• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Stations

eastmeyers

I have open carried in a few Detroit Precincts, Southfield PD, Oak Park PD (had an argument and won, no big deal), Michigan State Police Oak Park Post (had an argument, agreed to disagree, was working and had to leave anyways), Ferndale PD, Hazel Park PD, Warren PD, Clawson PD, Troy PD, and Royal Oak PD. I only had issues at the two in Oak Park (city and state) and explained those above.

Onnie

I noticed in the Monroe county Sheriff building a sign says no cc allowed but it dont says anything aqbout oced I think

I think you are correct, i think it says something no loaded concealed weapons beyond this point or something like that

Also take note, that the sheriffs building is "connected" by a covered walk way on the second floor to the court house

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I have open carried in a few Detroit Precincts, Southfield PD, Oak Park PD (had an argument and won, no big deal), Michigan State Police Oak Park Post (had an argument, agreed to disagree, was working and had to leave anyways), Ferndale PD, Hazel Park PD, Warren PD, Clawson PD, Troy PD, and Royal Oak PD. I only had issues at the two in Oak Park (city and state) and explained those above.

Well know you can show the MSP post the email from their Major.

eastmeyers

Okay I can usually find it, but I CAN'T find it. Does anyone know, or can anyone find the LAW regarding the secured area of a a Police Station? I have a meeting with A Chief soon, and I need to know. I have carried all over this police station before (both open and concealed, declared) but that was with some detectives. I am not sure if the Chief wants me their, as the meeting is being insisted on. So if he tries to pull the card you can't carry here, I need to know weather to say sorry let me go put it away Chief, yes I can, or not bring it at all...

Help me!

Venator

Okay I can usually find it, but I CAN'T find it. Does anyone know, or can anyone find the LAW regarding the secured area of a a Police Station? I have a meeting with A Chief soon, and I need to know. I have carried all over this police station before (both open and concealed, declared) but that was with some detectives. I am not sure if the Chief wants me their, as the meeting is being insisted on. So if he tries to pull the card you can't carry here, I need to know weather to say sorry let me go put it away Chief, yes I can, or not bring it at all...

Help me!

There isn't one. The only law is in regards to a jail or prison.

Note that this law states intent, that is you bring a weapon in for a prisoner. I would think a lawful purpose would be allowed.

801.262 Prohibited acts; weapons.

Sec. 2.
(1) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the jail, a person shall not do either of the following:
(a) Bring into a jail or a building appurtenant to a jail, or onto the grounds used for jail purposes, for the use or benefit of a prisoner, any weapon or other item that may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.
(b) Sell or furnish to a prisoner, or dispose of in a manner that allows a prisoner access to the weapon or other item, any weapon or other item which may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.
(2) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the jail, a prisoner shall not possess or have under his or her control any weapon or other item that may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.

The MSP are using "secured area" to ban firearms from areas beyond the lobby. I have asked them twice under what authority can they do this. No response on a citation of law or rule yet. I'm guessing there is none they can cite.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Help me!

Perhaps you mean "sterile area" of an airport (not applicable)
Venator's correct. NO SUCH RESTRICTION
I don't know where this notion of "secure area" came from; I did notice it creeping into the discussions around the time that there was an issue with a group of our members being asked to leave a sheriff's department last summer. The problem is that someone makes a small mistake in writing, no one corrects it, and then it becomes almost "gospel" here. My intent is not to call anyone out… rather that we do a better job of policing the forums for errors and we correct them as soon as we see them. I would also suggest that people check their past posts for errors and edit them so that the incorrect information does not become what is remembered.

I know… a lot to ask and yes, everything written here should be verified. However, taking the time to make corrections may save someone from sounding foolish when speaking with LEOs, legislators, the public, etc. Even more important, proofing previous posts may keep people from being arrested.

Harry25

Wouldn't it be illegal to carry in the Hazel Park PD? There's a court in the same building...

Venator

Wouldn't it be illegal to carry in the Hazel Park PD? There's a court in the same building...

The mere presence of a court does not make it a gun free zone, unless you don't have a CPL. The gun ban is an administrative RULE made by the MSC and is a contempt of court not a firearm violation.

There are some Counties in Michigan that allow guns into buildings that house courts, just not in the court rooms themselves (Hillsdale, Clinton to name a few.). But many municipalities that are inherently anti-gun use this excuse to ban firearms from ALL places that may have a court. Like Lansing city hall with one court on the 5th floor, they use that to ban all weapons from the building and the PD adjacent to City Hall.

BTW most courts are in violation of the administrative rule, because they have to file a very detailed security plan to the Supreme Court, most don't.

See here for plan.
http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/resources/standards/cs_stds.pdf

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
BTW, this applies to a "jail or a building appurtenant to a jail" so in my opinion, since the "jail" portion, if there is any, belongs to the Police Station (not the other way around), they can't prohibit firearms in areas other than those exclusively used as a "jail".

I disagree, this seems to be one of those laws where they need "intent" to make it a crime. In this case, they would need to prove that you were carrying, "for the use or benefit of a prisoner" OC has nothing at all to do with that.

801.262 Prohibited acts; weapons.

Sec. 2.
(1) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the jail, a person shall not do either of the following:
(a) Bring into a jail or a building appurtenant to a jail, or onto the grounds used for jail purposes, for the use or benefit of a prisoner, any weapon or other item that may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.

eastmeyers

Not at all. Its up to the court, and their security plan, this court has the common courtesy, to not make the whole building a PFZ. The Court has medal detectors before you enter the court "area", which includes the actual court room, and were you pay tickets. The rest of city hall is A-Okay. I OC to pay my water bill (which is right in front of that medal detector) and usually talk with the deputy for a few minutes about whatever.

Also the Police Department uses a different entrance anyways, completely separate from the rest of city hall, the only way to get to the court from it is the basement secure entrance, which is only if your a Cop or a Prisoner.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Venator is correct about the "security plan" needing to be submitted... Also, I believe that the requirement is that the sign-age be written in very specific language. I haven't looked at the requirements in a few years so... I'll have to go back and look.

Last edited: