• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Pittsburgh

Tdragon412

hello everyone I am new to the forum. I'm so glad I found this site. I have had a cc permit for years and never took the time to know my right to carry openly here. My question is, as I was touring the site and viewing the videos I was wondering is Pittsburgh like California where the gun and the magazine has to be unloaded to OC or can we have the gun loaded while we OC.? Need to know because I plan on starting my journey in the OC campaign.....

Tdragon412

Thank you I plan on starting to invoke my right to carry openly. this is great..!!!! I don't understand why they tell you' you have to have a permit to carry a firearm concealed but we yet have the right without a permit to carry in the open.!!! It sounds like a way to keep us registered and paying the local government to be able to excercise our constitutional rights

Yarddawg

Thank you I plan on starting to invoke my right to carry openly. this is great..!!!! I don't understand why they tell you' you have to have a permit to carry a firearm concealed but we yet have the right without a permit to carry in the open.!!! It sounds like a way to keep us registered and paying the local government to be able to excercise our constitutional rights

It's called the 2nd amendment. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

I don't understand how some states get away with forcing citizens to register to carry openly. :confused:

emsjeep

You may also want to check in over at PAFOA.org and PAopencarry.org, but you will find some of the same people here too.

debleigh

debleigh

Hi td I live in Beaver Falls PA to OC in Pittsburgh your gun can be loaded. Cali is the only state that I know of that requires you to OC unloaded.

hi the last gunfighter, are we allowed to carry open a handgun in the city of beaver falls as in downtown. I walk my dog regularly and have already been attacked by a pit bull once, most all people do not have their pets on leashes and when asked to control their dogs they become downright uncontrollable. I have had it, im tired of these people who care about nothing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
hi the last gunfighter, are we allowed to carry open a handgun in the city of beaver falls as in downtown. I walk my dog regularly and have already been attacked by a pit bull once, most all people do not have their pets on leashes and when asked to control their dogs they become downright uncontrollable. I have had it, im tired of these people who care about nothing.

Welcome to OCDO Debleigh.

In Pennsylvania a License To Carry Firearms is only required to conceal a firearm, or to carry a firearm in a motor vehicle. The law is silent on the act of openly carrying a firearm while not in a vehicle making it de-facto legal. It must be noted however that due to 18 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia) a License To Carry Firearms is required to carry a firearm in any manner on the streets or public property of a "City of the first class" (Philadelphia.)
http://www.pafoa.org/law

debleigh

hi gunfighter, what about the school, we have to be 1000 feet from it with a gun right, I bet j's news is under 2500 feet, i am just afraid to carry it open, but I want too, everyone says you are just asking for trouble. But i am tired of these people who think they can dictate where and what I do

the last gunfighter

as long as you are not on the same block during school hrs the LEOs don't say anything at least they haven't to me and I have stood right next to them and they didn't seem to care

USAR-VET

My brother use to live in Pittsburg. I visited quite often and have in fact talked to a few OC'rs out there. Was kinda surprised when I saw the 1st OC'r and had a great conversation with her. I believe her name was Sue and she was driving a Buick Grand National which actually caught my eye before I noticed her carrying!

iownagn-gs

G. National

My brother use to live in Pittsburg. I visited quite often and have in fact talked to a few OC'rs out there. Was kinda surprised when I saw the 1st OC'r and had a great conversation with her. I believe her name was Sue and she was driving a Buick Grand National which actually caught my eye before I noticed her carrying!

Two sites I enjoy tremendously; Open Carry and Turbobuicks. Grand National, now that is a vehicle!

Dreamer

<sarcasm ON>

You guys are obviously making all these stories up. According to the Philly police and the media in Philadelphia, OCing in a city will scare the citizenry to death, cause mass civil disruption, and BGs will snatch all your guns and shoot innocent people with them.

So it's quite obvious that, given the reliability of the words of Philly media and LE, the stories you have of OC in Pittsburg are false, fabricated, and completely fictional...

<sarcasm OFF>

debleigh

congrats deb welcome to the world of OC liberating isn't it
Hi Lastgunfighter, been carrying open, bought a new holster, getting used to it but still have a few questions. I have read up on laws in different states and when you read so much of it really doesn't answer what you want to know. Correct me if I am wrong; I am allowed to open carry while driving and my gun can be loaded right? I am still so concerned about the school. Am i able to drive by the school with my gun in my truck, must it be stored, must it be unloaded, can it be on my body, I just don't know, I read one place you cannot have any firearm within 5000 yards, another place said 1000 feet, also, what about if i cross into ohio, am i allowed to have my gun with me and loaded? I can't see where I can.

debleigh

<sarcasm ON>

You guys are obviously making all these stories up. According to the Philly police and the media in Philadelphia, OCing in a city will scare the citizenry to death, cause mass civil disruption, and BGs will snatch all your guns and shoot innocent people with them.

So it's quite obvious that, given the reliability of the words of Philly media and LE, the stories you have of OC in Pittsburg are false, fabricated, and completely fictional...

<sarcasm OFF>

sarcasm, philly is out of the loop as far as gun laws, they change from day to day and are allowed to do so

knight0334

to carry loaded in a car you MUST have a LTCF otherwise you unload and put in 2 separate places and as long as you are driving by the school it's ok

Just to merely have a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR) in a vehicle whether it is loaded or not you must have a LTCF or a license/permit from any other state. ..unless you are going to/from one of the exempted locations in 6106(b).

Separating the gun and ammo just to transport it for OC'n without a license is illegal. 6106(a) prohibits "firearms" being concealed, and being transported in a vehicle. The prohibition is directly against the gun regardless of it's loaded status.