• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking To Buy My First Handgun

Springfield XD Or PARA GI Expert?

• Springfield XD

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • PARA GI Expert

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other/I Don't Know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WantsToCarry

So im looking into my first handgun..(if you couldn't tell by the Thread Title..:lol: )

Now ive seen plenty of posts about "What should I Buy!?" And im not going to make one of them because all ive ever really read is "what fits you..." ect ect.

So ive pretty much narrowed it down (If i can even say narrowed..)
To 1.) Springfield XD 2.) 1911 frame
I leaning to a .45 Caliber. So both of these weapons fit that. And ive found both at a local gun shop of mine.
First- The XD
Springfield XD 45ACP New, 4inch Barrel, two 13 round mags, Also comes with XD gear. Hard Case, holster, mag pouch and mag loader.
Price: $519.99
Second-The 1911
PARA USA G.I. 45acp. Used Comes in original hard case with manual, lock, and two mags.
Price: $495

Both weapons are well in my price range. I do intend on buying a good holster ( I hear the XD's supplied holster isn't good for OC) for them once I purchase it, and Ive factored that some into the total price of the weapon (Plus ammo..)

SO! What do ya guys think? Ive held both a 1911 frame weapon and a XD 45 and they seem to fit nicely in the hand. Ive got some time till Taxes come in and im wishing with all my might its enough for my pistol. I just gotta choose!

FYI heres a picture of both, just for fun!

xd45-2.jpg

paragi-11.jpg

boyscout399

Para is going to be hard to find accessories for. XD has the advantage in my book. I'm not personally a big fan of the XD series of firearms. (They seemed very top heavy to me. Pretty high bore axis. I would look at the Smith and Wesson M&P .45 as an alternative.

WantsToCarry

and for a holster id recomend a blackhawk serpa holster. i have one and love it!!!

xd-over

I had plans to buy one no matter what i went with for a pistol. Its just the M&P Offers ambidextrous mag release and slide catch release. And I can shot a pistol left or right handed. And im not sure yet what my strong side is going to be. So personally, thats something that I love about the M&P

Gunslinger

Paras are now made in the US and have some good models. Older ones have been problematic. XD/XD-m are good guns, but not for me. Don't care for the grips or trigger pull. I would go with an M&P if you want a plastic pistol ove the SAs or Glocks. I prefer Browning designed for carry--1911s or Hi-Power, but bought a Taurus 24/7 OSS Special Ops (meaning night sights). They are cheaper than the Croat Springers or M&Ps and offer second shot striker capability. Longer barrel on the OSS, but others in the 24/7 line are more concealable. For well under $500, that would be my recommendation. Of those you mentioned, the M&P.

Superlite27

Wht's wrong with the XDm .45?

Have you checked one of those out? I think you'll be impressed.

Improved ergonomics = +1
Factory match barrel = +1
Increased capacity = +1
Loaded chamber indicator = +1

There's +4 over the XD right there.

WantsToCarry

i really like the fact of all you get with a brand new xd. tho the m&p just looks so great. i was invited by the gun store owner to see what he has and he said "I want you to take yourtime and pick up, hold, touch any gun you want. no pressure to buy, your welcome to take all the time you need" i think i just found my new gun shop!

crdonov

i really like the fact of all you get with a brand new xd. tho the m&p just looks so great. i was invited by the gun store owner to see what he has and he said "I want you to take yourtime and pick up, hold, touch any gun you want. no pressure to buy, your welcome to take all the time you need" i think i just found my new gun shop!

what gun shop is it???

xd-over

WantsToCarry

Alert: Shooting In Lewiston

According to Jamie Bolduc, after shots were fired at the home of her daughter who lives down the street, three white males chased a black male to her home where more shots were fired.

http://www.sunjournal.com/city/story/975300

Ya know, Ive been thinking about if i should get a handgun or not for self protection. This happened in the city where I work two jobs, and spend most of my time away from home. So this story only enforces my drive to own a weapon. Just thought Id share this here rather than start a whole new thread.

WantsToCarry

Went to the dealer today and held all three of the pretty guns. Held em alot. I think I made my choice, and its to go with the XD 45. I hear there is a really nice rubber slide on grip for them. The PARA has a reallly nice rubber grip that felt great in my hands. But I think im not ready for a 1911 platform weapon. I need to start 'smaller' and the XD is such a deal, I think Im gunna go with it.