• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle, WA Officer Shooting

usamarshal

Most of you may already know about this case, but I was just wondering you guys thought about it. I'm definitely pro law enforcement, but I'm trying to understand why this homeless dude was shot and killed for.

From what I understand its legal to have a knife that has a blade under 3 1/2". Apparently this guy carved wood and had a 3" pocket knife that was folded up and walking down the sidewalk. Officer Ian Birk took acception to this as he saw the knife on him from his cruiser, took off after the homeless dude, said drop the knife four times, guy apparently didn't hear him, and the officer shot him like 4-5 times in the side of his body (all within about 4 seconds). From the circumstances the dude didn't hear the officer and didn't even see the officer shoot him. Probably cause he was drunker than hell.

From what I've read these are pretty much the facts. I'm trying hard to identify with the officer, but common sense tells me this dude wasn't a threat, didn't look to be breaking the law, and was pretty much minding his business. I believe that the shooting just wasn't justified and that this officer may be screwed and might get charged with murder.

What does everyone else think? I know for a fact that I won't be OCing anytime soon in Seattle...haha :shocker:

usamarshal

Heres a pic of the knife...I think my grandpa carried one like this too...

Attachments

• Knife.jpg
    Knife.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 149