• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Virginia, high-yield clip seizures rise

bom1911

Also, “Wow, the increase since the ban’s repeal really is striking.* What about the increase in crime and murders and general mayhem?”

Not so striking.* In fact, it never really comes up.*

Look, the Washington Post has limited resources. They can’t be expected to examine every little factoid you might whimsically desire.

http://planetmoron.typepad.com/planet_moron/

The Wolfhound

normal vs. high capacity

With the return to the marketplace of the normal magazine capacity equiped pistol as opposed to the artificially reduced (assault weapons ban era) capacity magazines, is it any wonder that more "seizures" would be including magazines of greater than 10 round capacity? If they seize a spare mag, does that count as a separate seizure to boost the count? About 75 years ago Browning came out with the "High Power" with a 13 round magazine. It is not new. It is not unusual. It is NOT high capacity. It is NORMAL capacity and has been since before the current gun grabbing crowd was born or graduated from diapers. If we use the term High Capacity magazine referencing the OEM magazines we are playing their game by their rules. We all know they will cheat anyway, why give them any advantage?

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
I wrote their ombudsman but got brushed off. He proclaimed 'it needs to go to the authors' yet if we had complained about something the Post was advocating for - like gun control - you can bet they would've jumped all over it.

I'm not so much worried about magazine vs. clip as I am concerned about 2 specific things.

1: The overt attempt to alter public policy to consider a capacity greater than 10 as high

2: The overall attempt - a blatant one at that, attempt to sway public policy in any possible way to restrict and ultimately abolish the right to keep and bear arms.

On point 1 - The industry standard determines what is "high", normal & low. A 9mm service pistol has a standard capacity of 17 rounds, commonly available in numerous models. 15 is a little less common but prevalent in the 'not quite full sized' 9mm service guns, and up to 19 / 20 rounds in models like the XDm, CZ, Beretta's px4 has a 20 rounder available, etc.

Point 2 - Pretty much an open fact, the Post has never supported an expansion of gun rights, never failed to support a gun control measure in my adult life. I'm sure it goes farther back than that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Many in the media have morphed the old phrase "The truth will set you free" to now reading more like "The truth hurts" so they avoid it (truth) at all costs.

Is it any wonder that Diogenes spent no time with newspapermen of his day? :uhoh:

W.E.G.

We need to STOP using the term "high capacity magazine" to describe magazines which are the normal-size magazine for which the gun was designed.

A 32-round mag that sticks way out of the bottom of the grip is fairly called a "high capacity magazine." The 17-round magazine that fits flush with the bottom of the gun, and is the same size as the magazine that the gun was designed around, is no more a "high capacity magazine" than the current 7-shot Model 686 is a "high capacity revolver."

Any magazine that holds fewer rounds than the normal capacity magazine is a "legislatively-mandated low-capacity magazine."

I realize I have about as much chance getting most people to stop describing magazines incorrectly as I might have getting Hollywood screen-writers to stop calling magazines "clips." I would hope that the folks around here would be easier to convince.

papa bear

I do love my F-150, but to call it a semi would be just as ridiculous, and to especial have the same regulations that a otr has would be even more ridiculous.
repeater, i like the rifleman avatar. isn't that a high capacity assault rifle? how many shots did he do in the intro? 12?

IanB

Ed forgot one, there's yet another type of magazine... [Edit: Holy cow, how do you resize this thing?]

1987_dec_cover.JPG

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ed forgot one, there's yet another type of magazine... [Edit: Holy cow, how do you resize this thing?]

Down load a picture by saving it to your files then you can resize it and attach it -
#2 1987_dec_cover.jpg
should come up as a "thumbnail" like this on which you can click and enlarge.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Well it's a good thing they're all in a huff about clips and not magazines because none of my semi-auto handguns use a clip so I'm good to go.

My thoughts exactly. And I have no idea what they mean by "yield" ... my magazines have to be "fed"; they don't actually produce anything at all. Reminds me of a scene in "My Cousin, Vinny": "Are these magic grits? Did you get your grits from the same guy who sold Jack the beanstalk?" Must be magic "clips".

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
I wrote their ombudsman but got brushed off. He proclaimed 'it needs to go to the authors' yet if we had complained about something the Post was advocating for - like gun control - you can bet they would've jumped all over it.

I'm not so much worried about magazine vs. clip as I am concerned about 2 specific things.

1: The overt attempt to alter public policy to consider a capacity greater than 10 as high

2: The overall attempt - a blatant one at that, attempt to sway public policy in any possible way to restrict and ultimately abolish the right to keep and bear arms.

On point 1 - The industry standard determines what is "high", normal & low. A 9mm service pistol has a standard capacity of 17 rounds, commonly available in numerous models. 15 is a little less common but prevalent in the 'not quite full sized' 9mm service guns, and up to 19 / 20 rounds in models like the XDm, CZ, Beretta's px4 has a 20 rounder available, etc.

Point 2 - Pretty much an open fact, the Post has never supported an expansion of gun rights, never failed to support a gun control measure in my adult life. I'm sure it goes farther back than that.

Exactly I call 15 round Beretta M9 / SIG 226 and 17 round Glock 17 etc 'standard capacity' magazines and I call the 10 round artificially lowered capacity magazines the 'Klintonista' magazines.
I call the 31/33 round Glock 9mm mags 'extended' magazines.