• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Avoid Panera Bread - posted "no carry"

MKEgal

We in the greater Milwaukee, WI area planned an OC lunch get-together today (SAT22JAN) at a Panera where one of our members had eaten many times before (including last Sat.), while OCing, with no problem.

Upon arriving today, we were "greeted" by a sign on blaze orange paper saying that company policy is to prohibit anyone but on-duty police from "carrying or displaying" weapons on the premises.

We of course complied by not spending our money there, and are contacting the store & corporate to explain why their policy should be changed.

Here's the Panera "Contact Us" page: http://www.panerabread.com/about/contact/index2.php
I used "my experience at Panera Bread" as the topic.

Here's the corporate info:
3630 S Geyer Rd.
St. Louis, MO
Tel: (314) 984-1000
Fax: (314) 909-3300

Here's the store info:
2095 N Calhoun Rd.
Brookfield, WI
(262) 641-9999 - Phone
(262) 641-0392 - Fax
John Walch, owner
(But nothing is stopping you from calling & asking for his name yourself, & telling them you want to write him a letter about their new policy.)

Here's the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panera/85169964591
Until Panera responds, my post is under the "just others" link.

Here's the original thread about the meet-n-eat.
Post #29 has a picture of the sign:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ld-WI-SAT22JAN-lunchish&p=1450329#post1450329

MKEgal

The sign was posted w/ a Panera logo, and says that "Panera Bread prohibits..." etc.
(See the other thread for a picture; I'm not tech-savy enough to import it here. Sorry.)

So while we think this is probably just a local (WI/IL) aberration, they're telling the public that it's nationwide & a Corporate policy.
So... corporate boycott, letters & emails from across the country.

usamarshal

Panera is crap...loaded with tons of trans fat and calories...I never go there anymore anyway...local bakery's are the place to be.

eye95

I have never seen a sign in any of our Panera's here. I am anxious to hear the official corporate reply (or to find out that they are avoiding replying). Until then, my mind remains open, and I will continue to OC in the Panera around the corner from me, unless they kick me out.

david.ross

Those are independent franchises, however I'm contacting one of the managers in corporate.

FYI, John Walch own the Panera Breads in WI and one in IL.

Sounds like Panera might be the next Starbucks in the news.

I'll post an update tomorrow after I speak with corporate. There will be a solution or there will be a big hit in the news, their choice.

John Walch's phone number:
414-303-3513

Carlon Corp which owns the Panera Breads:
262-786-4500

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

Lets be honest, Milwaukee is like a Mini Madison of sorts. They hate the idea of a free peoples. I got stopped, cuffed, and searched for wearing just a holster after a Veterans day parade in 2008 while I was in a full uniform. The businesses are so used to the way Tommy Boy ran things that they are all scared to death of guns anywhere. I am not sure what Panera Bread you went to, but I know that the ones on north ave over on the east side, and the one out by Bayshore Mall are tight azzes anyway, so you would likely be out of luck going there for an OC night. I will send letters myself, in hopes that it will help, but I don't hold out much hope for milwaukee, thats why I left that town.

david.ross

Even though I originally decided to not call Mr. Walch, I spoke with him a short time ago.

I asked about the firearms signs and if they were recent, he confirmed.
He told me he discussed with managers and customers, some customers not liking the decision.

My conclusion is Mr. John has exploited the horrific Arizona shooting performed by a madman in order to pursue his own personal beliefs in regards to firearms.

MKEgal

insane.kangaroo said:
Corporate is already all over this; I'll post a response...
Could you explain a bit more, please?
What do you mean by "all over it", and what's their response (so far)?

This could be the next Starbuck's, or Peet's, depending on how willing Mr. Walch is to look at reality.
(Which I don't think he's considered yet. I mean, really - would a sign saying "no robberies" stop a criminal from coming in & robbing them? And while I realize the Constitution only protects us against the gov't, how far do you think he'd get posting a "no crosses" sign?)

Last edited:

frankd

Well, they don't need my money like I don't need their calories. Now if only Firehouse Subs served breakfast. I can dream, can't I???? :p

Blk97F150

I wonder if an employee/manager at that specific Panera got wind of your OC dinner there.... and decided to post 'just for the occasion'??

MKEgal

Blk97F150 said:
I wonder if an employee/manager at that specific Panera got wind of your OC dinner there... and decided to post 'just for the occasion'??
A couple people have talked on the phone with the owner of that location (who also owns most of the locations in WI, other than Eau Claire & La Crosse, who have already said they'd welcome us) and he confirmed that it was his decision.

He told all his locations to post signs, though many have not yet.
He also confirmed that he knows this will not stop criminals from coming in.
So he knows all he's doing is turning away law-abiding customers (& leaving the staff & patrons vulnerable because now criminals know they're all unarmed).
He also admitted that once WI gets Constitutional Carry (or... blech... the gov't permitted priviledge of concealed carry) there's no way they can stop armed people.
What he doesn't realize is that his sign will still keep us away. We won't patronize a place that doesn't want us & denys our rights. Criminals, OTOH...

One of our members talked with the manager of the Panera local to him, where he & his wife go (went) frequently, & she confirmed that they had an email this past Thurs. or Fri. telling them to post a sign.

So it's probably just his decision, but he's holding it out to the public to be a Panera Corporate policy. If you look at the picture in the other thread (the one setting up the meet-n-eat), the sign starts out with the Panera logo, then says "Panera Bread prohibits"...

The way it's worded, they don't even want police coming in to eat lunch there (since that's not part of their official duties). But I'll bet they wouldn't get thrown out.

Hopefully the people at Corporate will remember how Starbuck's came through with flying colors by following state law & refusing to ban law-abiding citizens. Heck, maybe they'll even call & talk with Starbuck's Corp.

ETA: Just called Corporate myself, left info w/ a customer service person who said he'd ask someone in legal to call me back. He did tell me that it's not a corporate policy. Panera corporate policy is to follow the law wherever they are, just like Starbuck's.

So maybe they need to point out to their franchisees where they agreed to follow corporate procedures... Isn't that usually the way a franchise works? It's not owned or run by the company, but the owner agrees to certain restrictions about the food, appearance, etc.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

MKEgal, the timing of the 'no guns' signs just seemed to be quite the coincidence..... right before you had an OC lunch there. It just made me wonder if perhaps the fanchise owner didn't hear about your gathering, and decide to post all his stores to specifically keep 'you' out?

Sounds like you have it under control. Nice job... and good luck with it!