• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA and GOA

swfaninwi

I recently received a membership upgrade from the NRA. I am a life member now and have been for decades. Is my money better spent on Gun Owners of America (GOA)? Is either really helping us here in WI?

I have no intention of creating a thread that bashes either. I would just like information.

M

McX

I would recommend neither, spend your hard earned money on Wisconsin Carry Inc. and get the best bang for your buck- so to speak. National organizations are nice and all, but Wisconsin Carry fights for citizen rights on the local level, state level, and helps to protect and defend the rights of it's members. Can the other organizations say that?

jpm84092

I recently received a membership upgrade from the NRA. I am a life member now and have been for decades. Is my money better spent on Gun Owners of America (GOA)? Is either really helping us here in WI?

I have no intention of creating a thread that bashes either. I would just like information.

You are already a Life Member of NRA so that is a done deal. NRA is the 900 pound beast in the room and has enormous political clout. Sure, sometimes they do not move quickly enough or some of us do not like their positions, but they have evolved over time. They once did not support Constitutional Carry but now do.

If you want to give more to "The Cause", Wisconsin Carry is a good choice. As McX points out above, the money you contribute to WI Carry does work in Wisconsin only and they have a proven track record.

Last edited:

AaronS

I would recommend neither, spend your hard earned money on Wisconsin Carry Inc. and get the best bang for your buck- so to speak. National organizations are nice and all, but Wisconsin Carry fights for citizen rights on the local level, state level, and helps to protect and defend the rights of it's members. Can the other organizations say that?

You are already a Life Member of NRA so that is a done deal. NRA is the 900 pound beast in the room and has enormous political clout. Sure, sometimes they do not move quickly enough or some of us do not like their positions, but they have evolved over time. They once did not support Constitutional Carry but now do.

If you want to give more to "The Cause", Wisconsin Carry is a good choice. As McX points out above, the money you contribute to WI Carry does work in Wisconsin only and they have a proven track record.

Well, you just got two very good reasons to spend any "extra" cash with Wisconsin Carry Inc.
I won't bash the other groups (right now), but WCI has done more in a year then any other has in the history of our state (well A.1 S.25 aside). Well I guess truth be told OCDO had a lot to do with the start of WCI, so some of the credit has to go to this site also.
WCI is involved in a few things that can not be talked about in public (I don't even know the details), but the org. is doing a lot as we speak, and more to come I'm sure. And talk about grass roots... You will never find a more down to earth group. WCI gets my vote for your money.:D

paul@paul-fisher.com

They all have their uses. I consider the NRA as the CEO who is involved with big picture items that have more of a national significance. They have the most clout. GOA is a little more activist but still at the national level.

WCI is the in the trenches organization in WI. They are the ones fighting the daily battles and helping win the war.

I would personally give the majority of the money to WCI and then potentially split it up to GOA and the NRA.

Another avenue would be to donate to Jesus Gonzalez defense or Skidmark in VA. The donation info for Jesus is stickied. For Skidmark, look on the VA forum.

AaronS

One more idea for any extra money we have.
I just can't stand it anymore. I think we need to start a 1911 fund for McX. I would like to see him with an AMERICAN made 1911, so the price is going to be in the $800-$1200 range.
At this time I am not even working, but I will put in the first $50. So think we can get all of the money for him?

McX, if I hit the lotto, you will have a free 1911 just like mine. Kimber TLE2 with laser grips (only part on the gun not USA are the sights). I know you will love it. Only wish I could do it for you now. Your a great guy.

Like all the "Made in America" stuff? I think it a point worth looking at. Guns for Americans, made in America, by Americans... What a thought...

Yooper

NRA/GOA/SAF to keep the federal government in check, if you want issues taken care of at the state/local level, then you need to support your local groups. While NRA/GOA/SAF will support proposed state laws, it is the local groups that get the legislators to write those laws.

swfaninwi

Decision

The NRA upgrade is $250

My decision:
Wisconsin Carry.
My 1911 fund. :D And yes, it will be American made.
Ammo.

Thanks all for the opinions and suggestions.

M

McX

someday guys, someday. i've done a stop gap measure, and picked out a .45 that will do for now, at entry level. you honor me greatly by suggesting a fund for a 1911 for me, but that's ok, i have to have something to dream of, and strive for. if i attain all dreams and goals, what will be left for me?
the important thing is the topic of this thread, and how it relates to Wisconsin Carry: i joined long before the Madison 5 thing, I continued to donated long before the Madison 5 thing. Because I beleive whole heartedly in our organiziation; This is one of those special moments, that you see in your life, and then you look back, and know it will never come again; the special people, the times together, the moment that will live within you for all time, that will bring tears to your eyes when you remember it. I think i said it some time ago; I belong to Wisconsin Carry, I beleieve in Wisconsin Carry, i donate my time and talents to Wisconsin Carry, because i want a future for my children that is free of the perils, and prattfalls that many of us have had to endure to have our inherant rights recognized. Yes, i guess i derive benefit from my association with Wisconsin Carry, but that was not my plan. my intent, then, now, and in the future is to build and fund an organization that will protect my children's rights long after i am gone. It is an incredible priviledge to be part of these historic times, and to be in the company of the most Honorable people i have ever met! Spend your money where your heart, and head direct you, and where it will do the best for ALL envolved, now and in the future.

protias

someday guys, someday. i've done a stop gap measure, and picked out a .45 that will do for now, at entry level. you honor me greatly by suggesting a fund for a 1911 for me, but that's ok, i have to have something to dream of, and strive for.

Is it an XD45? :p