• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So if HB 4009/4010 Goes through...

Kindyj

What does that mean for carrying on Universities and colleges, i know the zone is eliminated but does it mean it will be up to the school? Will it matter if they are federally or state funded at all? Will i need a CPL to Carry openly?

I'm new to this and have attempted to read the laws but i'm not sure which apply.

Bronson

It would only mean that carrying a concealed pistol in a classroom or dormitory would no longer be illegal. The college/university could, and probably would, enact rules for students and employees preventing them from carrying while on campus. While breaking these hypothetical rules wouldn't land you in jail it could result in your being expelled or fired.

Bronson

TheQ

Colleges with law enforcement powers are not currently subject to preemption. Ergo they could make enforcible criminal-like ordinances against carry.

stainless1911

Banned
That's correct. One of the first things we need to concentrate on after the removal of gun free zones, is to bring colleges back under the force of law. After that, then state and federal buildings, then businesses.