• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal carry becomes open carry question...

robin.kevin

How is everyone, I have not been on lately. But I have a few questions that you may be able to help with.

I have open carry a few times but for the most part I rather carry conceal, just havent been able to come up with the funds to do so as of yet. But while trying to save up for my permit I have been preparing...

My carry pistol is a XD 40 service which I have found I like best in a pancake 3 slot holster either at 2 or 4 o clock. Usually it can be conceal pretty easy with a loose tee or a button up shirt untucked.

However my issue is that I am 6'3" and my shirts tend to ride up while sitting down, twisting or getting in a truck. So if my shirt rises up and shows the sidearm is it then just consider open carry or is exposing a conceal arm like this against conceal carry guidelines?

Also is it the same said I am just concealing with a jacket and decide to take my jacket off, at this time does it just become open carry and still legal?

Thank you,

Kevin

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Once you have obtained your concealed license, it doesnt matter if your firearm becomes visible or not in KY. Open carry is protected by state constitution and legislature can not make laws on it. However, if you do not have your concealed license, you always need to have your sidearm exposed, while driving in your vehicle I would recommend putting it in the glove box, because even though open carry in a vehicle is legal, you never know what a cop could say, if he cant see it when he is speaking with you, he could say it was concealed. But to aswer your question, there is no such thing as exposing a concealed sidearm in KY. Only thing exposing a concealed gun might do is alert someone who might have seen it and get you an unwelcome stop from law enforcement, even though it would be illegal, it could still happen.

robin.kevin

Thats what I thought... LEOs like to give hard time to people open carry anyhow from my personal experience.

Thank you for confirming this it puts my mind a little more at rest knowing that it wont have to be 100% concealed at all times. I am going to try getting some longer garments that wouldn't ride up so much but that can be hard to do with my tall frame.

neuroblades

Thats what I thought... LEOs like to give hard time to people open carry anyhow from my personal experience.

Thank you for confirming this it puts my mind a little more at rest knowing that it wont have to be 100% concealed at all times. I am going to try getting some longer garments that wouldn't ride up so much but that can be hard to do with my tall frame.

Simply put, keep your sidearm in plain sight! In your vehicle, you can have your sidearm openly visible or in the factory glovebox, NOT the center console, if your vehicle has one!

Just that simple

robin.kevin

Simply put, keep your sidearm in plain sight! In your vehicle, you can have your sidearm openly visible or in the factory glovebox, NOT the center console, if your vehicle has one!

Just that simple

If I was going to keep it in plain sight then I would just open carry at all times. I am not one to open carry all the time.

hotrod

Open Carry/Conceal Carry

I open carry as much as I conceal carry and have not had a problem with any law enforcement. In NKy, Leo's know the law and wouldn't worry about someone bothering you either way

Last edited:

robin.kevin

Thats good... I never have had good experience with Florence PD. Boone Co. is a good PD tho. I now have to deal with Grant Co. PD and they know the law, they still act like you should have a permit to carry.