to the store today and looked at the g23 today, and i think ill be making a trip back to get it very soon.
    why do school shootings happen.... for the same reason they never happen at a shooting range.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    What ammunition were you using when this happened? Were the cases aluminum, brass, or nickel? I have shot a number of different loads out of my primary carry 3G G23 and did experience a stove pipe when it was brand new. I know what caused that and have not had any other problems with it of any kind.
    For practice ammo I use Winchester 40 S&W 165GR FMJ bought at Walmart.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Duncan, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by greatsimon View Post
    @mm_45 the 24/7 was my first, wanted the OSS model but didnt have the extra cash at the time. Went to the store today and looked at the g23 today, and i think ill be making a trip back to get it very soon.
    Yeah i cant wait to get my g23 just wish my tax money would get here soon.

  19. #19
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    For practice ammo I use Winchester 40 S&W 165GR FMJ bought at Walmart.
    I believe that is what is commonly referred to as "white box" which I have also used quite a few times. This ammo uses brass cases and you should never have had a failure to extract with this ammo. Disassemble the gun and remove the barrel. Insert a round into the breach and check for smoothness of insertion and extraction. If you have any first cases laying around from this product, try doing this with one of them (also try a fired case that came with your gun).

    If your gun is failing to extract fired cases, that is a serious problem and you should consider returning it for service to Glock. I don't believe I have ever seen this before with a Glock pistol. The most common failure is stove piping or failures to chamber a new round. Most always this is due to limp wristing, but can also be caused by resting the base of the grip on a support when fired. This compresses the magazine further up into its well and can cause failures. This is what happened with my primary carry 3G G23 when it was new. I was familiarizing myself with the gun's shooting ability at 25 yards from a rest and did this. Once I corrected my hold, it never happened again.

    Let us know how it goes for you with your new Glock. The one thing these guns are famous for is their unshaking reliability. If yours has inherent problems, it needs to be addressed.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I believe that is what is commonly referred to as "white box" which I have also used quite a few times. This ammo uses brass cases and you should never have had a failure to extract with this ammo. Disassemble the gun and remove the barrel. Insert a round into the breach and check for smoothness of insertion and extraction. If you have any first cases laying around from this product, try doing this with one of them (also try a fired case that came with your gun).

    If your gun is failing to extract fired cases, that is a serious problem and you should consider returning it for service to Glock. I don't believe I have ever seen this before with a Glock pistol. The most common failure is stove piping or failures to chamber a new round. Most always this is due to limp wristing, but can also be caused by resting the base of the grip on a support when fired. This compresses the magazine further up into its well and can cause failures. This is what happened with my primary carry 3G G23 when it was new. I was familiarizing myself with the gun's shooting ability at 25 yards from a rest and did this. Once I corrected my hold, it never happened again.

    Let us know how it goes for you with your new Glock. The one thing these guns are famous for is their unshaking reliability. If yours has inherent problems, it needs to be addressed.
    You know I do that actually, I am a right handed shooter (like most) and I put my left hand under the magazine palm facing up for better grip, guess I should change my shooting style, next time I go to the range I will try that. As for the other issue, you were right, it's the white box ammo...lol Anyways I was wondering if there is a Glock armour around colorado springs that you know of so that maybe i can have him take a look at my pistol and make everything is alright with it. If I decide to return it to Glock how does that whole process go, how long does it take, is it free?

    I went with Glock because I read everywhere that it's rep. is unmatched, nothing really neg. I've read so far that's why I went with Glock.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    You know I do that actually, I am a right handed shooter (like most) and I put my left hand under the magazine palm facing up for better grip, guess I should change my shooting style, next time I go to the range I will try that. As for the other issue, you were right, it's the white box ammo...lol Anyways I was wondering if there is a Glock armour around colorado springs that you know of so that maybe i can have him take a look at my pistol and make everything is alright with it. If I decide to return it to Glock how does that whole process go, how long does it take, is it free?

    I went with Glock because I read everywhere that it's rep. is unmatched, nothing really neg. I've read so far that's why I went with Glock.

    Go here. I found my gunsmith from this site.
    http://gunsmiths.com/listings.php
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  22. #22
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    You know I do that actually, I am a right handed shooter (like most) and I put my left hand under the magazine palm facing up for better grip, guess I should change my shooting style, next time I go to the range I will try that. As for the other issue, you were right, it's the white box ammo...lol Anyways I was wondering if there is a Glock armour around colorado springs that you know of so that maybe i can have him take a look at my pistol and make everything is alright with it. If I decide to return it to Glock how does that whole process go, how long does it take, is it free?

    I went with Glock because I read everywhere that it's rep. is unmatched, nothing really neg. I've read so far that's why I went with Glock.
    Yep, you don't want to put your support hand under the bottom of the grip frame because that can force the magazine up a little into the well and cause stove pipes and I imagine, failures to eject. I was at the range where I am a member last fall with a few friends I took there to see the place. Both are familiar shooters, but I did notice that when I let the girl fire my G23, she used this hold and had one stove pipe. I never corrected her hold but I will next time we go.

    Your support hand is suppose to wrap around your shooting hand. And do NOT put your support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard. This is a common mistake with new Glock owners and will most always result in shots going to the left.

    Wrong hold:
    http://www.ehow.com/video_2358151_pr...-shooting.html

    Correct hold:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2856867071363#

    Fun video(s):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3k...e=more_related


    The Fun videos are with Hickok45 who is an avid Glock supporter and shooter. I strongly advise you to peruse a number of his videos for both enjoyment and the knowledge you will gain.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    100
    @Southernboy

    Thanks for the links, I have been checking out Hickok45 you tube videos and perhaps I have bad technique that needs to be changed when I shoot therefore I will practice more and see if the firearm still misfires...

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678
    Nothing really to add.
    I have a G23C, with a non-C barrel, a .357sig barrel, and a 9mm barrel.
    It is 99.9999% reliable. If there is a malfunction, I can always directly link it to something that I have done.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Duncan, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    67
    I picked up my G23 tuesday now i gotta renew my gun range membership so i can go shoot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •