• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Anti-Gun Mentality

Whitney

I read an article today regarding the mentality of gun prohibitionists and wanted to share it.

Raging Against Self Defense:
A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

By Sarah Thompson, M.D.
righter@therighter.com

"You don't need to have a gun; the police will protect you."

"If people carry guns, there will be murders over parking spaces and neighborhood basketball games."

"I'm a pacifist. Enlightened, spiritually aware people shouldn't own guns."

"I'd rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."

How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors? Why do people cling so tightly to these beliefs, in the face of incontrovertible evidence that they are wrong? Why do they get so furiously angry when gun owners point out that their arguments are factually and logically incorrect?

I do not agree with everything in this article but it was very enlightening. Perhaps more barbeque's are the way to get there.

~Whitney

Tomas

I don't agree with the entire article, either, but I'm familiar with enough psychology to understand how the stated opinions were derived and to agree that many are plausible.

Overall a good read (if rather long) that may help to open some understandings many of us do not have of the gun control or anti-gun types.

Thanks!

Aryk45XD

Thanks for the good read.

It definitely helps me understand how some people may come to have the feelings they do. Not necessarily with guns, but other actions and thought processes also. Though it clearly may not be 100%, it is certainly a good read.