• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for replacement pistol - high KE, good accuracy, and STYLISH?

steele

After having my revolver seized recently, with no guarantee it will be returned, I have decided to add a pistol to my armory (ex-Navy Gunners Mate). I have some unusual criteria, so I thought it would be awesome to get some opinions on the matter.

One of the things I feel modern OC'ers lack, is some STYLE! Most guns I've seen carried are black, police/military styled pistols. If we want civilians to accept them, wouldn't it be better to carry firearms that are more civilian like and actually add to someone's style? What comes to mind is pearl/chrome/ revolvers with solid wood grips; but a pistol is a more practical choice for Constitutionally challenged California OC'ers: particularly when it comes to loading quickly.

I like the styling of the 0.22 cal Ruger Mk III, but think it lacks power. The 0.45 cal Remington 1911 is closer to my performance desires, but comes in black.

Any suggestions?

dirtykoala

Ask brad9point0 for a picture of his taurus! IIRC, it has more bling than 50 cent could dream of.

I would like to get a nice stainless steel 1911 with some rosewood grips. my cousin has one, its pretty classy and has a little bling factor, but the SS is practical for carry too.

The Beretta U22 would go nicely with some weird looking nike running shoes. but its a .22.

I think the 1911 is a good choice because you can customize your grips and change them whenever, and you can get something thats stainless or two-tone or duracaoted to fit your style.

heres mine: not blingy, but it has more character than a black gun. (i carried a glock most of the time though)
123.jpg

heres another option, and i think its something like brad has.
100SSPRL-11.jpg

you will always get bling points for a tiger striped gold plated DE:
DE25copy.jpg

Last edited:

steele

Ask brad9point0 for a picture of his taurus! IIRC, it has more bling than 50 cent could dream of.

I would like to get a nice stainless steel 1911 with some rosewood grips. my cousin has one, its pretty classy and has a little bling factor, but the SS is practical for carry too.

The Beretta U22 would go nicely with some weird looking nike running shoes. but its a .22.

I think the 1911 is a good choice because you can customize your grips and change them whenever, and you can get something thats stainless or two-tone or duracaoted to fit your style.

heres mine: not blingy, but it has more character than a black gun. (i carried a glock most of the time though)
123.jpg

heres another option, and i think its something like brad has.
100SSPRL-11.jpg

you will always get bling points for a tiger striped gold plated DE:
DE25copy.jpg

Whoa. Those are cool guns! Is the pearl one a 1911?

steele

Here is a sweet 1911 and bad ass revolver (I've got a thing for revolvers):

Attachments

• DSC-0026.jpg
    DSC-0026.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,487
  • Engraved_13.jpg
    Engraved_13.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 139

steele

Funny on the other post. You said funds are tight. Now your taking about getting another firearm. I smell a. Troll.

I chose liberty and self-defense over RENT - I am homeless butthead.

The firearm I ended up buying today, on short notice, was a used S&W .38 Special 6'' Model 10 revolver: in the lower 10th percentile cost bracket...you do know what that is, right?

You never did figure that Kinetic Energy Equation - Ha Ha. I would highly recommend you cut back on cable to save money for a BRAIN! :p

Solution: KE = 0.5*X*Y^2, X=Mass, Y=Velocity
This is how the military can use "puny" 0.22(5.56mm) rounds with great effect. Powder beats lead.

Last edited:

steele

Well, as I didn't have much money or time to waste, I went into a couple of gun shops today and come out with this baby (used S&W .38 Special, Model 10, 6''): who would have thought I'd end up choosing a 'Cop' gun? Ha ha.
[picture similar, but not actual]

Attachments

• SWmodel10full.jpg
    SWmodel10full.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 173

Decoligny

I chose liberty and self-defense over RENT - I am homeless butthead.

The firearm I ended up buying today, on short notice, was a used S&W .38 Special 6'' Model 10 revolver: in the lower 10th percentile cost bracket...you do know what that is, right?

You never did figure that Kinetic Energy Equation - Ha Ha. I would highly recommend you cut back on cable to save money for a BRAIN! :p

Solution: KE = 0.5*X*Y^2, X=Mass, Y=Velocity
This is how the military can use "puny" 0.22(5.56mm) rounds with great effect. Powder beats lead.

If you double the mass of the bullet while keeping the velocity the same, you double the impact energy.
If you double the velocity of the bullet while keeping the mass the same, you quadruple the impact energy.
2 * Y = four times impact
3 * Y = six times impact

This is a great concept, but only to a certain extent , you reach a point where the energy is no longer transfered into the target, but is actually carried with the bullet when it passes through the target.

The best mix is a round that carries a lot of energy, but transfers most, if not all of the energy into the body of the target, causing as much traumatic internal injury as possible, but essentially eliminating collateral damage to anyone/anything behind the target.

DooFster

If you double the mass of the bullet while keeping the velocity the same, you double the impact energy.
If you double the velocity of the bullet while keeping the mass the same, you quadruple the impact energy.
3 * Y = six times impact

This is a great concept, but only to a certain extent , you reach a point where the energy is no longer transfered into the target, but is actually carried with the bullet when it passes through the target.

You lost me at "if"... lol

steele

3 * Y = six times impact

The best mix is a round that carries a lot of energy, but transfers most, if not all of the energy into the body of the target, causing as much traumatic internal injury as possible, but essentially eliminating collateral damage to anyone/anything behind the target.

I knew there were intelligent OCers out there! What a welcome change. Very well put. The physics most definitely does have practical limitations...although a tailored round shape and composition can work wonders.

For day to day affairs, the most important factor is simply to have a gun on your person - and you might as well look good, while doing it!