• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GFSZ app for iphone?

MrChoi

I wish there was an app where you can search for nearby schools and or measure a straight line distance from A to B. Currently im using the google map and search for Kindergarten, elementary, and school. If there is one of those nearby i'll get the walking directions and try to calculate the distance. not very accurate and time consuming.

anyone know if there is an app that will do the job well?

Thanks.

CenTex

I wish there was an app where you can search for nearby schools and or measure a straight line distance from A to B. Currently im using the google map and search for Kindergarten, elementary, and school. If there is one of those nearby i'll get the walking directions and try to calculate the distance. not very accurate and time consuming.

Thanks.

As you noted, anything that will work must be able to measure in a straight line from the nearest property line of the school in question to 1000'. It is not just 1000' of walking away from a school. You could be walking around buildings to get away from the school. It may take you 1000' to walk to the back side or opposite side of a mall that is across the street from a school. But that does not mean you will be a 1000' in a straight line from the school's property.

It is my guess that a GPS that can measure from one point to another point and give you the exact distance in feet is what OCers need. Until then, I think the best we have is Google Earth (GE). Personally, I would always add at least 100' to GE's measurement for assurance that you are far enough unless you are absolutely sure it is accurate.

Last edited:

Iopencarry

Most hand held GPS units will measure in feet, in a straight line, and also do a 'trip' measurement.

Check out Garmin Summits for an example.

While not the best way to go, as you must 'tag' the school line by being on the line, you can do it. just make sure you lock up first.

hgreen

Thanks.

Please view this post, you can help make such a thing be a reality.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?85619-Help-Map-GFSZ-(School-zones)-for-CA

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Thanks.

One of the defenses to a federal violation is that it was determined you reasonably didn't know you were in the zone. By having the app you have lost that defense.

CenTex

Most hand held GPS units will measure in feet, in a straight line, and also do a 'trip' measurement.

Check out Garmin Summits for an example.

While not the best way to go, as you must 'tag' the school line by being on the line, you can do it. just make sure you lock up first.

Well, I've never owned a GPS and didn't know this feature was available. Thanks for the heads up!

Pace

Yeah, and then the police just in case yuo do violate the law accidentally have a reason to say "You had a reason to know" that it was within 1000 ft.

Thanks.