• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF announcement monday re importing shotguns

amlevin

Maybe the rules on what we are allowed to hunt should be changed. I can think of some urban "pests" that would make a good hunting "sport". The Saiga might be one of the preferred shotguns.

If this ruling holds, perhaps the manufacturer will do the same as others have done in the past. They will merely "license" a US Manufacturer and thereby eliminating the requirement for "sporting purpose" in order to import.

This is how a lot of revolvers were sold in this country by foreign manufacturers after the import of 2" bbl'd revolvers were barred. Ditto on firearms like the Walther PPK.

oneeyeross

With as many people as there are out there manufacturing AK clones in the US, I can't imagine that it will be long before someone does start it up, licensed or just home-grown...

I think this is a silly rule...but what do I know?

Dave_pro2a

With as many people as there are out there manufacturing AK clones in the US, I can't imagine that it will be long before someone does start it up, licensed or just home-grown...

I think this is a silly rule...but what do I know?

Then they just make it a DD, which is not legal to own in WA.

tobyjones

All you guys looking at the negative side. I bet our good friends at the ATF are realizing their mistake banning the usas-12 and others and are going to lift the ban on them. :banana:

Obviously since we have companies customizing Sagias for use in competition there is a "sporting purposes" for them.
http://www.thehighroad.org//showthread.php?t=568449

Oh yea, And they are really sorry for bringing all those ARs to Mexico.
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...irms-walking-guns-to-mexico-to-pad-statistics
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/is-project-gunwalker-about-to-bust-wide-open

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Can you cite the RCW on this?

No, and it looks like I was probably wrong.

SBS and SBR are not legal. I assumed WA lumped DDs in with them, but a quick google found several threads on other forums that said DDs & AOWs were allowed.

amlevin

No, and it looks like I was probably wrong.

SBS and SBR are not legal. I assumed WA lumped DDs in with them, but a quick google found several threads on other forums that said DDs & AOWs were allowed.

I kind of thought so but I couldn't find any cite myself. I was earlier looking at the legality of owning an M-203 for an AR-15. I guess one can if they want to go through the process. Now THERE's a Destructive Device.

Stein

Maybe someone can point me to the part of the second amendment that requires a sporting purpose? I am also having trouble locating the part that requires I have any sort of justification or legitimate need.

Don't play that game or we will head down their rat hole after them.

Jayd1981

Come on, you know the ATF doesn't care about the second amendment. They will just say that they are not banning all guns, just the evil ones that you shouldn't have.

amlevin

Maybe someone can point me to the part of the second amendment that requires a sporting purpose? I am also having trouble locating the part that requires I have any sort of justification or legitimate need.

Don't play that game or we will head down their rat hole after them.

This an interesting "requirement" from the ATF because in 1939, the Supreme Court ruled in US v. Miller that

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument.
The argument against "Miller" possessing the Short Barreled Shotgun was that it had not been shown to be widely used in military units therefore had no "use" in a militia.

Seems like the ATF is playing both sides of the argument.

In a sense, the Miller decision makes a good case for the legalization of civilian ownership of M-16's with the same capabilities as those issued to the military. After all, isn't it the standard issue rifle to all "troops"?