• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

glock 23 whats your thoughts?

zack991

You know I do that actually, I am a right handed shooter (like most) and I put my left hand under the magazine palm facing up for better grip, guess I should change my shooting style, next time I go to the range I will try that. As for the other issue, you were right, it's the white box ammo...lol Anyways I was wondering if there is a Glock armour around colorado springs that you know of so that maybe i can have him take a look at my pistol and make everything is alright with it. If I decide to return it to Glock how does that whole process go, how long does it take, is it free?

I went with Glock because I read everywhere that it's rep. is unmatched, nothing really neg. I've read so far that's why I went with Glock.

Go here. I found my gunsmith from this site.
http://gunsmiths.com/listings.php

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
You know I do that actually, I am a right handed shooter (like most) and I put my left hand under the magazine palm facing up for better grip, guess I should change my shooting style, next time I go to the range I will try that. As for the other issue, you were right, it's the white box ammo...lol Anyways I was wondering if there is a Glock armour around colorado springs that you know of so that maybe i can have him take a look at my pistol and make everything is alright with it. If I decide to return it to Glock how does that whole process go, how long does it take, is it free?

I went with Glock because I read everywhere that it's rep. is unmatched, nothing really neg. I've read so far that's why I went with Glock.

Yep, you don't want to put your support hand under the bottom of the grip frame because that can force the magazine up a little into the well and cause stove pipes and I imagine, failures to eject. I was at the range where I am a member last fall with a few friends I took there to see the place. Both are familiar shooters, but I did notice that when I let the girl fire my G23, she used this hold and had one stove pipe. I never corrected her hold but I will next time we go.

Your support hand is suppose to wrap around your shooting hand. And do NOT put your support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard. This is a common mistake with new Glock owners and will most always result in shots going to the left.

Wrong hold:
http://www.ehow.com/video_2358151_properly-grip-handgun-target-shooting.html

Correct hold:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363#

Fun video(s):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4&feature=more_related

The Fun videos are with Hickok45 who is an avid Glock supporter and shooter. I strongly advise you to peruse a number of his videos for both enjoyment and the knowledge you will gain.

strife1013

@Southernboy

Thanks for the links, I have been checking out Hickok45 you tube videos and perhaps I have bad technique that needs to be changed when I shoot therefore I will practice more and see if the firearm still misfires...

JDriver1.8t

Nothing really to add.
I have a G23C, with a non-C barrel, a .357sig barrel, and a 9mm barrel.
It is 99.9999% reliable. If there is a malfunction, I can always directly link it to something that I have done.

50horseplay

Simon, this was a great topic. It was very helpful. Everyone, thank you for your info and feedback to his question. This post cleared up alot of my questions regarding the G23. I too am looking at purchasing one and after the gun show today and reading this, I am convinced. My only question that I do have, what is the difference between the g23 and the g23c?

MM_45

Simon, this was a great topic. It was very helpful. Everyone, thank you for your info and feedback to his question. This post cleared up alot of my questions regarding the G23. I too am looking at purchasing one and after the gun show today and reading this, I am convinced. My only question that I do have, what is the difference between the g23 and the g23c?

The g23c has a ported barrel.

JDriver1.8t

There is a lot of internet rumor on this topic, mostly from people who read about what other people who haven't experienced it read about other people etc...

I have over 15k rounds through my 23c in all sorts of conditions and configurations.

The ported barrel allows for faster follow up shots, reduced recoil, and reduced muzzle flip.
If you are doing single shots that are 1+ seconds apart, you will never notice the difference and the 'c' model will be a waste for you. When shooting controlled pairs and triples, the split times are shorter, I am faster back on target, and I am more accurate with my 'c' model than without.
I would say that as far as recoil goes, it takes a 23c down to about a 9mm with hot loads when doing rapid shots.
The .40 flip is reduced as well.
For this reason, many competition shooters at ports or a compensator to their gun.

Now to the internet myths/negatives.
You will be blinded by the flash at night.
You will be hit by flying debris from the port.
You will catch yourself on fire when in retention.
You won't be able to see your sight.
It is a lot dirtier.

Now for the truth.
The flash from the ports is present, but it will not blind you. The amount of port flame depends on your ammo selection, just as muzzle flash does. The flash from a snub revolver is way worse. It is not long or intense enough to greatly disturb your night vision. I have done quite a bit of low light shooting.
Some debris can come from a port. This would only affect you when firing from retention, and happens very infrequently. Most common is unburned powder, followed by bullet jacket pieces (which shouldn't happen with quality ammo).
The flames will not burn clothing or person. I would not recommend holding your hand directly over the port regardless.
The front sight does get dirty. You will loose the front dot. Then you just have to deal with a post and notch site. Center the post, level the top, bang.
The gun does get a little dirtier in the slide and lower. It takes a whole extra 2 minutes to clean.

If I have left anything out, or you have any more questions, ask away.

50horseplay

There is a lot of internet rumor on this topic, mostly from people who read about what other people who haven't experienced it read about other people etc...

I have over 15k rounds through my 23c in all sorts of conditions and configurations.

The ported barrel allows for faster follow up shots, reduced recoil, and reduced muzzle flip.
If you are doing single shots that are 1+ seconds apart, you will never notice the difference and the 'c' model will be a waste for you. When shooting controlled pairs and triples, the split times are shorter, I am faster back on target, and I am more accurate with my 'c' model than without.
I would say that as far as recoil goes, it takes a 23c down to about a 9mm with hot loads when doing rapid shots.
The .40 flip is reduced as well.
For this reason, many competition shooters at ports or a compensator to their gun.

Now to the internet myths/negatives.
You will be blinded by the flash at night.
You will be hit by flying debris from the port.
You will catch yourself on fire when in retention.
You won't be able to see your sight.
It is a lot dirtier.

Now for the truth.
The flash from the ports is present, but it will not blind you. The amount of port flame depends on your ammo selection, just as muzzle flash does. The flash from a snub revolver is way worse. It is not long or intense enough to greatly disturb your night vision. I have done quite a bit of low light shooting.
Some debris can come from a port. This would only affect you when firing from retention, and happens very infrequently. Most common is unburned powder, followed by bullet jacket pieces (which shouldn't happen with quality ammo).
The flames will not burn clothing or person. I would not recommend holding your hand directly over the port regardless.
The front sight does get dirty. You will loose the front dot. Then you just have to deal with a post and notch site. Center the post, level the top, bang.
The gun does get a little dirtier in the slide and lower. It takes a whole extra 2 minutes to clean.

If I have left anything out, or you have any more questions, ask away.

That seemed pretty informative....I think. Im rather new to all of this but still diving in head first. (I seem to learn more that way)

Nevada carrier

can you dispel the myth that in order to be competent at rapid follow up shots you MUST use a compensator? The only gun in my arsenal that I can't get fast follow ups with is my .380, but I don't envision shooting farther than about 5 meters away with that one. None of my pistols are compensated.

Last edited:

matt2636

I had the 19 & 23 and liked both, could use the same holster for both etc.

As long as you shoot new factory loaded jacketed bullets you should be fine.

You probably know this but reloaded brass is not good for Glocks since the case isn't fully supported and lead bullets fill the rifleing and cause back pressure.

i wouldnt really worry about reloads except DONT USE LEAD!! if you are loading by the book you aint getting the same pressure and factory ammo and normally you wouldnt load to the max specs of what the book says. even the max load in the book arnt really the max loads you can use. you can go higher but the numbers in the book are the safe ranges. if you stay within the middle or lower you should be good. get the Frontier bullets they dont foul up bad. actually i had a little copper fouling in may barrel and shot the Frontier bullets and it actually cleaned up the fouling. they make them a little different.