Thread: KY bill to require destruction of certain firearms

KY bill to require destruction of certain firearms

SB 46/LM (BR 402) - J. Higdon

AN ACT relating to the destruction of firearms.
    Create a new section of KRS Chapter 500 to provide that a firearm used in the commission of a homicide, fetal homicide, or assault against a peace officer or firefighter shall be destroyed upon the conclusion of the criminal proceeding; establish the procedure for certification of destruction; amend KRS 16.210, 16.220, 237.090, 500.090, and 527.060 to conform.

Jan 4-introduced in Senate
    Jan 6-to Judiciary (S)

A companion bill has been introduced in the House as well. The actual bill is available via this link: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/11RS/SB46.htm

This strikes me as wholly symbolic.

Knowing this will cost the state in lost revenue, and will cost the state to actually destroy the firearms, I wrote to Higdon asking for his justification for the bill. He responded that the bill was requested by the Kentucky State Police. I have yet to contact Commissioner Rodney Brewer about it (502-227-8744).

In a letter dated 8 Nov 10, Officer Brewer stated that sale of confiscated firearms is "instrumental in equipping Kentucky law enforcement."

Activist Member
    I must agree. If it wasnt for those nasty firearms, the people that commited the crimes with them would still be good law abiding citizens. Boy, I wish we could get rid of all those evil things, so people will stop hurting each other........This is insane, trying to make the gun out to be bad, doesnt have nothing to do with the brain of the criminal that decided to pull its trigger. This bill will do nothing but put more strain on taxpayer pockets, a large source of LE funding comes from the selling of seized merchandise. I dont see this bill going anywhere.....

What if the conclusion of the judicial proceedings yields a result of justified or not-guilty?

The proposed bill does not distinguish between homicide and criminal homicide.

What is KY's definition of homicide? If I kill in self-defense I have still committed a homicide, a justified homicide.

What if the gun was stolen, would the state compensate the owner if the loss was uninsured and they knowingly destroy someones lawful property?

Odds are..., this WILL quietly Die in Committee, however; with The Giffords' Tradegy..., it is anyones' Guess...

Bad gun! Die!

Really? Elected officials spent taxpayer time drafting this, on purpose?

I didn't realize people could be this stupid and still remember how to breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    What if the conclusion of the judicial proceedings yields a result of justified or not-guilty?

The proposed bill does not distinguish between homicide and criminal homicide.

What is KY's definition of homicide? If I kill in self-defense I have still committed a homicide, a justified homicide.

What if the gun was stolen, would the state compensate the owner if the loss was uninsured and they knowingly destroy someones lawful property?
    Yes it does....

"shall be destroyed upon the conclusion of the criminal proceeding"

..and no they probably wouldn't, they would expect your homeowner's or renter's insurance to pay for the theft.

I still strongly disagree with this bill though
    Last edited by UnfetteredMight; 01-29-2011 at 10:15 PM.