• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stand Your Ground for 2011 legislative session?

DustoneGT

I see that the tortilla machine in Santa Fe is running again. Great to see proposed changes to CHL license renewal.

Who do we need to press on to get 'stand your ground', castle doctrine and civil immunity introduced?

Does anybody know if somebody is planning on it?

snoball

Like I posted in another thread, you need to get involved. None of the legislators will sponsor legislation unless there is a request. I offered to e-mail my letter to the legislators regarding Castle Doctrine and guns in NM State Parks to anyone on the forum that would want to write their legislator with similar requests and nobody wrote. That has to tell you something. Either nobody is writing to ask for gun law changes, or they already did it on their own.

68jimmy

I'd like to get copies of your emails.... Last session I wrote emails and letters to my representatives letting them know that I was in favor of improving the language regarding castle doctrine... I'll be happy to draft more if it helps.

you can pm me.

thanks.

donovan

snoball

Good news....Thanks NMBill and Steve for keeping an eye on these things. I know it takes time to sort through the bills to keep us posted.

NMBill

That's House Bill 136...

Although off-Topic, other Pro-Firearm Proposals are Brewing in New Mexico:
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s1940598.shtml

...that they're discussing. I have a feeling, given the recent events in Tucson, that this will probably NOT be the year for much movement towards more rational gun laws. Anti-gun public opinion seems to be on the rise and legislators, especially, seem concerned for their lives. I will give the President a gold star for ignoring a number of his fellow politicians and not mentioning gun control in his State of the Union Address. Elected officials are acting like someone just declared open season on them.