• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poor Discriminated Against By Carry Permit Costs

Dreamer

Dude, I hat to sound callous, but if you're only making $400/3 years (which breaks down to about $133/year) then the LEAST of your worries are getting a CC permit. Maybe you might want to get a better job, or at least file for unemployment or food stamps...

If you're only making $133/yr, then how on earth are you going to afford ammo, a good CC holster, and a decent firearm?

I for one have spent more than $133 in a single DAY at the range--especially if I'm training for USPSA or IPSC competitions...

I agree that FL's fees (and many other states too) are too high, and discriminate against the poor, but if you are only pulling in $133/year you don't even qualify as "poor"--that's getting into the "completely outside the system" range of economics...

Dreamer

Why are you justifying the denial of 2nd Amendment rights to those that can't afford it? Shouldn't the issue be ONLY the denial of 2nd Amendment rights regardless of the economic status of those discriminated against?

I agree with you 100%. I think that "Constitutional Carry" should be the universal law of the land in ALL states, and that states like FL that don't allow OC should be brought into line with the VT/AK/AZ standard.

I don't think there should be ANY fees associated with ANY form of exercising one's RKBA.

My point was that someone who is only making $133/yr probably has a LOT more pressing issues in their life, financially, than applying for a CC permit. How can they buy gas for their vehicle? How can they even afford a vehicle? How can they even afford ammo and a reliable firearm?

If you're only making $133/year, you're going to be pretty limited for travel, and under FL law, you CAN carry on your own property without a permit...

My point is that someone who is only pulling down $133/year should have a LOT of other things on their "to do list" that are WAY ahead of buying a handgun, ammo, range memberships, and getting a CC permit. How about thinking about getting a decent paying job, feeding your family, and engaging in society a little first?

robin.kevin

Well I must say I do agree that if you are only make $400 every 3 years there is an issue there, I wont say anymore than that as I dont know all the details but you are able to get help either with job placement or some other form of assistance.

But to the point I do agree with you, It only costs $75 for permit here in KY but trying to make all my other bills and support my family that has been very hard to save up and each time I get close something else comes up. Hopefully there will come a day when any law bidding citizen will have the right to carry conceal or open as they wish. Its a right not given to us by our forefathers not a right to be bought.

lowlux

My car is rotting apart in the driveway, I ride a bicycle 20 miles a day.... I get 50$ in food stamps a month.. I can not collect unemployment.. not that i am aware of...

I have ammo... I don't shoot it.

robin.kevin

Ok with that post this thread has become more than just discussion on the right that we all know we should not have to pay for. So heres my 2 cents worth.

Why are you riding your bike 20 miles a day? Work? If so you need to look up what minimal wage is in FL and demand that you are getting paid that. I think its like $7.15 here in KY. If its not then you need to look into getting a better job as if you are able to ride a bike 20 miles you are able to do a lot of jobs even if even just odd jobs.

Heres my other concern, if you are saying you have ammo but you dont shoot I assume cause you want to ration it, thats fine but with not shooting how can you guarantee that you would be able to handle your firearm proficiently enough not to harm bystanders? These are things that need to be taken into consideration from the post I just read.

As I said just my 2 cents worth not saying thats its correct.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Income or lack of it is not the issues here!

When someone is denied their rights solely because they cannot afford to abide by expensive mandatory permit and training fees, it is nothing but a kick in the nuts to that person.

I could not currently afford to pay those same fees, and none of us should be forced to pay those exorbitant prices to exercise our inherited and constitutionally guaranteed rights to keep and bear arms.

There is word of O-C getting banned in WI (if a certain douchenozzle gets his way) and the state going to a permit/training required C-C system only. What will this do? it will make me a criminal when I go into the woods to pick blueberries and I have my sidearm on if I do not pay the associated permit fees and pay some greedy instructor his 30 pieces of silver to grant me my privilege which used to be my right.

I absolutely refuse to pay the associated costs to be able to protect myself while the local bears, Wolves, Coyotes, and now mountain lions share their space and their food source with me intruding into their domain..

If WI does go the route of permit to carry, I will refuse to abide by it as protest to their "Pay to Play" scheme and I hope other will join me in protest too,
We are all in this together no matter where we live!

rodbender

I've been saying the same thing for years. I like Alaska's approach. Fill out a post card sized application. Mail in with $5.00. Wait a couple of weeks. Presto, CCL in your mailbox.

BillMCyrus

One doesn't have to be poor for high CCW cost to be budgetarily impractical. Consider the burdens people are strapped with these days: student loans, adjustable mortgages, insane city apartment rent, health/car/disability insurance, inflation, investment decline, rising utility costs, school costs...on to infinity it seems. There's a LOT of people who are just getting by for whom a $100-400 permit on top of a decent quality gun plus ammo is a huge financial impact, particularly if they live in a place where they'd have to do a lot of driving to find some place to practice. Combine that with social isolation if they don't know anyone else who is a gun owner and it's simply out of reach for them.

lowlux

Didn't the unibomber live on $20 bucks a month?

This is the land of the free.... you be lucky to make $200 a year around here... The education system is non existent.. had to ride a bus for 3 hours just to go to school.. didn't learn how to read till the 12th grade.

j4l

im calling bogus on this one, but that aside- where on earth is it costing u anything close to $400 for the class/permit?

most places it's around $175 max out the door... :banghead:

but, I do agree about fees at all- but..reality boils down to this- as with any kind of license/permit issued by a state/county/city gov't= revenue. it's all about they have yet another way to dig some $$ out of u. nothing more, nothing less..