• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More goodies from AZCDL!

Dahwg

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/sb1201p.htm

From what I can see, this does the following:

1) Redefines carry in a public establishment or public event putting a large list of requirements on the establishment or event before they can prohibit you from carrying.

2) Remove the ridiculous (ND waiting to happen) restriction on having to unload a firearm possessed by an adult in a means of transportation on school grounds. This means I don't have to unload my firearm when I drop my kids off at school as long as I stay in the car. (a good start, but removal of the gun-free victim zone would be best).

3) Removes the ability of local government to enact ordinances relating to the forfeiture of a firearm.

Concerning the public establishment requirements, it is quite a long list and ALL of the requirements must be met before they can bar carry. It is quite a strong law and another great step forward toward securing our God-given rights in the great state of Arizona. The Brady bunch is not gonna be happy about this. Hopefully we can score a ZERO next year.

azcdlfred

SB 1201
From what I can see, this does the following:

1) Redefines carry in a public establishment or public event putting a large list of requirements on the establishment or event before they can prohibit you from carrying.

2) Remove the ridiculous (ND waiting to happen) restriction on having to unload a firearm possessed by an adult in a means of transportation on school grounds. This means I don't have to unload my firearm when I drop my kids off at school as long as I stay in the car. (a good start, but removal of the gun-free victim zone would be best).

3) Removes the ability of local government to enact ordinances relating to the forfeiture of a firearm.

Concerning the public establishment requirements, it is quite a long list and ALL of the requirements must be met before they can bar carry. It is quite a strong law and another great step forward toward securing our God-given rights in the great state of Arizona. The Brady bunch is not gonna be happy about this. Hopefully we can score a ZERO next year.
Thanks Dahwg! I've been waiting for that one to drop. You got the word out before my cohorts at the Capitol alerted me. Looks like I'll be working on another Alert. That's another one we have been working on for months. Lots of co-sponsors including the Senate leadership.

You pretty much nailed it. The main thrust is saying that if a public (gov't) building wants to ban guns, they have to guarantee (metal detectors, guards, etc.) that no one is capable of entering with a gun. Agencies are screaming about "unfunded mandates" and our response has been "How much does it cost to take down a No Firearms sign?"

Passage of this, or any other bill, depends on much Arizona's gun owners are willing to get invovled.

Fred

Last edited:

greatsimon

I agree, if there is a sign stating no one can carry, then it is just a defenceless persons sign and the bad guy is going to carry anyways, the only place a bad guy wont carry is a place he knows is well defended.