• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

real frickin close to a school ....

slothman

I am super close to a school....there is a park CONNECTED with the school. If my house is 999 ft away from the PARK which is CONNECTED to the school, am I screwed? And how exactly do they count the feet. As in, are they measuring the fastest possible route in the amount of feet?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If you have a permit to carry a firearm issued by your state then unless your state has its own restrictions, the 1000' rule does not apply to you. You don't even have to have your permit on your person if you are OC'ing and may do so legally without one.

See U.S. Code 18, 922 for the particulars and review your state's laws regarding this matter.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am super close to a school....there is a park CONNECTED with the school. If my house is 999 ft away from the PARK which is CONNECTED to the school, am I screwed? And how exactly do they count the feet. As in, are they measuring the fastest possible route in the amount of feet?

A park is "connected" to a school? What does that mean?

Seriously slothman if you want specific answers or where to find them, you need to give basic information i.e city or county and state. In this case, whether you have a concealed carry permit is part of the equation.

Absenting that information, no one can really help you except with generalities.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The school is the part that concerns you. Is the park a park or is it part of the school? If you're 999 feet away from the edge of the school property (in a straight line as the crow flies) and you are in possession of a firearm that isn't in a fully-enclosed, locked container then you are violating the law.