• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you carry extra rounds when you carry?

Do you carry extra rounds?

• yes, no matter what, OC or CC, I always have spares to reload

Votes: 57 67.9%
  • Only if I am OCing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, but only when I carry certain firearms.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Nope!

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

mag71911

I'd say about 70% of the time I don't carry extra ammo.
My carry gun is a .45 1911, and usually I just have the one 8-round magazine in the gun, sometimes, more rarely, 8+1.
If I'm really going for a low profile, I'll carry with just a 7-round magazine (because it's shorter, and the gun I carry is already kind of big and heavy for CC-- stainless steel with a 5" barrel).
However, about 30% of the time I'll carry with an 8-round magazine in the gun (or 7) and a spare 8- or 7-round magazine in the mag pouch on the holster (DeSantis inside-the-waistband), so that I've got 15 or 16 rounds, total.
It depends on where I'm at.
FYI, I always CC, though I've no issue with OC and I support that method.
I'm just not comfortable with it for myself.

TechnoWeenie

Pistol on right hip, 7 round clip
Left hip two spare 7 round clips.

poster33090609rc9.jpg

Average Dad

If I didn't.........

I'd absolutely end up in a situation where I needed more than six....

2 inch Det Special with 2 Bianchi speed strips with .38 +P LSWCJHP.

Kirbinator

That's a heck of a question... if I was to be involved in a shooting, I'd rather have my .45 P-series Ruger in my hands than my Hi-Point C9. I have a dual magazine holder, which I've worn only at the range (with a cellphone and a pager on one side, and the firearm on the other, the belt gets a bit "busy"). The major detractor to the Hi-Point is the need to check the chamber if it jams. The Ruger P-series, having an open top, can be viewed from left or right quickly. While the .45 is a big gun, and carries few rounds as a result, it's still accurate and reliable. The C9 is accurate enough (probably still more accurate than I am), I'm not 100% that the gun can be fired quickly and reloaded quickly in the event of a jam.

With two ten-round magazines, I could carry 31 rounds with the C9, but only 25 maximum with the P-series. And I have two magazines which are seven rounds and one which is eight.

Still... heck of a question... I think I need to start saving for a vest...

Beretta92FSLady

When just out and about without my backpack (textbooks and such), I carry (3) 15 rd mags...well, one mag in the 92FS. In my pack I have a couple 32 rd'rs. You never know when you might find yourself in a pinch. I go to coffee shops late at night to study...always worries me I am going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but sometimes I just can't study at home, and nothing beats a tasty mocha!

BTW...:monkey<------he is dancing to Folsom Prison Blues

Don Barnett

No...I Don't Carry Extra Ammo

I don't carry extra ammo; it is a tactical and practical decision.

Not being an LEO, I do not expect to be using my weapon other than to frighten someone off or get out of a tough situation before I "get the hell out of Dodge".

An LEO may be expected to stay in a "hot" situation until it is settled; thus he would need extra ammo.

Non ego! I am going to shoot and run!

Besides, all that extra ammo is heavy!

sultan62

If OCing, I carry one spare mag with the XD45 for a total of 27 rounds. I carry the spare mag in a double mag holder with a flashlight in the other. I carry two speedloaders when OCing the GP100, which is typically fairly rare. If CCing, it depends on what I'm wearing, but typically no due to the fact that I don't have a good way to conceal the extra mag.

icebox13

Springfield XD9 that I conceal on my right side 16 + 1, plus two spare 16-rd magazines on my left side.

N605TW

Activist Member
I only open carry. I have a dual magazine holster but it takes too much room on my belt for every day carry so it has been retired into range duty only. I carry a Glock 17, I feel I can get myself away from a bad situation with 18 shots.

Huck

I carry enough for 2 reloads, minimum. When carrying my S&W model 10, it's a total of 18 rounds. Six in the pistol and 12 in loops on my belt. I sometimes carry more, but that's the average.

Thoreau

Both of my carry pieces are 13 rounds per mag, and one in the chamber with an extra mag on my person, so I've always got 27 rounds of Speer Gold Dots handy =)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I carry a 5" 1911, with a 7 round mag + 1 in the chamber, and two slightly-extended 8-round mags in a carrier on my weak side.

My reasoning for the above is as follows: I don't trust flush-fit 8-round 1911 mags (any of them), but I really want a flush-fit mag for my carry mag (open carry, but I would for concealed too), just because I don't need that mag sticking out banging against stuff all day every day. The best possible reliability is worth the loss of that extra round. Especially since I have extra mags, which I'd probably want after shooting 8 anyway.

So, 7-rounder in the gun, one in the chamber, and two 8-rounders on the side. That's a total of 24 rounds.

I carry CheckMate mags. Their 8-round Extended Stainless Steel Hybrid Magazine is a nice design; the extension is concealed by what appears to be and functions as a bumper pad, which is something I had been using on my spare mags anyway -- makes for easier reloads. It is also the only 8-round 1911 magazine I trust enough to carry outside a shooting range. (The picture on their website is wrong BTW.)

Last edited:

TrailRunner

It depends on if my holster has a secure pocket for a spare magazine, but I honestly think that anything over a spare magazine might be a tad overboard. (10 +1, +10 for 21 rounds) I mean, if the fertilizer really hits the aerator I'm not sticking around to duke it out with my handgun, I'm going home to where the real weapons are.

Badger Johnson

Intend to carry extra mags

I sometimes forget the extra mags but intend to carry-usually a pouch with two mags, 6 in each, 6 in the handgun.

Where I have difficulty is when going to the gym. Too much gear. Recorder, mini-cam, cellphone, knife, gun, swim goggles, headphones and MP3 player.

Maybe someone will invent a gun which does all of those things, lol.

since9

Campaign Veteran
33 rounds normally, but if I ever need to be in an area+time near where gunfights have occurred, I'll strap on the two-magazine pouch for 65 rounds total. I figure 33 rounds are probably enough to handle most lone nutcases like Loughton, but heaven help if I should ever inadvertantly run into a gang and retreat ceases to be an open.

Nasty bunny...

IMG_3706-croppedandresized.jpg

Last edited: