Thread: Looking for replacement pistol - high KE, good accuracy, and STYLISH?

Looking for replacement pistol - high KE, good accuracy, and STYLISH?

After having my revolver seized recently, with no guarantee it will be returned, I have decided to add a pistol to my armory (ex-Navy Gunners Mate). I have some unusual criteria, so I thought it would be awesome to get some opinions on the matter.

One of the things I feel modern OC'ers lack, is some STYLE! Most guns I've seen carried are black, police/military styled pistols. If we want civilians to accept them, wouldn't it be better to carry firearms that are more civilian like and actually add to someone's style? What comes to mind is pearl/chrome/ revolvers with solid wood grips; but a pistol is a more practical choice for Constitutionally challenged California OC'ers: particularly when it comes to loading quickly.

I like the styling of the 0.22 cal Ruger Mk III, but think it lacks power. The 0.45 cal Remington 1911 is closer to my performance desires, but comes in black.

Any suggestions?

A big ol desert eagle all chrome with gold leaf scroll-work all over it would be my choice.
    "I do not love the sword for its gleam, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I love only what they protect."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Ask brad9point0 for a picture of his taurus! IIRC, it has more bling than 50 cent could dream of.

I would like to get a nice stainless steel 1911 with some rosewood grips. my cousin has one, its pretty classy and has a little bling factor, but the SS is practical for carry too.

The Beretta U22 would go nicely with some weird looking nike running shoes. but its a .22.

I think the 1911 is a good choice because you can customize your grips and change them whenever, and you can get something thats stainless or two-tone or duracaoted to fit your style.

heres mine: not blingy, but it has more character than a black gun. (i carried a glock most of the time though)

heres another option, and i think its something like brad has.

you will always get bling points for a tiger striped gold plated DE:
    Last edited by dirtykoala; 01-22-2011 at 11:48 PM.
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtykoala View Post
    Ask brad9point0 for a picture of his taurus! IIRC, it has more bling than 50 cent could dream of.

I would like to get a nice stainless steel 1911 with some rosewood grips. my cousin has one, its pretty classy and has a little bling factor, but the SS is practical for carry too.

The Beretta U22 would go nicely with some weird looking nike running shoes. but its a .22.

I think the 1911 is a good choice because you can customize your grips and change them whenever, and you can get something thats stainless or two-tone or duracaoted to fit your style.

heres mine: not blingy, but it has more character than a black gun. (i carried a glock most of the time though)

heres another option, and i think its something like brad has.

you will always get bling points for a tiger striped gold plated DE:
    Whoa. Those are cool guns! Is the pearl one a 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Costa View Post
    A big ol desert eagle all chrome with gold leaf scroll-work all over it would be my choice.
    This is the closest I could find. An "all gold" (??) 24k Desert Eagle:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deserteagle3leftside.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	5032  

Here is a sweet 1911 and bad ass revolver (I've got a thing for revolvers):

Name:	DSC-0026.jpg 
Views:	1437 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	5033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engraved_13.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	5034  

Are you twelve?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 2 many View Post
    Are you twelve?
    I'll answer your silly question, if you can complete the other side of this equation. Kinetic Energy = 0.5*X*Y^2

????????

Quote Originally Posted by steele View Post
    I'll answer your silly question, if you can complete the other side of this equation. Kinetic Energy = 0.5*X*Y^2
    Funny on the other post. You said funds are tight. Now your taking about getting another firearm. I smell a. Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 2 many View Post
    Funny on the other post. You said funds are tight. Now your taking about getting another firearm. I smell a. Troll.
    I chose liberty and self-defense over RENT - I am homeless butthead.

The firearm I ended up buying today, on short notice, was a used S&W .38 Special 6'' Model 10 revolver: in the lower 10th percentile cost bracket...you do know what that is, right?

You never did figure that Kinetic Energy Equation - Ha Ha. I would highly recommend you cut back on cable to save money for a BRAIN! :P

Solution: KE = 0.5*X*Y^2, X=Mass, Y=Velocity
    This is how the military can use "puny" 0.22(5.56mm) rounds with great effect. Powder beats lead.
    Last edited by steele; 01-24-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Well, as I didn't have much money or time to waste, I went into a couple of gun shops today and come out with this baby (used S&W .38 Special, Model 10, 6''): who would have thought I'd end up choosing a 'Cop' gun? Ha ha.
    [picture similar, but not actual]

Name:	SWmodel10full.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	5042  

Quote Originally Posted by steele View Post
    I chose liberty and self-defense over RENT - I am homeless butthead.

The firearm I ended up buying today, on short notice, was a used S&W .38 Special 6'' Model 10 revolver: in the lower 10th percentile cost bracket...you do know what that is, right?

You never did figure that Kinetic Energy Equation - Ha Ha. I would highly recommend you cut back on cable to save money for a BRAIN! :P

Solution: KE = 0.5*X*Y^2, X=Mass, Y=Velocity
    This is how the military can use "puny" 0.22(5.56mm) rounds with great effect. Powder beats lead.
    If you double the mass of the bullet while keeping the velocity the same, you double the impact energy.
    If you double the velocity of the bullet while keeping the mass the same, you quadruple the impact energy.
    2 * Y = four times impact
    3 * Y = six times impact

This is a great concept, but only to a certain extent , you reach a point where the energy is no longer transfered into the target, but is actually carried with the bullet when it passes through the target.

The best mix is a round that carries a lot of energy, but transfers most, if not all of the energy into the body of the target, causing as much traumatic internal injury as possible, but essentially eliminating collateral damage to anyone/anything behind the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
    If you double the mass of the bullet while keeping the velocity the same, you double the impact energy.
    If you double the velocity of the bullet while keeping the mass the same, you quadruple the impact energy.
    3 * Y = six times impact

This is a great concept, but only to a certain extent , you reach a point where the energy is no longer transfered into the target, but is actually carried with the bullet when it passes through the target.
    You lost me at "if"... lol
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

Quote Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
    3 * Y = six times impact

The best mix is a round that carries a lot of energy, but transfers most, if not all of the energy into the body of the target, causing as much traumatic internal injury as possible, but essentially eliminating collateral damage to anyone/anything behind the target.
    I knew there were intelligent OCers out there! What a welcome change. Very well put. The physics most definitely does have practical limitations...although a tailored round shape and composition can work wonders.

For day to day affairs, the most important factor is simply to have a gun on your person - and you might as well look good, while doing it!