• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non resident Pa license holder

bed92186

Hello from South Carolina. Question, Family and I are traveling to your state this coming summer. Area of Gettysburg. I have a SC CWP and recently obtained Non resident Pa license as well. Am I good to go open carry? or is open carry for residents only. The way I interpret your law is concealed = license. Open = no license.

david.ross

a license "from any other state" is required to open carry in any vehicle(not just motor vehicles).

An LTCF or reciprical license is required to carry, open or concealed, in a city of First Class(Philly).

Other than that, you don't need a license to open carry.

Non-res LTCF is what you have, you're good to go. Just make sure to read over all the laws.

In regards to how I carry and my identification:
Keep ID hidden on your person not in your wallet where an officer will not be able to find it.

PA is NOT a stop and identify state, they have no right to know your name.

Record everything

If they persist, tell them there will be civil consequences.

Most police know PA is an open carry state, though some are completely clueless or will harass you completely on their own personal belief on how the law should be.

emsjeep

a license "from any other state" is required to open carry in any vehicle(not just motor vehicles).

An LTCF or reciprical license is required to carry, open or concealed, in a city of First Class(Philly).

Other than that, you don't need a license to open carry.

Non-res LTCF is what you have, you're good to go. Just make sure to read over all the laws.

In regards to how I carry and my identification:
Keep ID hidden on your person not in your wallet where an officer will not be able to find it.

PA is NOT a stop and identify state, they have no right to know your name.

Record everything

If they persist, tell them there will be civil consequences.

Most police know PA is an open carry state, though some are completely clueless or will harass you completely on their own personal belief on how the law should be.

I have been out of PA for a little now, but I thought there was a duty to verbally ID if detained?

It shouldn't matter if your ID is in your wallet, being a closed container it is subject to search only based on probable cause whereas your pockets themselves and the open contents within are subject to a Terry search.

On a semantics aside: you cannot actually open carry in a vehicle. Carrying loaded in a vehicle is its own class of carry, vehicle carry, which, unlike "open carry" requires an LTCF and unlike concealed carry, is permissible with licenses issued by states that do not have reciprocal agreements with PA. The vehicle carry permission is also unqualified by the city of the first class language.

In regards to recording, PA is a two party consent state with exceptions that allow for some recording when there is no expectation of privacy. So while you can record the police, indiscriminate recording is not allowed.

david.ross

I have been out of PA for a little now, but I thought there was a duty to verbally ID if detained?

It shouldn't matter if your ID is in your wallet, being a closed container it is subject to search only based on probable cause whereas your pockets themselves and the open contents within are subject to a Terry search.

On a semantics aside: you cannot actually open carry in a vehicle. Carrying loaded in a vehicle is its own class of carry, vehicle carry, which, unlike "open carry" requires an LTCF and unlike concealed carry, is permissible with licenses issued by states that do not have reciprocal agreements with PA. The vehicle carry permission is also unqualified by the city of the first class language.

In regards to recording, PA is a two party consent state with exceptions that allow for some recording when there is no expectation of privacy. So while you can record the police, indiscriminate recording is not allowed.

Correct on all counts, and I did mention a license is required from ANY other state for carry in ANY vehicle(not just motor vehicles).

I'm not talking about recording indiscriminately, recording any police encounters will limit any confusion and the individual will have evidence should the need arise.

emsjeep

Correct on all counts, and I did mention a license is required from ANY other state for carry in ANY vehicle(not just motor vehicles).

I'm not talking about recording indiscriminately, recording any police encounters will limit any confusion and the individual will have evidence should the need arise.

I can't envision a scenario in which a visitor to PA records something they weren't supposed to and actually gets into trouble because of it, but its worth mentioning if only to counter some potential PO's, "Recording is two party consent is this state," comment.

Last edited: